Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can the Snood Save Christmas?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Sorry...all other things aside...if they name it a snarf...they are in deep deep trouble.

Snarf: when one is eating and is provoked by something funny which causes them to laugh and expel said food out of nasal passages; may also come out of mouth. also applies to liquids.

/\ lol lol

Methinks the author of this article has been misinformed.

If I could get over the fact that I wore a *real* snood back in 1992, I could probably wear one today. But these things? Seems like they'd slip right off your head and leave your hair looking all messy. (Snarf hair?)
They could be cute if done in a Gene Tierney-in-Sundown (aka Fake 1940s Arabian) way, but *comfortable* is not the word I'd use.

Story

I'll Lock Up
ShoreRoadLady said:
/\ lol lol

Methinks the author of this article has been misinformed..

Methinks the author of this article thought a Snood was a Dr. Seuss character. [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Sorry...all other things aside...if they name it a snarf...they are in deep deep trouble.

Snarf: when one is eating and is provoked by something funny which causes them to laugh and expel said food out of nasal passages; may also come out of mouth. also applies to liquids.

This is the Snarf I know. :rolleyes:

snarf1.jpg

LD

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:

I use snarf to describe when a dog tries to lick your hand, but snorts at the same time - It's an onomatopoeia lol

Vintage terms and names are hilariously misinterpreted today. Those "snoods" are a case in point.
Type "vintage fashion" into Google Image Search and you will get this:

il_fullxfull62212866.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey the 80s are almost 30 years old now. Its vintage.

I think their going for something more like this.
Or perhaps this (found searching for the word 'snood').
Wow this pattern actually had a snood pattern inside it (the snoods *we* know)!

LD

cecil

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
I use snarf to describe when a dog tries to lick your hand, but snorts at the same time - It's an onomatopoeia lol

Vintage terms and names are hilariously misinterpreted today. Those "snoods" are a case in point.

il_fullxfull62212866.jpg

*shifty eyes* I kinda like those pants.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Hey the 80s are almost 30 years old now. Its vintage.
Or perhaps this (found searching for the word 'snood').

I suppose so, eh? :rolleyes:

I quite like the scarf things in that pattern! I wouldn't call them snoods though.

Brooksie

One Too Many
C-dot said:

il_fullxfull62212866.jpg

I think the boots have some possibilities just not with that outfit.

Now back to snoods or mock snoods that is...in 2004(during the time of the broach debaucle) the infamous "they" came out with a hooded tunnel type of scarf already but at least it was not called a snood. I don't know if anyone remembers this but they sold them in a variety of different colors, they were soft and fuzzy? It was reported that this one scarf could be worn about 7 different ways and one of them was over the head.

Brooksie

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Story said:
This holiday season, retailers are betting big on the snood, a cross between a scarf and a hood that, when worn over the head, is reminiscent of a babushka.

The trend emerged on the Fall 2009 runways of designers like Missoni (knit snoods) and Burberry (plaid snoods) and also made an appearance in the commercial collections of Donna Karan and Yves Saint Laurent. Now it's gone mainstream, with retailers ranging from American Apparel to Zara getting behind the loopy style with snoods of varying lengths and monikers. The British version of GQ magazine's Web site recently posted a "Guide to Snoods," suggesting wearers try it "over a chunky knit or tailored jacket."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703740004574514061253793806.html

thats funny... we call scarf hooded hats : Scoodies.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Well, 90s vintage themed parties are apparently already a rage with teenagers. I thought something had to be at least 25 years old to be vintage.

VintageVixie

At least this is the kind of thing that won't last long. If it sells, everyone will buy and wear them for a season or two, and then no one will wear them. Like ponchos were a few years ago, just a trend for those who only know how to follow what 'fashion' tells them to.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
Well, 90s vintage themed parties are apparently already a rage with teenagers. I thought something had to be at least 25 years old to be vintage.

Boy does that make me feel old. I grew up in the 90's...

Teenagers today are born in the 90's anyway! How does that work?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lillemor said:

How does that work? There was no 'theme' in the 90s. It was the first decade without its own style lol

LD

Lenore

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
How does that work? There was no 'theme' in the 90s. It was the first decade without its own style lol

LD

I was thinking the same thing. I was a teen in the 90's and remember nothing but a hodge podge of whatever people seemed to throw together with an emphasis on flannel shirts and holey jeans...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner