Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all cars!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have heard about some of your vintage autos but I would like to see them! I would like to see cars that you have, or the ones you may dream of having. Yes, bring on the dream cars as well!

Here is a photo of one of my dream cars. A 1934 LaSalle 350 Series convertible. What a honey of a car! This car just drips with Art Deco Styling. I wish I owned one. But hey, some day I just may.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I can't afford iron from the prewar years, so I settle for 'newer' stuff...

PICT0017.sized.jpg

My '74 Datsun 260 Z. Rock solid dependable, sweet on gas, and handles marvelously.

P1010004.jpg

My '72 Plymouth Fury III. Loud, breaks often, and sucks my wallet dry. She's headed for Austrailia, where she'll be well-cared for.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, pre war cars can cost. But, most cost less then a new car! If you found a pre war Plymouth or Dodge, then you would be spending around only $5000. to 8000. for a car that is in good condition, drivable, and ready to go. If you want a Cadillac, or Lincoln, or even a Ford, you would be spending some cash on it! It all depends on where you live and who you know!

I drive my 1946 Plymouth every day. It's the only car I have and she does well! Yes, she has given me some grief, but it's all worth it! The more work I put into her, the more she's worth! Most post 70's cars will only go down in value as the years go by.

In the state of California, all cars must be smog checked, and must have turn signals and seat belts! Unless, your car is pre 1975! If you have a car that was made before 1975, its exempt form that law! So, funny! The state that is the most uptight about pollution looks the other way when it comes to classic or vintage autos. Awesome! Also, I'll never get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt!

Ok, let?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s see some more money pits!

Root

PS. I did mention dream cars as well! So, lets see what cars some of us dream of having!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I took a look at the link. Good stuff! Have you ever heard of the Nethercutt Collection in Sylmar California? Well, here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a link for ya to look at. It's truly amazing what they have done and continue to do! Their restoration shops are one of the top in the world!

Regards.

http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/index2.html

PS. Here is a photo of just one of their show rooms with the silver Duesenberg in the middle being appraised at 5 Million!

Dalexs

Practically Family
I found this in the garage of the vacation house we were renting in New Hampshire:

oldcar.jpg

My brother in law thought it is a 1932 Ford Prefect.
I'm totally sureabout that because of the headlights built into the fenders.

It hasn't been out of the garage since about 1971 (at least that was the last time it was registered.)

I really wanted to take it out for a spin...

Dalexs

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Prefects are European market cars. The fender and grille design has no backward rake to it, and they look very similar to classic London cabs. Is the one in the vacation house garage right-hand drive?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Prefects are European market cars

Ah, I was thinking just that! European cars are all left handed steering like here. Only the U.K. drives on the left side of the road. I was told by a friend of mine who grew up in Spain, lived in Switzerland, London, France and Germany said that only England drove on the other side of the road.

It is a 1949 model! I also saw a photo of a 1939 model and it looked the same with the exception of the grill looking a little different. Same body and fenders though. Seems they kept the same body style all the way through the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s!

Regards.

Dalexs

Practically Family
oldcar2.jpg

you might not be able to tell from this photo but it is a left hand drive vehicle.
And yes, the Prefects were built in Dagenham, Essex.
The engine has anice big ID palte right in the front.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Huh, European autos in the late 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s looked late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! Over in the U.S. cars developed faster and style really played a big roll. Did you know in England that they still were rationing petrol and food all the way into 1948? So, I guess that it makes sense that their post war cars looked earlier then the cars being made over here. They stopped making cars earlier because of obvious reasons. The U.S. continued to build cars till mid 42.

That interior shot is great! Funny how the instrument cluster is in the middle of the dash! A friend of mine has a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr and it has one large round dial that all the other instruments are in. It is located in the center as well. Like in this photo!

Cool photos for sure!

Regards.

up196

A-List Customer
Greetings! This is my first post, so I hope the picture works. It's a photo of a 1931 Ford woth a 1941 Hawaiian license plate. Maybe it should go in the WWII section . . .

Wild Root

Gone Home
up196, welcome to the Fedora Lounge! And, I am so happy that your first post was to a thread that I started! :D

That is a nice photo! Is that your car? I really like early Fords! From 1920 to 1946 Fords had some nice styles. But today they are not cheep! One could buy a 1940 Ford coupe for the same price as a 1940 Packard!

Any way, thanks again for making your first post to this thread!

Cheers!

Wild Root.

PS. No, this post is not missed placed! I love the fact that it has WWII Hawaiian Plates! Those are rare and I love seeing early cars with later plates as it would have had in the early 40's! I also like the fact that you have the correct helmet on as well for early war impression. A+;)

Bogie1943

Practically Family
When I see that LaSalle, all I can say is WOW. Oh my dream car, there is so many, I have been driving around town, seeing so many restored vintages lately. I wish I had the cash to buy just one of them, oh I will just have to keep dreaming.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, the 1934 LaSalle is just a work of art! You know, I only paid $5,000 for my Plymouth. Cheaper then a newer used car. Will only go up in value as well! So, if you ever get some money or a really good deal on a loan then I can help you out and find that car you want!

Root.

PS. Plymouths are good cars and so are all other Chrysler products! ;)

up196

A-List Customer
Hello again, and thanks for the warm reception, guys. And now, for the story behind the picture. It was taken last Saturday in front of the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans. The car was set up as part of the Living History Corps event on the War in the Pacific, hence the 1941 Hawaiian plates. Good eye on the helmet ID, Wildroot. It's a US 1917A1, a modified version of the WWI helmet that was in use from 1936 through 1941 . . . Tom

PS The license plates are repros, and they add a nice touch. I also have a 1931 Louisiana plate for the car as well.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Have any other photos you would like to share of that swell 31 Ford?

Today, I went to see a guy that fixes vintage cars exclusively! He really knows his stuff! There I saw a 1938 Chevy convertible coupe! Very lovely car! All stock and just a work of art. It looked like this one but, only in that late 30's light green color.

Even has a rumble seat!

Some day,

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails