Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collective History of Stetson Hats

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone,

Im fairly new to The Lounge and my love for collecting hats started just a few years ago. Nonetheless, I was extremely excited when I found this community and I am grateful for all of the help/support I have received by such knowledgeable and kind members. Like many of you, while I appreciate all types of quality hats, brands, and styles, I am extremely intrigued by the Stetson brand. Not just for the hats they have produced but for their place in history and the legacy. From what I have learned by researching on my own and the help of a variety of forums here in FL, the Stetson story (from processes to business) is quite an amazing puzzle this community has been trying to put together for some time. So it seems!

Now, I've read Snyder's Stetson Hats book which has been helpful in tracing the roots of the company. That, in junction with the posts you fine folks have crafted here, lends a ton of perspective. We recognize, as a community, how important these puzzle pieces are as I am sure it's one of the reasons why we are here on this forum. My question is this; will there ever come a day where I try to visit this site and it doesn't exist anymore? You have to ask yourself, what happens to this info if this occurs? I look back to older posts and I am bummed to find a ton of images missing with dead links.

The amount of valuable information here on The Lounge is worth preserving, along with your experiences and expertise, beyond a forum. So, I ask one last question. Has anyone ever attempted to put all of this information together into one document (aside from Snyder's publication or a forum) just from what is available here in the lounge? I am always amazed by how knowledgeable the community is. If not, it may be time we collaborate/collect this information, organize it, and put it in a doc that we can all enjoy. I often wonder if anyone here has any ties to anyone who has worked in the factories, owned hat shops, or perhaps you have yourself. This type of first, second, and even third hand knowledge is worth passing down and preserving.

What do you think?

Cheers everyone.
JJ

Hello everyone,

Im fairly new to The Lounge and my love for collecting hats started just a few years ago. Nonetheless, I was extremely excited when I found this community and I am grateful for all of the help/support I have received by such knowledgeable and kind members. Like many of you, while I appreciate all types of quality hats, brands, and styles, I am extremely intrigued by the Stetson brand. Not just for the hats they have produced but for their place in history and the legacy. From what I have learned by researching on my own and the help of a variety of forums here in FL, the Stetson story (from processes to business) is quite an amazing puzzle this community has been trying to put together for some time. So it seems!

Now, I've read Snyder's Stetson Hats book which has been helpful in tracing the roots of the company. That, in junction with the posts you fine folks have crafted here, lends a ton of perspective. We recognize, as a community, how important these puzzle pieces are as I am sure it's one of the reasons why we are here on this forum. My question is this; will there ever come a day where I try to visit this site and it doesn't exist anymore? You have to ask yourself, what happens to this info if this occurs? I look back to older posts and I am bummed to find a ton of images missing with dead links.

The amount of valuable information here on The Lounge is worth preserving, along with your experiences and expertise, beyond a forum. So, I ask one last question. Has anyone ever attempted to put all of this information together into one document (aside from Snyder's publication or a forum) just from what is available here in the lounge? I am always amazed by how knowledgeable the community is. If not, it may be time we collaborate/collect this information, organize it, and put it in a doc that we can all enjoy. I often wonder if anyone here has any ties to anyone who has worked in the factories, owned hat shops, or perhaps you have yourself. This type of first, second, and even third hand knowledge is worth passing down and preserving.

What do you think?

Cheers everyone.
JJ

We have discussed a Wiki in the past, but that's a huge undertaking. That would be the best option to tie together all the info on models, dates, quality levels, etc. The history of the company is pretty well established, it's the subtle things that are difficult.

It would certainly be nice to have some oral history from those that were there, but a twenty year old that worked there when the Philadelphia factory closed would be about 70 now.

Hello everyone,

What do you think?

Cheers everyone.
JJ
Another good source of info is the recently released documentary The Cowboy Hat Movie. It was released at the Montana Int Film Fest last month. I purchased a ticket to watch it on line and I think it would still be available somewhere. A fun and informative movie. Doesn't divulge anything earth shaking about the history but a well made doc.

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
Another good source of info is the recently released documentary The Cowboy Hat Movie. It was released at the Montana Int Film Fest last month. I purchased a ticket to watch it on line and I think it would still be available somewhere. A fun and informative movie. Doesn't divulge anything earth shaking about the history but a well made doc.
Just watched the trailer for it. I would love to see it but it looks like there are no more tickets available for it. I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled...Thanks for letting me know it exists!

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
We have discussed a Wiki in the past, but that's a huge undertaking. That would be the best option to tie together all the info on models, dates, quality levels, etc. The history of the company is pretty well established, it's the subtle things that are difficult.

It would certainly be nice to have some oral history from those that were there, but a twenty year old that worked there when the Philadelphia factory closed would be about 70 now.
I agree with you. Yes I think it would be the best way to organize the info but yes its a huge project that would take a long time. Also seems like a ton of fun... I think it would start with a personal catalogue from hat collectors on here. Submitting photos and info per model. I personally started photographing my hats- I plan on making a small catalogue for myself. I will share with the community when I am done. But yes, you are correct about the age thing. I would love to interview workers and create a short documentary. (photo and film are hobbies of mine) But again, also a tall order.

I agree with you. Yes I think it would be the best way to organize the info but yes its a huge project that would take a long time. Also seems like a ton of fun... I think it would start with a personal catalogue from hat collectors on here. Submitting photos and info per model. I personally started photographing my hats- I plan on making a small catalogue for myself. I will share with the community when I am done. But yes, you are correct about the age thing. I would love to interview workers and create a short documentary. (photo and film are hobbies of mine) But again, also a tall order.

Step 1 -Convince Elon Musk to start wearing hats
Step 2 - Convince Elon Musk to fund the Wiki
Step 3 - ????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB