Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all cars!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Wildroot, your Plymouth is a P19, right? Glad to see another old MOPAR man. I thought I was the only one, and mine is a 50 P20, and a daily driver. Regards. Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, actually it's a P-15. A model that started in 1946 and lasted to early 1949. Good to hear that you drive your Plymouth every day!!! Mine is the only car I own! :D So, where ever I go, she goes! I just took her on a road trip to Redlands Ca. It's a 70 mile trip from my house and she took it like a champ.

Keep them Plymouths rolling!

Root.

PS. Have any photos of your 50 P-20? I would like to see.;)

Michaelson

One Too Many
I sure do, if somebody would like to post one for me. Mine is my everyday work car, and like you it's my ONLY car (the wife drives our truck). Mine is the Special Deluxe 4 door with a roaring 95 hp 217 flathead six. I can almost outrun large riding mowers, but it goes. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

renor27

One of the Regulars
calling all cars

well it is not a car but is one of my vintage bikes.
1962 BMW R27 single 250cc with Jawa sidecar.
Yes BMW built singles from the early 1930s to 1966 some where sold as late as 1969. Top speed maybe 55 mph but so much fun to ride.
I am building an other 1962 BMW this one is a twin 800 cc with a 1942 Stoye ( German sidecar). It should be done in another month or so. Will post photos of that when it is finished.
Any of you from the Bay Area California and want to set up a vinatge car or bike drive around Lake Tahoe next summer ? Maybe even a camp out @ the Lake?

JumpinHowie

New in Town
those are some beautiful autos. I've always had a thing for the lines of the '37 packard...
00347459101.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by Matt Deckard
Notice how her face changes when she sees me!

IMG_0714-vi.jpg

HahahaLOL

That's priceless. Root really knows how to dress. How many suits does he have?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I'll answer that one! I have about 13 or so full suits. I have around 7 or 8 suit/sport coats and about 20 pairs of pants. All ranging from 1938 to 1955. I have three pairs of knickerbockers from the 30's. I have been collecting since 1996. I would have a larger collection if I got started when Art did. :D

I'll be posting some photos of my collection soon.

Root.

PS. That girl?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s face changes because she sees Matt has a camera. :p She don't like cameras. LOL

Michaelson

One Too Many
My only problem in driving mine everyday...everywhere, is that it takes me TWICE as long to get from point A to point B...and it's not due to the mechanic function of the vehicle. I'm stopped by every older couple, farmer, or (as seen above) young lady who either want to look the car over, or tell me their life history as related to a Plymouth that their father or GRAND father used to own. I'm never at a gas station less than 20 minutes for a fillup....3 or 4 for the car, the rest to listen to stories from complete strangers! Interesting stuff too. Who would have believed that 4 door sedans like ours would attract such attention as shown above when they were built 50+ years ago! These particular cars were considered as pedestrian as they get! (Oh, Matt, in case you didn't know, these particular cars biggest selling point, and touted way up in their advertisements, was the head room for mens and womens hats....MUCH greater than any other car maker in the U.S. at the time! You can see why in your photos. If it's like my car (and it is), there at least 3 inches clearance over his head in your picture.) Regards. Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Head room? Yes it does! I love it!!! All my driving life I had these imports like Toyota and Mazda. No head room!!! Now I have this, oh boy! It's like living room in there!

The stories I have heard are close to yours! I get asked questions all the time regarding my P-15.

Any way, I always leave early to get to where I need on time. I really enjoy driving that car.

Keep them Plymouths rolling!

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
More importantly, keep them 'stopping'. Finally found a new set of rear brake shoes and had them installed this weekend. I'm going to have one wheel brake cylinder replaced at the end of the month. Parts aren't to hard to find, but finding craftsmen who can install them correctly is dicey at best over here. I even make sure I'm standing nearby before anyone removes a tire. Not to many kids know that the lug bolts have clockwise and COUNTER clockwise threads on each side of the MOPAR products like ours.:( Well, for the time being, folks in front of me won't have to worry about a 3600 pound chunk of Detroit iron ending up in their trunk anytime soon.;) Regards. Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Do you get your parts form Andy BernBaum? That's where I get mine. Yeah, soon I'm going to need to get my front brakes looked at soon.

I am so lucky! There are two or three shops in Monrovia that work on old cars! And I do know all about the young kids that don't know about the lug nut thing.

Well, I'm considered a young kid at 26 years, but I know more then they do about these vintage autos.

Keep the Plymouth rolling and stoping! LOL

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
No, but have read of several Plymouth folks who do order from Andy. I pick mine up here and there as I need them. My latest shoes came out of a Ft.Worth Texas brake shop that was clearing out old inventory. You're never wrong to pick up extra anything and squirreling it back for a later installation date. Regards. Michaelson
p.s. on a related note, was reading a May 1953 issue of Popular Mechanics this weekend, and they were giving a glowing review of the 53 Plymouth's low gear ratio...'....strong enough to pull the Queen Mary off a mud bank!" Unquote!:eek:

Wild Root

Gone Home
:eek: That's cool! You know, I have a friend and he thought I was crazy to buy a Plymouth! He said that he would never buy a post war Plymouth. He's more of a Lincoln and Ford man. You know, I have heard some really good things about Plymouth. It was sold in such large numbers because it was affordable, and it was a good car! I do wish that they did make them with an 8 in sted of a 6 just for free way driving. But, I do ok in the slow lane going about 55 or 60.

My family has been known to own Plymouths way back. I have seen a photo of my father?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s folks standing by a 1939 Plymouth and then later after the war my Aunt told me that they had a 46 P-15. It was a two door sedan. Mine is a four door. My Dad told me that the first car he drove was a 1950 Plymouth four door. So, I let him drive my car to Church one Sunday! He said it was like going back in time. My Grandma and Grandpa had Chryslers ever since. I was the first in the Family to buy a 46 Plymouth since the 40's. It's kind of a nice thing to carry on. My folks are Mitsubishi drivers now. They have gone import on me. Well, what ever they like is ok with me.

I'm going to stick to American made. As long it's 60 years old.LOL

Regards,

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Man, Root, we're turning this into a Plymouth lovers area. Sorry about that folks. I'm the same as you, though...background wise. We were raised in Plymouths all the way through. My first memory of the family car was our 1956 Plymouth Savoy two tone (red/white) 2 door. My first car was a 1972 Fury III, so it's in the blood too. Let the 'locomotives' roll!! (grins) Nice to find a brother in arms here! High regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn