Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can the Snood Save Christmas?

Antje

One Too Many
Hamilton honey, great snood, :eusa_clap

when I want a snood I will ask my mom to make me one,
I wouldn't buy such an ugly thing I saw on the pictureshow.

Hamilton_Honey said:
This is one of my newest favorites - the 1945 "Loop the Loop" snood. I used a hand dyed fingering weight wool in a shade called "visual purple" that is just like honey to a bear for me :)

I love the fun textures of the loops and of course the Lover's knot stitch.

100_1546.jpg

Here's the picture from the original pattern:

1945LooptheLoopSnood.jpg

What a fun snood! That color is very pretty!

Here is my open crown snood. I've added to the original pattern by lining the inside of the headband with cotton.
4160158671_2d32b51743.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
What a fun snood! That color is very pretty!

Here is my open crown snood. I've added to the original pattern by lining the inside of the headband with cotton.
4160158671_2d32b51743.jpg

Supposed to go to a Christmas party tonight... I'm sad to be snoodless...I really could use one with the style I was planning to do. I'm too lazy to do the back.. on the plus/minus side, the monkey is sick so we might not be going anywhere...

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I would love to know the purpose of a snood as in back in the day, were they an accessory, for adornment, for a quick way to keep your hair in place while not having to create an elaborate hairstyle? Also, what is a "rat" besides a rodent ;) ?

My grandmother almost always wore one and as a child I thought it was a hair net like a cook would wearlol They look appealing to me and if they are not to cumbersome to put on... I want one!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Snoods became a fad in 1940 after the release of "Gone With The Wind," where they were featured as an element of Civil War-era fashion. They remained popular on thru the early forties as a practical and more attractive alternative to a babushka, and were also popular with war workers as a way of keeping hair out of machinery.

A "rat" is simply a form used for making big rolls or pompadours. Easiest way to make one is to harvest shed hair from a brush and stuff it into a cut-off piece of an old stocking until you have something that looks like a thick sausage. Roll your hair around it, pin it in place, and there you go.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
A "rat" is simply a form used for making big rolls or pompadours. Easiest way to make one is to harvest shed hair from a brush and stuff it into a cut-off piece of an old stocking until you have something that looks like a thick sausage. Roll your hair around it, pin it in place, and there you go.

I love the rat. There is no faster way to amazing rolls. See avatar, and Fleur de Guerre ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner