Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft vs Bushman

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
I bought my Bushman from hatsdirect; it's not like the DM's hat.
It has 4cm. wide hatband with a ormal big ribbon (like stylemaster ribbon), or so, tapered and lower crown than the Campdraft.
I use to change its shape frequently, today I've put it a Diamond shape with front brims down ....fedoralized...!
Sometimes I put it in a western shape, side brims up, curled brims and downturned in front.
It is a nice hat, but I would prefer the DM version.
Anyone got the Bushman like mine?
Any impression?

God bless you.
Riccardo.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi to all,
I bought my Bushman from hatsdirect; it's not like the DM's hat.
It has 4cm. wide hatband with a ormal big ribbon (like stylemaster ribbon), or so, tapered and lower crown than the Campdraft.
I use to change its shape frequently, today I've put it a Diamond shape with front brims down ....fedoralized...!
Sometimes I put it in a western shape, side brims up, curled brims and downturned in front.
It is a nice hat, but I would prefer the DM version.
Anyone got the Bushman like mine?
Any impression?

God bless you.
Riccardo.

Riccardo,
When did you get your Bushman from them? It is not currently listed as a model they sell and from your dims given and description of the ribbon it sounds like you have a Squatter? What is the brim width? the dims given for the Bushman are 5 1/2 " open crown, 3 1/4" bound brim.

Just to add to the controversy i had heard that there were differences either in past models versus today or that the David Morgan model has features not found on the Bushman model that is or was available elsewhere.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
John,
To add to what i have found out, Akubra had a model called the Bushman as far back as 1912. It was one of the original hats DM started importing back in the 60s and was offered as we get it from them in all the specs as it is now. As to if it was still offered in some different specs in Australia between then and the 70's /'80s when Akubra has told me it became a DM exclusive I don't know. None of the current Australian retailrs i can find on the web offer this model at present. ( I can't speak for what a brick/mortar Australian hat shop may have for sale and if Akubra still offers a model called a Bushman in Australia with different specs.They DO NOT list a Bushman on their website. ) The mystery deepens !! But it is interesting that this model goes back to at least 1912 :)

John, To add to what i have found out, Akubra had a model called the Bushman as far back as 1912. It was one of the original hats DM started importing back in the 60s and was offered as we get it from them in all the specs as it is now. As to if it was still offered in some different specs in Australia between then and the 70's /'80s when Akubra has told me it became a DM exclusive I don't know. None of the current Australian retailrs i can find on the web offer this model at present. ( I can't speak for what a brick/mortar Australian hat shop may have for sale and if Akubra still offers a model called a Bushman in Australia with different specs.They DO NOT list a Bushman on their website. ) The mystery deepens !! But it is interesting that this model goes back to at least 1912 :)

Super!
It's one of those things where i wish I had some of the old information. It may have been info in some old advertisement or online catalog that spelled out the differences. Can't say for certain.

riccardo

Practically Family
Riccardo,
When did you get your Bushman from them? It is not currently listed as a model they sell and from your dims given and description of the ribbon it sounds like you have a Squatter? What is the brim width? the dims given for the Bushman are 5 1/2 " open crown, 3 1/4" bound brim.

Hi to all,
I bought it 2 or 3 years ago; it isn't on Hatsdirect on line catalogue, I emailed (past tense for "email"....it's correct!?) searching for a Dm model, they answered me with their Bushman description (very accurately) and I decided to pourchase it.
Brims dimension: 8 cm. ; open crown 14 cm. ; 4 cm ribboned hatband, brims...like stylemaster...are they "bound" (?); unlined hat, Superfine Quality pure fur.
Today I wear it down turned in front and rear: it's a nice hat.

God bless you.
Riccardo.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi to all,
I bought it 2 or 3 years ago; it isn't on Hatsdirect on line catalogue, I emailed (past tense for "email"....it's correct!?) searching for a Dm model, they answered me with their Bushman description (very accurately) and I decided to pourchase it.
Brims dimension: 8 cm. ; open crown 14 cm. ; 4 cm ribboned hatband, brims...like stylemaster...are they "bound" (?); unlined hat, Superfine Quality pure fur.
Today I wear it down turned in front and rear: it's a nice hat.

God bless you.
Riccardo.

Thats interesting ! Dimensions are similar to the Squatter for sure. Does (or did) it say Bushman on the sweat when you got it? I've not heard of many of theAkubra's made in the "Superfine" felt, especially as in regards to the Bushman model.( as it was sold back in 1965 and today by DM ) You did say it had a bound edge on it ? This may have been a Hats Direct specific model with the Bushman designation or was an Australian only model which may not be still made and sold. Interesting for sure. Thanks Riccardo :)

riccardo

Practically Family
Thats interesting ! Dimensions are similar to the Squatter for sure. Does (or did) it say Bushman on the sweat when you got it? I've not heard of many of theAkubra's made in the "Superfine" felt, especially as in regards to the Bushman model.( as it was sold back in 1965 and today by DM ) You did say it had a bound edge on it ? This may have been a Hats Direct specific model with the Bushman designation or was an Australian only model which may not be still made and sold. Interesting for sure. Thanks Riccardo :)

Hi to all,
yes, it say Bushman on the sweatband; it has bound edge brims.
Hatsdirect mail said that it was an Australian model, for Australian market only....I don't know anything else.
At the moment I'm not able to put a pics, I'll do it in future.
God bless you.
Riccardo.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi to all,
yes, it say Bushman on the sweatband; it has bound edge brims.
Hatsdirect mail said that it was an Australian model, for Australian market only....I don't know anything else.
At the moment I'm not able to put a pics, I'll do it in future.
God bless you.
Riccardo.

Thanks for the reply Riccardo. The tale of the Bushman gets more interesting as time moves on :) When you get your pics of it it will be interesting to see for sure !! I bought my first Bushman back in 1972 from DM when I was up in Seattle and still have it though it is REALLY beat up now :) I love 'em, they are probably my fave Akubra :) Again, thanks for the info :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Interesting thread ... and the questions just never stop,

So ...

Those of you who are REALLY familiar with both the Campdraft and the Bushman ...

I am looking for a BROWN hat.

I own a green CD and like it a lot, but I can't tell what color of brown these two come in.

Frankly, I'm not sure if the Bushman is all that brown, or if it is more of a dark tan?

So the CD ... is it REALLY brown?

There's lots of talk in this thread about hats being turned into Indiana Jones hats and I would think those would be true brown ... perhaps even dark brown.

Just wondering if anyone has seen both hats in brown?

Thanks for any input!

Sam

BobG

New in Town
Wow, haven't seen this thread in a long time! I started the thread while trying to decide which to get. I ended up buying both and loving both. The Bushman is a darker brown than the Campdraft tawny fawn. The Bushman is stiffer, and just feels more like an outdoors hat. I wear it a lot, especially when out Jeeping. The Campdraft is a casual hat that seems to work better as an around town hat. I would like to get a silverbelly Campdraft for a little dressier hat. You'll have to think about how you want to use the hat and let that be your guide I think. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one!
Bob

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Interesting thread ... and the questions just never stop,

So ...

Those of you who are REALLY familiar with both the Campdraft and the Bushman ...

I am looking for a BROWN hat.

I own a green CD and like it a lot, but I can't tell what color of brown these two come in.

Frankly, I'm not sure if the Bushman is all that brown, or if it is more of a dark tan?

So the CD ... is it REALLY brown?

There's lots of talk in this thread about hats being turned into Indiana Jones hats and I would think those would be true brown ... perhaps even dark brown.

Just wondering if anyone has seen both hats in brown?

Thanks for any input!

Sam

Sam,
I have two DM Bushman's , one I got back in '72 and my current one I got two years ago and NIETHER is what I would call a brown hat. As I'm sure you know, DM only offers it in "Nullabor Tan" which is a dark tan with definate olive cast to it. Here's a pic of my "new" one which is pretty true to it's color and the newer pics on DM's site are truer to it's actual color as well.

Bushman1-1.jpg

Don't have a CD so can't help ya there :)

T Rick

Practically Family
Don't forget, the Camp Draft is also offered in Mid Brown, and I think that is entirely classifiable as a "brown hat" ;). Check this thread I found when doing a simple Google search on the CD, it shows an obviously brown version of the Mid Brown Camp Draft.

T Rick

Practically Family
Don't forget the silverbelly Heritage grade Campdrafts at hatsdirect.com.

Well, it's a great hat (love mine!), but it is definitely not brown (Sam Craig who revived this thread specifically is looking for a brown hat, that is what I was addressing with the comments on brown hats).

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Many years ago, I bought a great off brand brown, wide brimmed OR clone.

It was a terrific hat, made of very soft felt, you could wear it with jeans or a suit. Terrific hat.
But it was just a tad too small and I was not smart enough to have it stretched professionally.

Over time, the stress of pulling it down when I was out and about ... I wore it for work as a reporter a lot ... and there developed a weak spot in the brim, which finally tore.

I have always held onto the hat as a memento, but its dress up days are long past.

I really, really like my green CD and I would like to replace that brown OR clone.

Secondly, the photos that I have seen vary so broadly in color tone ... On the David Morgan website, the Bushman ranges in color tone from dark brown to a greenish tan. I understand that is just one color, hence my confusion.

And now I am told that the CD is a lighter color ... not really brown,,,, so I presume I am waisting my time with Akubra at all.

I know that Borsalino makes a true brown, wide brim, narrow ribbon hat ... and to be honest, I have looked for an excuse to kick out the bucks to buy one ... Maybe this is it!

Please don't get me wrong.

I now have two Akubras, purchased from a fellow Lounger... I am thrilled with them both and would say nothing but good about them

I hope to add more Akubras in the future .... but I certainly don't want to order a "brown" hat and end up waiting three months to get a "dark tan" hat from around the world.

I do appreciate all the input because it will help me decide what to choose,

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Dean,

I am wearing my new CD as I write this.

I am just a HUGE fan of it.

In fact, I have rarely gotten a new hat that I have taken to quicker .... maybe my very first full-on, fur felt western hat, which I bought in Jonesboro, Ark. the summer of 1969.

Anyway ... I have really fallen for this hat

It's just that I want TRUE BROWN and it doesn't appear that is what Akubra offers.

The Borso I am thinking about ... I can actually see and try on at Wichita Hat Works and I know it is significantly more expensive, even with the around the world shipping... but there is no denying the fact ... the Borso is BROWN

Thanks for all the input guys and I now see why so many of you have become Akubra fans.

These really are Great Hats.

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Sam,
Color is a VERY subjective factor in felt hats. One man's (retailer) Black is another's Charcoal Grey. If you had a photo of the shade of Brown you are seeking it would help with the info you are getting. Here is a pic of my Stylemaster Imperial Grade felt in Akubra's Mid-Brown, which in my mind is a true brown. As gtdean has shown, the CD comes in this color as well. As for the Bushman, the readily available Bushman from DM is NOT a true Brown as you seem to define. Here's a good natural light picture of the Mid-Brown from Akubra for you :

Squatter1022.jpg

To me, and others I'm sure, this is a Brown, but it might not be for you. Onward thru the Fog :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk