Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone shed some light on my vintage Stetson?

Viper Man

Banned
Hi. I have been lurking for months but have only posted a few times. I love this place! I have learned so much from all of you and I really appreciate all of the info that is available here.

I won this vintage Stetson in auction and I have never seen anything like it. I tried searching here for info on "back bows" but couldn't find anything. Was this common among Stetson or does this date the hat to a certain time period? Can anyone shed some light on it? Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370015401383&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I cannot shed any light on its age, other than to say if that is a mode edge that would tend to date it earlier & the back bows seem to date from a certain range (late 40s - mid 50s?). Mr. Bowers would know more about the edge treatment.

I can tell you that is one sweet lid. It looks as though it has been sitting in that box waiting for you all these years. Nice score!

Feraud

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge.
I do not think the back bow was common but was done.
Here is my Stetson Royal Deluxe with a back bow treatment
DSC02351.jpg

I have seen a fedora around 1940 w/a back bow but yours is a decade or two younger than that.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Back bow

The back bow last came back is style sometime in the 1950's. They had been in style three or four decades before that. My best guess on the age of your hat is late 50's or early 60's. Your hat is of very nice quality, much nicer than you can buy "off the shelf" today.

Viper Man

Banned
Thanks for the responses. From my limited knowledge and research, I was guessing the 1950s. I just won the auction yesterday and haven't received the hat yet. Those three photos are all I have at the moment but it sure does look minty!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's most probably a Mode Edge, but there's a chance it could also be a very nicely done overwelt.

Brad

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
A copy of your hat...

This is an Adam "Premier" hat that is a very good copy of your hat. (This is helpful because I've learned on the FL that Adam basically copied the most popular styles and sold them for less. This is a great example.) My hat is definitely late 50's or early 60's, if that helps answer your question.

Vintage-161.jpg

Vintage-154.jpg

Vintage-169.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
Wow, striking resemblance, Johnnyphi! Thanks again to all who responded and for the warm welcome. I will try to provide more info (and maybe some photos) when the hat arrives.

Viper Man

Banned
Well, it arrived today and I am a very happy man. Thanks for your help everyone. It is a Stetson 15, 3x Beaver and it is absolutely dead mint. Just a gorgeous hat. I have two other vintage lids (a Resistol and a Champ) and they don't measure up to this bad boy at all.

You can see it here in the 3 X Mess Hall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou