Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft vs Bushman

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I decided against ordering a Snowy River because of comments that the crown is a little short, meaning the hat rides higher on the head than, say, a Stetson cowboy hat.

Photos I've seen of both the CD and the Bushman show a lot of guys wearing the hat higher above the ears than I would (I like the hat to come to just above my eyebrows).

Are guys wearing their Bushmans and CD's higher deliberately, or do the hats ride higher naturally?

Also, photos of the new and uncreased Bushman show a very "dished" brim. How much working does it take to get that front and back dip of most Aussie hats?

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Doc, they don't ride any higher than any other hat. To me, that's the way a hat is supposed to fit. If it's lower, touching my ears, then it is too big. I like a hat to sit about a fingers width above the ears to allow room to tilt to the side or back or both. This is subjective and depends somewhat on your head shape and how any hat fits you. You may be more comfortable for a variety of reasons to wear a hat lower. To each his own.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Doc, they don't ride any higher than any other hat. To me, that's the way a hat is supposed to fit. If it's lower, touching my ears, then it is too big. I like a hat to sit about a fingers width above the ears to allow room to tilt to the side or back or both. This is subjective and depends somewhat on your head shape and how any hat fits you. You may be more comfortable for a variety of reasons to wear a hat lower. To each his own.

Interesting. My hat size is between 7 1/4 (58 cm) and 7 3/8 (59 cm). This means I'm either blessed or cursed with the ability to wear either size most of the time. A lot of 7 3/8 hats are a little big on me, but I usually get that size to allow for shrinkage. A 7 1/4 hat usually fits a little tight or just right, but if it rides a little high it gives me the sensation it's going to slide off my head.

So if I read your post correctly the hat should sit on my head where I want it as long as I order the slightly larger of the two sizes that I can wear?

tommyK

One Too Many
Akubra's have a reputation for shrinking a little, especially the Imperial grade. So, yes, most likely you'd be happier with the larger size. I wouldn't go bigger than the 7 3/8 though, they don't shrink that much

You can screw a Campdraft or Bushman down just like a Resistol or Stetson western.
Here is a shot of Glen Grey Campdraft how I wear it...

As far as dished out brims, they are snap brims = the edged brim can be snapped down all around or in front only.
If you soak them well, you can shape them & set them to most any shape you like just remember there is tension in the brim due to the material of the binding.

Interesting. My hat size is between 7 1/4 (58 cm) and 7 3/8 (59 cm). This means I'm either blessed or cursed with the ability to wear either size most of the time. A lot of 7 3/8 hats are a little big on me, but I usually get that size to allow for shrinkage. A 7 1/4 hat usually fits a little tight or just right, but if it rides a little high it gives me the sensation it's going to slide off my head.

So if I read your post correctly the hat should sit on my head where I want it as long as I order the slightly larger of the two sizes that I can wear?

Yep, get the 59 & it'll come to your noggin with regular wear....

ingineer

One Too Many
Doc;
Follow gtdean,s advice.
Go big on the CD or Bushman
i am 60.3 cm, and a 61 shrinks to that size in a year,
For the Bushman or even the CD ..tell the vendor or the phone your head size.
Most will accommodate you esp David Morgan. they found me a a small 61 that after a year is the most perfect fiting hat other than custom i have.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Do any of the Aussie vendors offer to bash an open crown hat for a fee like David Morgan does?

Really I've bashed many of my own hats over the years but I'd kind of like to have a professional job done.

I changed one of my Stetson Hutchins to a fedora bash and it looks a lot like a Campdraft from a distance now, but in the future I think I'd rather pay a pro to do it.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Do any of the Aussie vendors offer to bash an open crown hat for a fee like David Morgan does?

Really I've bashed many of my own hats over the years but I'd kind of like to have a professional job done.

I changed one of my Stetson Hutchins to a fedora bash and it looks a lot like a Campdraft from a distance now, but in the future I think I'd rather pay a pro to do it.

Sam at EA is pretty approachable about most things. I would take some time to fully develop what is wanted and look at what they offer.

Give it a try.

Fed

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
I love my Bushman. I've worn it pretty much every day up here in the mountains of East Tennessee.
997.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana