Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown Straws...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well it looks like Ken ofer at Camptown Hats is at it again. He recently came out with the new model of the "1957 Legend", is still pondering the idea of the "Noir" model of his 1945 Metropolitan and now he is entertaining the idea of delving into the arena of straws.
A few he is looking into are very basic c-crown shapes and one in a very nice Homburg.

The Don Rogelio
straw2-vi.jpg

The Brody
Brody-vi.jpg

The Hoboken
straw3-vi.jpg

The Rene
rene-vi.jpg

And my personal favorite, The Don Miguel - Parabuntal Homburg a VERY fine hat. Especially chosen for gentlemen who do not wish to look like "sharpened pencils".
I think Michaelson would be a good fit for this model. ;)
Homburg-vi.jpg

In talking with Ken, there may be a "1957 Legend" or "1936 Fieldmaster" for those that enjoy that style as well. I don;t have all the details, but I'm sure all suggestions & input would be welcome at this point. So, if any one is interested please chime in. Personally, I would dig on something similar to the Fieldmaster or Legend in a Cuenica (spelled right?) fino. That & if the Brody had a slight pinch in it then it would stand out.
Ah, too many choices. :)
So what do you folks think? What say you?! :)

Cheers!

Dan

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DanielJones said:
Well it looks like Ken ofer at Camptown Hats is at it again. ...he is entertaining the idea of delving into the arena of straws...In talking with Ken, there may be a "1957 Legend" or "1936 Fieldmaster" for those that enjoy that style as well. I don;t have all the details, but I'm sure all suggestions & input would be welcome at this point. So, if any one is interested please chime in. Personally, I would dig on something similar to the Fieldmaster or Legend in a Cuenica (spelled right?) fino...

Cheers!

Dan

YEAH! I'd be up for one (or more) of those! Very exciting!!!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Those are all great looking straws!...Congrats to Ken for stretching his wings, and venturing into other hat making areas!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Daniel...when you talk to him, please have him update his website with images of the new '57...and maybe put in a "news" page to spark an interest in ideas like this.:D Maybe even a gallery of happy Camptown owners!;)

JerseyJones

Vendor
Wow...thank you for the interest. I am pleasantly surprised.

For information's sake the first one to be done is yet to be chosen, though th Don Rogelio is the likely winner. Estimated Price is $59.00 at this time. Others may get made as well as some special order permutations of these. Minimum order for me is one dozen per style, thus preorder interest is needed to gauge that.

Out of respect for the FL, while I will track your comments in this thread, please contact me privately for inquiries on purchasing.

Warm Regards my Friends,

Ken

JerseyJones

Vendor
cookie said:
The Brody
Brody-vi.jpg

What a sweet straw!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap What straw material is it?

This one is a genuine panama straw, cuenca I believe. Its nicely woven body and will likely sell for $59.00. Thank you.

JerseyJones

Vendor
Colby Jack said:
Those are all great looking straws!...Congrats to Ken for stretching his wings, and venturing into other hat making areas!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Daniel...when you talk to him, please have him update his website with images of the new '57...and maybe put in a "news" page to spark an interest in ideas like this.:D Maybe even a gallery of happy Camptown owners!;)

Working on it ! :D Thank you will advise !

Ken

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Thanks for the info, Ken. Could you fill us in on some other details?
- Materials for the different models.
- Sweatband material and construction.
- Any options you might have in mind, and their approx. add'l cost.

Thanks! These really look great.

- Bill

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right on!

JerseyJones said:
Wow...thank you for the interest. I am pleasantly surprised.

...Don Rogelio is the likely winner. Estimated Price is $59.00 at this time...

:eusa_clap
Good call, a basic, straightforward teardrop. What are the specs? High crown and 2 1/2" x 2 5/8" brim maybe? Looking very fwd. to hearing how this proceeds, summer's here after all! Thanks Ken!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ken is also looking into the option of a brown colored straw but that is still in the research stages. With the weather warming up I know I'm looking for a good alternative in a straw myself. :eusa_clap
If I hear more I'll be sure to share.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Straws on the horizon for this summer...

Well folks it looks like the possibility of an unbleached Panama Cuenca "1957 Legend" could be around the corner in the line of of Ken's Straws. This is very exciting news.:)

Also, Ken will take preorders for the Don Rogelio starting June 15, but needs to order at least one dozen at a time, so six preorders at least to start the ball rolling folks. So what say you? Anybody interested give him a jingle. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Dan have you heard anything about when the 1957 felt will be here. I'm really interested in one.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
They're on their way my friend. Ken has a little junior on the way so things are a tad held up, but he has told me that things are moving forward. You may want to drop him a line and chat with him. It has been a few days and he may have an update that I'm not aware of. He's an easy one to have a conversation with and he will answer any question you may have in mind. He is taking pre-orders for the legend right now, so drop him a line and keep us posted.

Cheers!

Dan

Woodfluter

Practically Family
On reflection, I have to agree with Daniel Jones...the Don Miguel homburg is the most stylish and different kind of straw. The high crown should make it cooler too, and the curled brim should hold its shape well.

I understand the probable reasons for going with the Don Rogelio initially, but it just seems too much like a lot of other available offerings in appearance. I think there's something to be gained by hitting the streets first with something that is identifiable and unique. But I'm sure that whatever order is selected, the quality will be great!

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo