Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone identify this drink?

NicknNora

A-List Customer
We're watching a movie on TCM from 1956 called While the City Sleeps. They just had a scene in the movie where Ida Lupino and George Sanders are in a bar/restaurant drinking what we found to be an unusual drink. The drink was in a fluted glass and it looked like they put a whole peach in the glass and then poured in what looked like champagne. On the table there was a bowl of what looked like peaches or some other roundish fruit. Has anyone ever heard of a drink similar to this? We've never seen a drink like this before and would love to know what it is?

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Darn, I posted too soon. I just tracked down the drink. It was a peach and the drink is a champagne cocktail. I'd never heard of using a whole peach like this before.

The most fun in watching this film, however, comes from the details: the hilarious decorating touches on the set (a ceramic dog sitting on a living room chair, a lamp out on a balcony that looks like sputnik has landed in the heart of Manhattan, and a Tiki bar straight out of, well, the '50s.) Ida Lupino, deep in concentration, absent-mindedly bites the side of her cocktail glass. George Sanders, demonstrating suave cocktail ettiquette, prepares a couple of champaign cocktails featuring an entire tennis ball sized peach in each glass. (I wondered, how does one consume such a drink without the peach bonking you smack in the nose?)

I'll leave the thread up in case using a peach like this is new to anyone else.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
3195785053_6e5c79edd4.jpg

The Vogue Cocktail book on page 16 has a similar recipe for a BELLINI

2 oz Peach Juice

4 oz Iced Champagne

Dash of Grenadine (if required), I think "I would add a dash of Cointreu"

Rumour has it that Commendatore Cipriani of a Venetian Hotel Company invented it for the premiere Venice Biennale

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Bellinis --Yum!

Sounds like an extremely lazy Bellini, LOL.

Bellinis are delicious. I made them for New Year's Eve a few years ago using Kern's Peach Nectar, as peaches were of course out of season...about an inch of well-chilled nectar (shake it first) into a tall champagne flute and topped off with icy cold Veuve Cliquot.

I also have a probably more authentic summer recipe that calls for white peaches, pureed in a food processor (with skins, but no pits), then strained and topped off with chilled prosecco in the same proportion as above.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Dexter'sDame said:
Sounds like an extremely lazy Bellini, LOL.

Bellinis are delicious. I made them for New Year's Eve a few years ago using Kern's Peach Nectar, as peaches were of course out of season...about an inch of well-chilled nectar (shake it first) into a tall champagne flute and topped off with icy cold Veuve Cliquot.

I also have a probably more authentic summer recipe that calls for white peaches, pureed in a food processor (with skins, but no pits), then strained and topped off with chilled prosecco in the same proportion as above.

Ooooohhh...Veuve Cliquot - my favorite champagne.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass