Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a man appreciate vintage and be metro?

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
if there was a point i'm still not sure what it was.

I'd love to elaborate, but I'd hate to be considered a broken record.

HJ, loud and clear. I did not mean to offend anyone and I certainly don't intend to challenge your authority, Good Sir. I hope we're not at odds with each other!

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
IMO, if you haven't actually met these two face to face, or haven't even spoken with them on the phone, then you really don't know them personally.

You know of them, and that's all. Best not to use them as examples without their permission.

Marc, I'd hate for this to turn into a big issue. If you must know, they are related to my partner. That is all I need to say.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TommySalieri said:
HJ, loud and clear. I did not mean to offend anyone and I certainly don't intend to challenge your authority, Good Sir. I hope we're not at odds with each other!
Not at all. Let's consider it a learning experience. Let's all drop it and move on from here. Thanks. :)

Perhaps I take umbrage with the term for the simple reason that it connotes a rather fatuous lifestyle - one of all-night techno-clubbing in the Meatpacking District and then ending up at some trust-fund kid's loft to do lines of blow. I'm a grown man, not a metrosexual. Leave that for imbeciles, thank you very much please.

Regards,

Senator 'No, I've never watched Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and not because they're gay but simply because their taste is terrible' Jack

Senator Jack said:
Perhaps I take umbrage with the term for the simple reason that it connotes a rather fatuous lifestyle - one of all-night techno-clubbing in the Meatpacking District and then ending up at some trust-fund kid's loft to do lines of blow. I'm a grown man, not a metrosexual. Leave that for imbeciles, thank you very much please.

Regards,

Senator 'No, I've never watched Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and not because they're gay but simply because their taste is terrible' Jack

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
A couple things...

I agree with Jovan.

Leo DiCaprio has become a more seasoned actor. And I wouldn't touch Cruise with a 10 meter cattle prod!

Also, agreeing with Jovan. Chest hair = ew. I don't care if ya shave if off or have none to begin with. I just don't cuddle with bears.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Rafter said:
My all-time fav is Trader Joe's Honey Mango.
Have you ever tried TJ's Honey Mango shave cream? It's only three bucks and gives the best shave yet...and the smell intoxifies the females!!

Like you need it. ;)

Rafter

Suspended
Pink Dahlia said:
And I wouldn't touch Cruise with a 10 meter cattle prod!
Not into Scientology....???

As for DeCaprio, it's still hard for me to forget the annoying homeless waif he played on "Growing Pains".
7thseason.bmp

I just never will consider DeCaprio to be a seasoned actor. Never!!

Someone I do respect and admire is DeCaprio's Growing Pain costar, Kirk Cameron. He is someone that has matured as a man and a Christian. He's gone from an actor who's become a Christian to a husband and a father who wants to lead his family in integrity and in living a life of faith.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Metrosexual is a word describing men who have a strong concern for their aesthetic appearance, and spend a substantial amount of time and money on their images and lifestyles. Though the term has undergone a transformation from its original meaning (a heterosexual man who appeared or acted as if he were homosexual), current trends have seen the metrosexual label placed upon masculinity's embracing of practices usually perceived to be feminine, rather than those specifically associated with the homosexual.

Ok...so the first sentence of this....is -all- of you...you wouldn't be posting on a message board about fedoras, $300 umbrellas and armholes on suits...otherwise. Trust me, I have been shopping with some of you and you all take it -way- more seriously then most women I know do.

So I assume that where you are all disagreeing is the 'practices usually percieved to be feminine' part. In light of the first part of the 'wiki' definition, I take this to mean things like shopping, spending time analyzine ones self in front of the mirror etc....that used to be the exclusive domain of 'those women, always late to everything because they have to look just -so-'....'Man, my wife spends all that money on dresses and I can't even tell them apart'

Newsflash...most of the universe cant tell your hats apart either..or your flight jackets...or any of it. So regardless of thinking 'well hats are masculine, so there!', the trait of spending time on the details of shopping for just that perfect hat to go with a suit...and don't forget the pocket square also...means that shopping is now a hobby....oooh...wait...shopping as a hobby, how feminine! *gasp*

Much ado about labels...once again.

People is people. Times change, otherwise you would all be wearing tights and codpieces. Those guys were still men right?

This is hilariously true.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
A few more things...

Why don't we bring back the codpiece? lol

And darn it Jack I was going to use pimpin' to describe you!

When I think of brute of think of Tom Buchanan of The Great Gatsby. He definitely defined the term brute, breaking Myrtle's nose, having scandalous affairs right in front of his wife.

As for Dicaprio, I think he gave a wonderful performance in The Departed.

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Pink Dahlia said:
Why don't we bring back the codpiece? lol

As for Dicaprio, I think he gave a wonderful performance in The Departed.

Well, bringing that back would give new meaning to bespoke tailoring! And Dicaprio was great in The Departed.

Rafter

Suspended
Pink Dahlia said:
And I wouldn't touch Cruise with a 10 meter cattle prod!
Not into Scientology....??? Are you???[bad]

As for DiCaprio, it's still hard for me to forget the annoying homeless waif he played on "Growing Pains". lol

Edward

Bartender
The :eek:fftopic: bit first:

Kimberly said:
Speaking of shaving, I bought my son the new Gillette razor called Fusion and he loves it. He says it gives the best shave he has ever had w/ a lot less damage than the gets w/ other razors. The only downfall on the Fusion is the fact that the cartridges are super expensive and are often all sold out (I guess other men love them too).

Yes, I switched over to these last Christmas - expensive, but well worth it, especially as I'm doing my full head at least every other day.

And now on to the matter at hand... As someone has already pointed out, there does seem to be a distinction between how we look at this on either side of the pond- the men anyhow. I've long found the US in my (limited) experience thereof to be inherently more conservative in these matters for the mainstream - and much more extreme in the quarters where traditional gender roles are flouted. Just as observation - not intended as a slight or any negative comment per se. I've never been a fan of rigid gender roles myself - nothing more than a social construct, and those who enslave themselves to them are only limiting themselves. That's fine if that's their choice, I'm not going to deny them that - so long as they don't try and put me into a box based on my genitals.

FWIW, I have been labelled a metrosexual in the past, though I personally prefer the more recent term 'fomo' (thank-you, Ugly Betty). I'm a dandy, it's true, I'm camp, can be a bit of a queen, though I wouldn't say especially effeminate. Some of my fellow breeders often assume I must be gay. Seems to me the whole notion of metrosexual as a negative term, men should be men etc is often rooted in an ingrained homophobia, or at best a wild stereotype of gay men, and a lack of understanding that gay guys are no different than us - some of them are much more manly than any straight boy will ever be. And is it a surprise that a lot of gay guys - being into men - want to emulate and/or are attracted to the John Wayne type? To be frank, the men who I look at and think "closet!" as a reflex action are rarely the conventionally effeminate guys, and far more often those who are in thrall th=o the idea of being "manly." IMO - YMMV, of course - any man who is bounden to rigid notions and stereotypes of what it is to be a "real man" by definition cannot truly be one.

Labels are by nature limiting, short-sighted, and incorrect as they imply that someone is in a position to be applying them. We all have different definitions of the term and each of us are equally valid in our opinions.

Quite.

Senator Jack said:
Yeah, I always respond with a polite 'no thanks' upon the drink-buying effort. But then when they start with that nonsense, I give them my standard answer:

'Look, I'm not gay, but if I were, I'm sure I could do a whole lot better than you.

That usually shuts them up.

lol I have a variation on that myself, though I've only ever needed it for straight boys who feel threatened by anything (a touch of kohl, or nail varnish for instance) that falls without their narrow definition of masculinity and therefore appears as a threat to them. :)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
edward,

your last post pretty much rules. :eusa_clap i'm a huge fan of gender fluidity myself. i'm not sure why people feel the need to police others' gender and sexual expression so much. that's all i have time to say on the subject right now, i have to leave for work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran