Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft vs Bushman

T Rick

Practically Family
I have both and I prefer the Campdraft. Here is the Campdraft with open crown.

campdraftsmallao8.jpg

Here it is creased.

imgp57173mediumsmallmc4.jpg

My Campdraft is made of lighter felt and feels more vintage. And at the current exchange rate the Campdraft is a real bargain.

Sam Craig said:
And now I am told that the CD is a lighter color ... not really brown,,,, so I presume I am waisting my time with Akubra at all.

Well, I am not trying to talk you into the Campdraft at all. I think you should end up with whatever suits you. It's just that it seems to me like you are ignoring the "Mid Brown" Campdraft, and I know you really like the one you have.

The Fawn version of the Campdraft is the one I've seen referred to as a lighter color. Don't recall reading that of the Mid Brown at all. In fact I do seem to recall someone lamenting that the Mid Brown was a bit darker that they'd anticipated (was it Neophyte maybe?).

But I know it is difficult not being able to see the actual color to judge for yourself. One of the drawbacks of being able to only order a product, via internet, snail mail or telephone.

BTW, that post quoted above was from the Open Road Vs. the Campdraft thread. I think the color shows it to be a true brown (though it may not appear quite as dark in person as these pics suggest, I still do think it a true brown).

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Rick,

First of all ... I am shocked, SHOCKED, to find out there is gambling in this establishment!

Having gotten that off my chest, thanks for the input.

Yeah, I am pretty thrilled with the build and quality of the CD and mid-brown may well be the way to go. I think I have a link to the Aussie site that lists mid-brown.

The dimensions of the CD are certainly closer to what I am looking for ... probably even a little closer than the Borso I tried ... not to mention significantly less expensive!

I actually tried on the Borso and, man, what a hat! But at that price, I might be afraid to wear it.

Thanks again for the help, everyone and thanks to Jim for hooking we up with the Akubra ... they should have a store in every town!

Sam

EggHead

Practically Family
I think that colors are saturated in that mid-brown CD picture (judging by the colors of leaves). But it sure looks like a great brown color. I may order it myself in 6 months or a custom.
I have a Regency fawn hat and its brown color looks a bit pale (not as rich) compared to this one. Still like it though.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I'm really not meaning to use this thread to just kvetch, but when I checked on the Aussie site that has the mid brown, the only one I know of any way, it noted that there would be a three month wait.

I'm starting to think that the DM brown Squatter would be a good choice!

Thanks for all the input,

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm really not meaning to use this thread to just kvetch, but when I checked on the Aussie site that has the mid brown, the only one I know of any way, it noted that there would be a three month wait.

I'm starting to think that the DM brown Squatter would be a good choice!

Sam

Sam,
The current offerings from DM in the Squatter are the Mid-fawn ( a nice reddish brown but lighter than the Mid-Brown) and the Moonstone Grey. Here's my Mid-fawn DM Squatter for you to reference.
BTW, Dm gives open crown dimension of 5 1/2" and brim width of 3" which all 3 of my DM Squatters are.

11-8-10004.jpg

Squatter1013.jpg

Squatter1013.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have a black Squatter ... it's one of the two Akubras I just bought from Jim ... and I have been wearing the CD the last couple of days.

I'm going to put a couple days of wear on the Squatter, though I don't usually wear a black hat this timeof year, but I want to get the feel of it and hopefully between that and all your input I can decide between the Bushman and the Squatter.

I just don't think I can pony up for the Borso I tried in Wichita ... more than twice the price of any of these Akubras

It is a gorgeous hat, though ... my older sister was with me the day I tried it on at Wichita Hat Works and, as I told her "This hat makes me a better person."

And for right at $300 it should.

Thanks again, guys.

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Sam,
I have one of the last Black Squatters DM had and do like it though as it's Black it is relegated to service as a "dress" hat along with my Charcoal Grey Sydney. My two most worn hats of my Akubra's are my Bushman, my Mid-Fawn and Steel Grey ( imported to the US by DM but only sold here by these folks:
http://www.kakadutrader.com/1610.html ) Squatters. My Acorn Fawn Stylemaster is the fourth in my daily Winter felt rotation! I like my Squatters for sure :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hey, Mon,

I wore the Squatter for a while ... I really like it, but I also visited with a guy at the kakadu site and I went with the Bushman

Maybe someday I will order from Aussie-land, but waiting three months for a hat is not for me.

If you ever come north look me up,

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hey, Mon,

I wore the Squatter for a while ... I really like it, but I also visited with a guy at the kakadu site and I went with the Bushman

Maybe someday I will order from Aussie-land, but waiting three months for a hat is not for me.

If you ever come north look me up,

Sam

Will do ! Glad you got your Bushman. I think you'll find it quite a hat :) The folks at Bluewater group are nice folks to deal with. They get their Akubra's from DM as he is the SOLE importer for Akubra in the US. I'm with you on the ordering from OZ, 3 months is WAY to long to wait for a hat. 'Course that's what ya have to do for those OZ only models like the Campdraft. Post some pics of your Bushman when you get it and get it creased. Onward thru the Fog :)

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hey Mon!

The Bushman came today and it is a great hat

Crown-wise I like it as well as the Campdraft.

Too bad it only comes in the one color.

What a nice color, though!

True brown, but not too dark.

It's Nullabor-rific!

Thanks for the input.

Sam

T Rick

Practically Family
Will do ! Glad you got your Bushman. I think you'll find it quite a hat :) The folks at Bluewater group are nice folks to deal with. They get their Akubra's from DM as he is the SOLE importer for Akubra in the US. I'm with you on the ordering from OZ, 3 months is WAY to long to wait for a hat. 'Course that's what ya have to do for those OZ only models like the Campdraft. Post some pics of your Bushman when you get it and get it creased. Onward thru the Fog :)
While this is a bit off topic, I want to remind at least some of the newer readers that you don't always have to wait 3 months when ordering from Australia. The Campdraft is often in stock in many sizes in Bluegrass Green at Everything Australian, and in some other colors at Hats Direct. I've bought from both and had good experiences with each.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
While this is a bit off topic, I want to remind at least some of the newer readers that you don't always have to wait 3 months when ordering from Australia. The Campdraft is often in stock in many sizes in Bluegrass Green at Everything Australian, and in some other colors at Hats Direct. I've bought from both and had good experiences with each.

True. But for some folks, Akubra makes more than just the CD :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
I own many models of Akubras and like them all for their distinctive styleslooks: Banjo Patterson, Fed IV, Campdraft, Cattlemen, Bushman, Stylemaster, Rink, and Capricorn.

I ordered most form Everything Australian or Hats Direct, waited a few months for a couple but received most within two weeks or so after ordering.

The Bushman (from David Morgan) is a really nice hat with a unique color. In some ways I think it has better proportions than the Campdraft but I do like my BG, Fawn, and "Silverbelly" Campdrafts.

I figure if I am going to wear a hat for many years (maybe even thirty-five, God willing), I can wait three months for a specific color and/or style. I'll leave the immediate gratification thing to the younger folks!

T Rick

Practically Family
True. But for some folks, Akubra makes more than just the CD :)
Also true. But I should have isolated the part of your post I was responding to, which is here...
monbla256 said:
Course that's what ya have to do for those OZ only models like the Campdraft

However, I also like other Akubras (just bought the Capricorn-no waiting, a Fed Iv is almost certainly in my future- also no waiting, and I really like the Squatter, though I'd prefer the Oz open crown unlined version-probably will have to wait for that one, not sure).

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
You'll like the Squatter. I have 3 and will get another this fall. But you like the OZ Sqautter's dims better? It's been discussed here about the two versions sold here, the OZ version, unlined shorter crown, tapered and a dimensional brim or the taller, straighter crowned and 3" all around brim and lined version of DM's ? If you want one of the Moonstone versions you will have to get it from DM as all the OZ retailers I have contacted don't have any anymore nor will be able to get any as the factory is not in production for that color. I'm going to order a Moonstone from DM before he sells out :)

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
reviving an old thread here to ask a question

I'm in the market for a Akubra ... need something for those inclement weather days

I'm between a Campdraft and a Bushman

would a Campdraft really take 3 months to get?

if so why ?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
reviving an old thread here to ask a question

I'm in the market for a Akubra ... need something for those inclement weather days

I'm between a Campdraft and a Bushman

would a Campdraft really take 3 months to get?

if so why ?

Last I looked (yesterday) Everything Australian had Bluegrass Green Camp Draft avaliable for immediate delivery...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner