Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can the Snood Save Christmas?

Story

I'll Lock Up
This holiday season, retailers are betting big on the snood, a cross between a scarf and a hood that, when worn over the head, is reminiscent of a babushka.

The trend emerged on the Fall 2009 runways of designers like Missoni (knit snoods) and Burberry (plaid snoods) and also made an appearance in the commercial collections of Donna Karan and Yves Saint Laurent. Now it's gone mainstream, with retailers ranging from American Apparel to Zara getting behind the loopy style with snoods of varying lengths and monikers. The British version of GQ magazine's Web site recently posted a "Guide to Snoods," suggesting wearers try it "over a chunky knit or tailored jacket."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703740004574514061253793806.html

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I was thinking the same thing. Those look pretty much like something you'd find in the 'cowl' department at Etsy.
If they've designed a morph between a scarf and a snood, perhaps it ought to be called a 'scood', or a 'snarf'?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I bought one in the mid 80s, at a Renaissance Fair. It never suited me, but my teenage daughter has gotten a bit of use from it in recent months. She digs its vintage appeal. ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:
I was thinking the same thing. Those look pretty much like something you'd find in the 'cowl' department at Etsy.
If they've designed a morph between a scarf and a snood, perhaps it ought to be called a 'scood', or a 'snarf'?

Sorry...all other things aside...if they name it a snarf...they are in deep deep trouble.

Snarf: when one is eating and is provoked by something funny which causes them to laugh and expel said food out of nasal passages; may also come out of mouth. also applies to liquids.

i.e. This article on snoods made me snarf my diet coke, they are so far off base.

VintageVixie

^lol

I have a snood and a super snood (twice as long as the standard) because my hair is too thick and long to fit in the usual size. So thank goodness for Ren Faires, or I'd never have found my super snood.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Sorry...all other things aside...if they name it a snarf...they are in deep deep trouble.

Snarf: when one is eating and is provoked by something funny which causes them to laugh and expel said food out of nasal passages; may also come out of mouth. also applies to liquids.

i.e. This article on snoods made me snarf my diet coke, they are so far off base.

Exactly. lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ThesFlishThngs said:
What happened to the brooch in '04?

Remember the brooch craze? Bling bling brooches were everywhere. The new accessory, and made real quality ones harder to find and 5x their value.
*sigh*

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Neecerie said:

AWESOME. I vote for this name. :arated:

P.S.- those things are ugly in a big way. Maybe if the models didn't look like the thing was eating their heads and they were unhappy about it it could be cute.

VintageVixie

I think I'm going to write a letter... to the guy who in the article said he decided on the term.

Hehe, makes me almost want to start an online petition. :p

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
VintageVixie said:
I think I'm going to write a letter... to the guy who in the article said he decided on the term.

Hehe, makes me almost want to start an online petition. :p
Or one of those Causes Facebook pages. That ain't no darn snood!

cecil

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
Calling one of those wide wobbly loops a snood is pretty much the same as calling a waffle iron a leaf blower.

Hahahahaha! I just "snarfed" water all over the keyboard.

Snoods my eye. Pah!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I think it looks like a cowl too. I was some what grateful when the brooch came back in 04' though I didn't jump on the trend because the qualities were some what disappointing. None of the ones I've bought have lasted (they're decorations on homemade boys toy wood swords) but only one of my vintage brooches has suffered damage on one of the twigs on a leaf brooch. Nothing I can't glue from time to time. The last "snoods" I remember were the ones in the late 80s-early 90s that were very small and attached to a spring clip.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
HA

ThesFlishThngs said:
Calling one of those wide wobbly loops a snood is pretty much the same as calling a waffle iron a leaf blower.

Now that made me snarf my coke at the screen. There is a for lack of better terms a weird "singer" that made these stupid looking things popular. And when I say she's weird I'm being nice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner