Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone please help me find this type of leather jacket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I google
90s leather parka
Screenshot_20211214-080124_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211214-080222_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211214-075957_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211214-080615_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211214-081148_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211214-075833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-075833_Chrome.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 425

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would say that the jacket you posted (like the Indy jacket) takes its inspiration from the A-2 flight jacket. It certainly seems like they had a vision, but looking at it now in 2021 I can’t say what that vision was. Nothing about it works for me and if you really want cool 90s jacket you need look no further than:
407A9801-DD46-44CC-B99D-F5E5F32A2A8D.jpeg

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
I would say that the jacket you posted (like the Indy jacket) takes its inspiration from the A-2 flight jacket. It certainly seems like they had a vision, but looking at it now in 2021 I can’t say what that vision was. Nothing about it works for me and if you really want cool 90s jacket you need look no further than:
View attachment 387519
I'm not sure if you're serious with this one. Hard to say, lol. The jacket in your picture looks ridiculous so you are probably being sarcastic. Plus, for some reason I always have to be telling people to pay attention to the cuffs of the jacket I'm looking for. It does NOT have those "polyester" or whatever tight things around your wrist. It is loose, and can be tightened / closed with a button.

As far as what "navetsea" has posted earlier, thank you for trying to help, and the first pic caught my attention, but no, none of those really resemble this jacket. And it's definitely not a "parka", as those are huge length, sometimes even to your knees.

The closest I've come to is this:

It's an Indiana Jones "Lost Ark" replica. The collar, the color (brown, slightly distressed), the thickness of the leather, lack of upper pockets and therefore huge front pockets... all match. However, there are also obviously significant differences. There are lack of buttons in the middle, plus the cuffs are not similar. But this is the closest I've come to. With some slight modifications, a replica could be made out of one of these I guess. But on the other hand, getting one made from scratch would probably be the best version. The jackets in that video are fairly small on the people wearing them, but the sleeves themselves aren't small, which again, means that getting it custom made would be best.

And seeing how I'm 184 cm tall and weigh about 80 kg, in order to get that oversized look I'd need at least 4XL or 5XL I imagine?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This jacket you posted photos of:
upload_2021-12-13_21-10-37.png

Appears to me as a typical 3/4 length mall-style brown cowhide jacket from the early '90's. Entirely reasonable and probably would have been easy to find at one point. In all seriousness you might do better finding one similar to this through Ragstock, or a similar second-hand store. (Unless of course, you want to source a new one - in that case Five Star might be a really good bet and could adjust it to your preferred fit.)

Only issue you may find going through a second-hand source such as Ragstock is that many of their jackets get "bailed". This typically leaves creases all over the leather which are difficult, if not impossible to remove. The good news is that off the rack at Ragstock typically runs around $20.00 per jacket, so not a large investment to chance. There were scores of 3/4 length non-bomber jackets made in the '90's.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
That guy only appear on 2 episodes because the role of hitman was then replaced by the actor Brian Thompson, and that character Alex Krycek guy. So there is even a chance the guy brought his own jacket to the set.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It might be slightly oversized which I think is cool and more comfortable. I have many "normal" regular size leather jackets as well as oversized ones. I like both, depending on the occasion. Same thing with t-shirts and buttoned shirts. The whole tight/slim fit style or whatever it's called where you can barely move your arms / yourself in your clothing - what seems to be "in" nowadays - just doesn't appeal to me. With due respect, to each their own.

I think no one here will tell you what to like and what not. But even under objective criteria, the jacket doesn't fit. No matter which decade you take, it is simply too big. Whether it corresponds to the respective ideal of beauty is of course a completely different question.
I myself wore (too) large jackets in the 80s/90s and it was not noticeable because there was simply nothing else. Just about everyone walked around like that. And now again many kids wear extremely too big pants/shirts/jackets. If you like it-> wonderful.
I make no secret of the fact that I like well-fitting tight jackets and I can assure you, with a good pattern the freedom of movement is better than with the oversized jacket. But again, this is definitely a matter of taste.
Good luck finding just that jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It might be slightly oversized which I think is cool and more comfortable. I have many "normal" regular size leather jackets as well as oversized ones. I like both, depending on the occasion. Same thing with t-shirts and buttoned shirts. The whole tight/slim fit style or whatever it's called where you can barely move your arms / yourself in your clothing - what seems to be "in" nowadays - just doesn't appeal to me. With due respect, to each their own.

That jacket is a great example of how not to fit a leather jacket, it looks like a big leather bag...
As far as design goes it has no redeeming features that i can see, it's a horrible amalgamation of multiple different jackets that have nothing in common.
This jacket should remain in the 90s, it looks just as garbagy as Ross's jacket does.

barnabus

One Too Many
Welcome @Zangy003 !

I think the difficulty you might find locating a jacket like this is twofold; it's not currently a popular style, so unlikely to be found new at retailers.

It's a very 90s design, which is fine if that's what you're after, but not something that conforms to what many people will be looking to buy today - be that fashion consumers or enthusiasts as you'll find in this forum.

So you'd have to look for a used example from the time, and that's where the second problem might crop up; as you've mentioned, this jacket is an amalgam of numerous features from different styles, rather than a specific style such as a trucker or car coat. So it's going to be difficult to search for and absolute pot luck whether you come across one.

And I doubt it's anything other than a generic mall jacket, not styled after any particular design. You can find many examples of generic non-particular jackets for sale in lots of shops, but of course they don't resemble this one as this isn't something people are currently looking for.

I reckon your best option would be to approach a custom maker, as has been suggested here. That way you can get exactly what you want, with all the specific small details that make this jacket appeal to you; cuffs, wind flap, etc.

You'll be able to achieve this oversized fit that you're after too, as otherwise I think you'll struggle to find something that fits in this specific 90s style.

Remember, of course a lot of folks on this forum will dismiss the style and fit, as would I, but it's not about what we want. I hope you find the jacket you're looking for and it makes you happy to wear it!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Welcome @Zangy003 !

Remember, of course a lot of folks on this forum will dismiss the style and fit, as would I, but it's not about what we want. I hope you find the jacket you're looking for and it makes you happy to wear it!

Friends don't let friends go out looking like that...
We didn't know any better in the 90s, but this is 2021, we have have a better understanding of what is right or wrong now!

barnabus

One Too Many
We didn't know any better in the 90s, but this is 2021, we have have a better understanding of what is right or wrong now!

I got the impression it's more for a sort of cosplay thing, as he's said the style needs to be spacious to conceal a weapon underneath. I'm hoping that's not relevant for going out day to day!

Edward

Bartender
With many years of active service in the Fishnet Army (Rocky Horror shadowcasting community) under my belt, as well as experience of replicating costumes from other franchises with attention to detail being everything, I can absolutely empathise with the frustration of trying to track down something very specific and impossible to find. Good luck in getting anything out of the original costume designer if you manage to speak with them: again, from experience, you're asking people about the details of a job they did as a job thirty odd years ago and it was, to them then, just another job... I've heard costumers contradict themselves, misremember things, or just have zero recollection of something that either then remains a mystery, or (especially in the VHS / pre-DVD era) a matter of heated fan dispute for years on end....

That said.... This does indeed look very much like a generic, leather coat from the early 90s. It's definitely being worn several sizes 'large' as was then fashionable. I remember my dad having (probably still does, actually) a whole series of anoraks he wore in Winter that were very much this pattern, though his were all either wool, cotton, or some sort of polycotton shell over poly-lining and batting. This has the look of one of those, with a leather shell already a little larger than you would normally see in a leather jacket to allow for a thicker, cold-weather lining.*

This is the sort of thing my Dad wears, and the sort of fit that I recall being normal, at least in NI / the UK in my experience back in the 90s:

il_fullxfull.2115959534_prub.jpg

(Not leather, but here further photos: https://www.betamenswear.com/listing/760588227/grey-wool-blend-parka-coat-vintage-90s)

The one from the TV show looks outsized to me even by contemporary standards; perhaps it was indeed the case that the jacket was purchased several sizes larger for reasons of accommodating weaponry for story reasons.

I don't know where you'd go to find this style new today. I'd be surprised if there's any big label making it, given that it's neither now in fashion particularly, nor is there (yet) any market for reproductions of 1990s styles. I suspect haunting enough charity shops and places selling second hand clothing would turn up something close, depending on tolerances. I'm sure I've seen a fair few things like it on ebay - again, subject to how exacting requirements are for replicating the item on screen.

(*See, for example, how Aero work. For the appropriate upcharge, you can order any Aero leather jacket with a shearling lining. When they make that jacket, the shell will be one normally used in a jacket the next size up from your order so that it can accommodate such a thick lining while retaining the correct fit internally.)

This just looks like an amalgamation of many different jackets. The two jackets it's most closely patterned after would probably be an Indy jacket with car coat length.

A pretty good description, all in. This style was everywhere in my experience in the 90s, though much more common in textile than leather. A lot of / most fashion leather in those days in my experience was lamb, the fragility of which might mean wearable, surviving examples are rare enough now.

If there are an X-Files or 90s boards about, they might be able to shed further light; although TFL Outerwear has drifted somewhat from the original 30s & 40s period of interest, the 90s isn't really big news here so there isn't the level of knowledge (at least outside of the early days of WW2 era reproductions) here that there is, collectively, for anything much pre 1980.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
That guy only appear on 2 episodes because the role of hitman was then replaced by the actor Brian Thompson, and that character Alex Krycek guy. So there is even a chance the guy brought his own jacket to the set.
This is incorrect. This character (Crew-Cut Man / The Cleaner) has nothing to do with Thompson's character. There were plenty of hitmen on the series, mostly unnamed but with nicknames given, including but not limited to Crew-Cut-Man, Grey-Haired Man, Red-Haired Man, Moustache Man, etc., including Alex Krycek. But none of them were a replacement to this guy, especially Brian Thompson. In fact, Thompson's character is an alien shapeshifter and a totally different deal. I wouldn't wish to derail the thread discussing a TV series though.

I got the impression it's more for a sort of cosplay thing, as he's said the style needs to be spacious to conceal a weapon underneath. I'm hoping that's not relevant for going out day to day!
Oh no, not a cosplay lol. I was just assuming that an advantage of having such a jacket is to be able to conceal carry, cause you got a bit more space. The guy plays an assassin. Perhaps that's what they thought about when they "dressed" the actor/character.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
That jacket is a great example of how not to fit a leather jacket, it looks like a big leather bag...
As far as design goes it has no redeeming features that i can see, it's a horrible amalgamation of multiple different jackets that have nothing in common.
This jacket should remain in the 90s, it looks just as garbagy as Ross's jacket does.

lmao

Why yes, of course. And jackets like those of "Philipp Plein" are one of those things that are "right". They look incredible and are most definitely worth the money. :D

You said "but this is 2021". Yes it is, indeed...

https://www.farfetch.com/de/shopping/men/philipp-plein-bikerjacke-aus-leder-item-14674587.aspx

https://www.farfetch.com/de/shoppin...ckte-bomberjacke-aus-leder-item-16190959.aspx

Now I know what "right" means! :)

Last edited:

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Thank you (not all, but most of you) for your contributions to this thread.

Alright, so, whereas some people in this thread were just straight up ridiculous in their remarks and even borderline disrespectful, others of them were genuinely funny (like "Will Zach", his comment above made me laugh)... but nonetheless the majority of comments were very insightful. It all comes down to either (a) finding a very "similar" jacket or (b) getting a replica of sorts, custom made.

At this point I'm leaning towards option (b), as I think "barnabus" explained it very well earlier...
I reckon your best option would be to approach a custom maker, as has been suggested here. That way you can get exactly what you want, with all the specific small details that make this jacket appeal to you; cuffs, wind flap, etc.

You'll be able to achieve this oversized fit that you're after too, as otherwise I think you'll struggle to find something that fits in this specific 90s style.

Now, since I have absolutely zero experience with getting custom made jackets. Can someone please point me in the right direction(s)? I keep hearing about "Wested". Have tried their online chat now via FB Messenger but no one is responding. What are some other companies that would do this, and approximately how much are the costs, let's say from lowest to highest, just as an approximate?

I also own some similar jackets that could be modified, and would probably be able to buy even more similar ones. So, would it not be easier to get a company to "modify" an already existing, similar jacket instead of making something from scratch? As you can see, I am obviously very confused when it comes to this.

I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
What does this mean?

We're all free to share our options and I think everyone who posted here did so in a respectful matter.
No.

Saying "I don't like it" or "I would never wear that" is totally fine and respectful. Saying it's "garbage" is an entirely different thing, implying a person wearing it would be wearing / looking like garbage. Disrespectful and unnecessary.

But good attempt at trying to derail the thread and make it all about the "evil original poster who is stirring trouble".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn