Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a man appreciate vintage and be metro?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jamespowers said:
So, in other words, more Dick Tracy and less Alan Alda? ;) :p

Regards,

J

Back in my reporter days, when covering trials I'd occasionally see a local lawyer who looked *exactly* like Dick Tracy -- glossy hair, hawk-like profile, jutting jaw, sharp suit. And being as young and impressionable as I was back then, I'd have been his Tess Trueheart in an instant....

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
MissQueenie said:
I think we, as modern men and women, are increasingly conflicted and hung up about these distinctions. The vintage man was, inherently, "metrosexual"; these behaviors have fallen out of cultural fashion in the last 6 decades, and now that they're back among a certain sector of the population, if feels strange, maybe even "unnatural" because we're not used to it anymore. Same jar, new label.

Amen to that MissQueenie! Couldn't have said it better myself.

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine, your mention of Dick Tracey and his slicked back hair reminds me of Alfred Molina, the mayor in the movie Chocolat - which I just watched again recently. Now there is a vintage man with issues !

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
ValleyBoy said:
All of this depends on what is meant by "metrosexual". If by metrosexual you mean a man who cares about his appearance and is strong enough to stand up and defend himself against other men, yet secure enough to cry in front of woman, than I believe that is the perfect example of the vintage man. But if by "metrosexual" you mean the trend of some of these younger kids who have begun wearing makeup and speaking and moving very effeminately, than I cannot see that as either vintage or vaild. It just seems unbecoming to me.

I agree, Valley Boy. If the former definition fits "metrosexual," then it is a positive term.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
MissQueenie said:
I think there is a gross misunderstanding of the term "Metrosexual" as it is commonly used. In itself, the term has absolutely nothing to do with being effeminate. Metrosexual is a label that is used to describe behaviors associated with modern positive stereotypes about homosexual men (such as careful attention to one's appearance and grooming, sometimes to the point of "beauty treatments" like waxing, coloring one's hair, etc, wearing fashionable and/or expensive clothing, entertaining, etc) that have been adopted by heterosexual men, often living in urban areas (Los Angeles, New York, etc).

I'd like to point out that these qualities, now considered effeminate, were extremely mainstream in the Golden Era. Fred Astaire's Toupee -- a vanity, surely, but it was impeccable and classy and you'd never know unless someone told you. Is this different than a modern man dyeing his hair to cover premature grays? How many "manly" men of today do you know (outside the vintage set -- or within it, for that matter) who carry (and use!) a pocket comb? A pocket comb was essential to ensuring the modern man of the GE was perfectly groomed at all times -- and it was never considered unmanly. My own grandfather -- a war hero, engineer, and hobbyist-carpenter and mechanic -- kept a manicure case in his bathroom drawer and used it often, right up to the day he passed away. No one in their right mind would ever have called him effeminate. And look at all of the revered male style icons discussed at length right here on the lounge -- do you think those men weren't paying very careful attention to their fashion choices? Would you call Bogart, Grant -- yourselves?-- unmanly for putting effort into your appearance? I doubt it.

I think we, as modern men and women, are increasingly conflicted and hung up about these distinctions. The vintage man was, inherently, "metrosexual"; these behaviors have fallen out of cultural fashion in the last 6 decades, and now that they're back among a certain sector of the population, if feels strange, maybe even "unnatural" because we're not used to it anymore. Same jar, new label.

Another "well said" to Miss Queenie!

Jovan

Suspended
Doing anything beyond wearing a sport coat, t-shirt, and jeans marks you as "dressed up" here. :rolleyes: I once showed up to class in my work clothes, which was little more than a dark shirt tucked into a pair of chinos -- no tie, and everyone asked if I was getting a job interview...

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
A man after my own heart. :) Shaving is very irritating to the skin, even if you use the best razor/shaver and gel/cream.

Someone has clearly never had a straight razor shave :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Jovan said:
I don't trust myself or other people with extremely sharp objects near my neck.

You've got a point. It'd take a lot of faith. lol

They say it's the best shave you can get though.
My mentioned Brother-in-law treated all the groomsmen to one when he got married.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I understand.

I'm just thankful it's a moot point for my gender....;)
I don't think I'd do it either.
I certainly don't use a straight razor! ;)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I think the danger is really overblown. I started about nine months ago, and in that time I have cut myself exactly twice, and never deep enough to draw blood. Every time I have shaved with a cartridge razor (also exactly twice) I have cut myself.

You might be interested in trying a DE safety razor if you're uncomfortable with an exposed blade, but at the very least plenty of hot water and a good soap or cream applied with a brush, not a can, will make even a Mach3 shave much less irritating and harsh.

Jovan

Suspended
I had a sample of some pretty luxurious shaving cream at one time, and it gave me the best shave ever with the Mach3. Unfortunately when I asked how much a full can was, I was quoted $7. Ouch.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Feng_Li said:
You might be interested in trying a DE safety razor if you're uncomfortable with an exposed blade, but at the very least plenty of hot water and a good soap or cream applied with a brush, not a can, will make even a Mach3 shave much less irritating and harsh.

Oh!

Bay Rum shaving soap smells so good! It's vintage too, I believe.
I think Burt's Bees makes one....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn