Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all cars!

Darek

New in Town
Here is my classic car
The one on the left is mine
715rally.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's cool man! What year is that? Is it a Dodge? Please tell us some about it! As for it being a classic car.... it's not. :D I would fit that under more along the lines of vintage military vehicles.

Please tell us about it!

Root.

Darek

New in Town
Its 1967, which doesn't fall into the Golden Era, but I saw someone posted their 70's automobile so I figured why not LOL
Its a Jeep M715, been restoring it for over a year.
What is the time difference between "classic" and "vintage"? As far as I know, "A vintage car" is not a correct sentence. "A car of 1942 vintage" however is

Wild Root

Gone Home
Classic or Vintage?

Well, Vintage is indeed a correct term. I took a tour of the Nethercutt collection in Sylmar California (Which I highly recommend!) which has some of the worlds most collectable autos. They have also the top restoration shops in the world. I asked our tour guide what qualifies as auto to be a “Classic� car. He told me this… A true Classic car is any high priced or expensive auto from the 20’s to the late 30’s that has more then 8 cylinders like, Cadillac, Lincoln, Duesenberg, Bentley, Mercedes, Rolls Royce and so on. Cars made in the same years that have 4 to 8 cylinders like, Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge Hudson, and so on, are known as Antique. Now, Vintage autos are any car made from 1946 to 1959. And your Truck fit’s right in the Special Interest category which is autos made from 1960 to 1975.

So, seeing that The Nethercutt Museum only has the most knowledgeable men to give the tours, I take his word to be gospel in the matter, especially since they have a 1936 Duesenberg that’s worth 5 million in their collection that has won countless best of shows at all major events across the world.

Highest regards,

Root.

PS. Here is a photo of just one of their show rooms. The silver Duesenberg is the one I mentioned.

Darek

New in Town
Very interesting, I was always wondering the exact definitions of classic, vintage, antique, etc.
Thank you :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say now, that's a good photo! She is really stock looking! I like it. Model A's are sure going to be around for a long time! They just keep running and there are enough people that love them to keep them running. Clubs and such are great for old cars.

So, she's a star eh? That's a good way to pay off the car. I need to do that my self! Maybe they would even get her painted and do some more work on her! Hummmmm.... Ideas ideas!

Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Wild Root
Packards are very nice cars! Would you say this is one of your dream cars?

Another car of my dreams has always been the 1948 Tucker.

Root.

HAHA That girl is a friend of mine. Her name is Theresa. Yeah her husband is in the Navy, you don't want to compete...trust me haha

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Hey Michaelson, I've been trying to e-mail you. Please e-mail me at e.dickerson@cox.net

Well I've got a 1930 Ford Model A, a 1966 Ford Mustang coupe, a 1936 Ford tudor Slantback, and now it looks like I might pick up a 1936 Ford four door humpback, or touring sedan.

As far as the 36 slant, it's nowhere near being done, I got the Mustang, finished that, and haven't touched the 36 since, this new...ahem old 36 is completely restored, all I am going to do is put in disc brakes, power steering etc... It's a beautiful car, haven't won it yet, so... STAY OFF EBAY!! haha

Regards,

Dan

Michaelson

One Too Many
WELL done. Sounds like your stable got filled out nicely! I'll send you an email Post haste (meaning now? (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Re: power steering etc...

Originally posted by Wild Root
Why?

Well... because I almost lost my precious Mustang on the freeway thanks to my steering. Besides I'm built like the Governator anyway... (ok ok I promised I wouldn't lie...)

Regards,

Dan

Wild Root

Gone Home
I can understand about the brakes being upgraded to disk, because it took Ford for ever to go to hydraulic brakes. Plymouth and Chrysler products had hydraulic brakes as early as 1934 or maybe earlier. Is there a way to have power steering and keep the original steering wheel? To me, I would keep it as stock as possible. But, I know that with power steering you will steer lots easier but that’s just adding more that could go wrong in my opinion. With the simple designs and way things were built then I don’t see too much going wrong with the steering. But, I don’t know to much about Fords though.

Any way, happy restoring! And I can’t wait to see some photos!

Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Wildroot,

If I win it tonight I'll post a link, but until it's over I'm afraid it will be in my mind. I've lost a car to a former forum member (Indygear not Fedora Lounge, you guys are too nice ;-) )

this one is nice, four doors aren't worth as much but they look classier to me.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Four doors are classy! That’s what I have is a four door. I don’t care for two door sedans, but I like the coupes! They looks sporty and slick. But, I really like the big four doors with those nice suicide doors.

Well, we’ll just have to wait to see if you win this car.

Happy bidding!

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn