Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Shoe Colors Be Modified?

Annixter

Practically Family
I recently pickup up a pair of vintage (maybe 1950s or 60s?) Florsheim wingtip shoes. They are a very nice dark brown, with the caps and decorative leather around the sides being a slightly lighter brown than the tongue and leather inlays on the sides.

I think the shoes would look even better if I could somehow lighten the cap and decorative side leathers a little more. I get the feeling that the tongue and inlay leathers are darker due to their softer makeup which has retained more of the polish color throughout the years. The caps and hard decorative sides are less accepting of polish color, and are easier to knock the polish off when buffing.

Does anyone know of a way to lighten the caps and decorative sides without damaging the leather? I've yet to try extensive dry polishing of these areas, as some hard rubbing with a rag might take some of the polish color off. Is there a solvent that would help with polish color removal without harming the leather (saddle soap, mechanic hand soap, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, etc)? Rubbing alcohol and nail polish remove sound too acidic, but I will be using a neutral polish to get the proper oils back in the leather. Any thoughts?

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Lightening shoe leather

Hello~I'm not an expert but i think i'd be a little cautious about solvents on leather.Do you have a shoe repair near your house?I'd go ask the cobbler! not the sales clerk behind the desk but the actual cobbler. I've found some malls have shoe repair places in them that have the repair guy as the clerk too!
I don't think Saddle soap will lighten the darker parts however I'm sure,unless the shoes were dyed, the saddle soap will "CLEAN OFF" some of the embedded dye!
I'd also be leary of using nail polish or laquer remover or anyother harsh chemical on your shoes for the simple fact; REMBER What product base your using this with! Animal hide! it's a skin! skin has pores, also the tanning oils,solvents etc that are used to tan hides (in order to fashion them into an article of clothing such as a hat or shoes or handbag) are very mild compared to the wood working or karetain/hoof solvents!
you do what you feel but i wouldn't go there! not on ann authintic pair of vintage shoes!
As the guys of the lounge what they think!The gentlemen of the "younger than 30's" propbably haven't had much experience with shoe polishing but any kid of the 160's or befor made "dough" polihing shoes on Saturday or mowing lawns![huh] Just MHO!

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks for your input; I too an weary of using such a harsh solvent as alcohol or lacquer remover, but I am still curious to see if anyone has had success. I do have a cobbler near my house who has inspected my shoes for resole advice, but it looks like he will be closed until Tuesday. I am planning on speaking to him, but thought I'd see what others have to say as well.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I used acetone to remove the black on these....

P1030958.jpg
[/IMG]

Annixter

Practically Family
Michael, no kidding! Have you noticed any issues with the leather now? Any cracking, stiffening, etc? I'm assuming you dabbed a rag in acetone and worked in small areas?

If there isn't a negative impact to the leather, I think that might be the way to go. I'm not looking so much to change the original color as much as remove the years of polish buildup, which, I surmise and hope, will lighten those areas a little.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Just dip a small portion of a rag and rub.It works fast and evaporates quickly,so does not soak into the leather.Just condition the leather after your done should be no problem.

HatRak

Familiar Face
Michael's right, acetone will cut through the old polish giving you a cleaner base to work from. Ordinary finger nail polish remover is acetone based so yo don't have to buy a quart at the hardware store. It shouldn't hurt the leather if the leather is in good condition. As Michael noted, condition well and then polish. You could also use alcohol. It isn't as agressive as acetone.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you can find the thread where Michaelshane posed the same query you'll find a link to a StyleForum.com thread which describes the process in detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana