Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone please help me find this type of leather jacket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
No.

Saying "I don't like it" or "I would never wear that" is totally fine and respectful. Saying it's "garbage" is an entirely different thing, implying a person wearing it would be wearing / looking like garbage. Disrespectful and unnecessary.

But good attempt at trying to derail the thread and make it all about the "evil original poster who is stirring trouble".

You're the one who made the original garbage reference...

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Like I said earlier, I highly appreciate everyone who was able to provide insight, especially in regards to the custom making thing which I am now leaning towards. And being funny is also good, as I love getting a good laugh out of a comment. But then there are comments which clearly cross the line, and I will not go back and forth about this.

Again, thanks to all who honestly tried to help, and to those who made me laugh. It's as simple as that.

If someone is able to point me into a more specific direction in regards to custom making or modifying an existing jacket, please feel free. If not, no problem. In that case, the discussion would be over, and I do appreciate your input.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
OK I've talked to "Wested". They only modify the jackets they have as "custom made" listed on their site, which are one or two jackets. And they're also not available to do any modifications until March.

Any other websites/companies you guys know of?

Rich22

Practically Family
If you do get one of these custom made I'm looking forward to the response to the fit pics.
Just what I was thinking!!

The jacket is inoffensive, but the fit for the actor in the tv series is horrendous- a few sizes too big. If you do replicate this jacket, OP, I'd advise you size in it proportion to your frame.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
I'm gonna post a few pics of some jackets I own where you can see that they completely pale in comparison to what I'm looking for, in terms of artistic value. Lemme upload them, it'll take a few minutes...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Imo, if the round shoulder that attractive on this fit, I think raglan shouldered jacket might look the part it will have the round shoulder, and has great shoulder movement and without the overshot shoulder seam and much neater underarm creases. But it wont be that exact jacket of that guy.
Somewhere in this forum there is a thread about 5* leather from Pakistan, they do custom jacket, they have thick leather too.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Imo, if the round shoulder that attractive on this fit, I think raglan shouldered jacket might look the part it will have the round shoulder, and has great shoulder movement and without the overshot shoulder seam and much neater underarm creases. But it wont be that exact jacket of that guy.
Somewhere in this forum there is a thread about 5* leather from Pakistan, they do custom jacket, they have thick leather too.
Thanks for the tip!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Honestly, I would advise 5* against making a jacket like this. If someone sees pictures about it and doesn't have the context, it doesn't reflect well on 5*. Of course just my personal opinion.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
OK, here are some of my own jackets, among many.

I have 23 jackets, but I don't have enough photos and am lazy to take new ones, so here are a few of the ones I very frequently wear. You can see five different ones here...

To clarify (although it's pretty obvious):

Pics #1 and #2 = same jacket
Pics #4 and #5 = same jacket
Pics #7 and #8 = same jacket
Pics #10 and #11 = same jacket

IMO not a single one of these jackets matches the artistic value of the one I'm searching for. To be honest, there are friends of mine who think I'm crazy when I say that, but like I always say, to each their own.

As you can see, #1+2 and #10+11 are similar to each other, and also give me a slight "feel" of what I'm looking for, but they are still significantly different from the original in question... miles apart, lol.

I uploaded these extra for y'all to see. Thoughts? Could any of them be "modified" by an expert, for example?

1MlKNpQ.jpg

bAtbQeF.jpg

Ib8wGwZ.jpg

QkejzI3.jpg

VjRU61G.jpg

7yBAuQE.jpg

JIbUxP4.jpg

2gGn2qY.jpg

GlVHasp.jpg

x4rS4tO.jpg

h5a7uJL.jpg

regius

X-file :D typical 90s oversized jacket, the leather looks decent. Like you said it looks like Indy jacket with parka style flap over the main zip.
i was gonna say that! X files is where many characters, Mulder first and foremost, liked to sport over sized, large sleeve jackets.

El Marro

I uploaded these extra for y'all to see. Thoughts? Could any of them be "modified" by an expert, for example?
This would be something you could ask a good local tailor, if you happen to know one near you. I have a feeling that you are better off having someone make you a new jacket entirely though. It is probably easier to start from scratch than to change/eliminate pockets, add wind flap, etc. Johnson Leathers in San Francisco does very good work and I’m sure they could make you something resembling this jacket from photos alone. Depending on the leather you choose you are probably looking at somewhere between $700-$1000 for a custom jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
From your other jackets, i see you like long sleeve, i think if you like long sleeve keep it at maximum at the base of your thumb and on the otherside near the knuckle of your pinky such length is enough to conceal your wrist and forearm in any poses already you wont need any longer, any longer than that will look off to general sense. You also wear thin leathers, while the jacket from the movie looks thicker like 3-4oz hide perhaps 1.6mm in thickness, this leather is considerably heavier than anything you wear in your pics, an oversize fit in this leather thickness might feel heavy on your shoulder and arm and might impede movements when the leather is new. By all means follow your heart, but it would be best to reduce the oversizeness, you can carry the same feel with making the shoulder a bit wider than your ideal shoulder and making the sleeve long-ish but keep the chest and neckhole your true size. Just my opinion.

Rich22

Practically Family
Raglan shoulders are very comfortable, and more forgiving in terms of fit.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i was gonna say that! X files is where many characters, Mulder first and foremost, liked to sport over sized, large sleeve jackets.
Mulder wore cool jackets in several episodes if I remember correctly:)
That hitman character... i really forgot he even wears leather, i thought he wears waxed canvas jacket or nylon from my memory. Turn out he wears leather.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
From your other jackets, i see you like long sleeve, i think if you like long sleeve keep it at maximum at the base of your thumb and on the otherside near the knuckle of your pinky such length is enough to conceal your wrist and forearm in any poses already you wont need any longer, any longer than that will look off to general sense. You also wear thin leathers, while the jacket from the movie looks thicker like 3-4oz hide perhaps 1.6mm in thickness, this leather is considerably heavier than anything you wear in your pics, an oversize fit in this leather thickness might feel heavy on your shoulder and arm and might impede movements when the leather is new. By all means follow your heart, but it would be best to reduce the oversizeness, you can carry the same feel with making the shoulder a bit wider than your ideal shoulder and making the sleeve long-ish but keep the chest and neckhole your true size. Just my opinion.
Very insightful post! I'll have to dissect that info. :D

BTW, while the majority are thinner leather indeed, the jackets in pics #3, #9, #10+11 are actually significantly thicker.

#9+10 is the same jacket. It's also heavier compared to the rest, but #8 is the heaviest (although totally different style).

And the one you see in #3 I had to exchange twice, lol! The seller originally suggested "M" based on my height and weight, but that was too small for me after I wore it, so I exchanged it for "L", and eventually went for "XL". I think what you see in that particular picture #3 is "M".

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Mulder wore cool jackets in several episodes if I remember correctly:)
That hitman character... i really forgot he even wears leather, i thought he wears waxed canvas jacket or nylon from my memory. Turn out he wears leather.
He only appears in two episodes throughout the whole series. In one episode he wears a business suit, and in the other one what you see in the photos.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
What I mean about maximum longish sleeve is something like this or just slightly longer, so that is you make a fist, your knuckles still visible under your sleeve.
Screenshot_20211215-045750_Gallery.jpg
That is also 1.5-1.6mm cow leather

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
What I mean about maximum longish sleeve is something like this or just slightly longer, so that is you make a fist, your knuckles still visible under your sleeve.
View attachment 387720
That is also 1.5-1.6mm cow leather
I understand you, but I need the sleeves longer though for accuracy reasons. As you can see in plenty of my pics, in terms of sleeve length that's how I want it. Although the jackets are different. Now compare the sleeve length of the original photos (TV) to the last two pics of my own jacket. Although in that case, my sleeve version might even be a bit too long, but I'm not entirely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn