Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you get a quality straw hat for $100

One Too Many
2267907900106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

In USA is not easy to get a good straw hat under $ 100.00, but out in other countries, people can buy one like as I am using, excellent woven, genuine straw, believe or not believe: $ 10.00 U.S. dollars. This was woven in Sahuayo, Michoacán, Mex.

Ankerstjerne

New in Town
I examined a Sahuayo palm straw hat at Goodwill yesterday. It was not my size, but I am intrigued by the feel and texture. Anyone know of a Sahuayo dealer in the metro Los Angeles area?

JeffOYB

Vendor
I vote for Casey at panamahatsdirect. I don't think this is 'secret' info but I've heard that he's prepping to launch a newly designed website where every hat and variant is pictured as you will receive it. He has been using this system for his Sales, which I especially have enjoyed. Normally you pick your parameters and get a hat that matches the parameters (often made to order). For the Sales you input your size then see pics of the actual hats, close-ups, too. Soon the whole regular site will be like this!

I haven't sprung for one yet, but I notice he sometimes has seconds or defectives of high-level hats at large discounts. The defects are photographed in detail and are often small and at the back of the hat, etc.

I'm also very interested in his Semi-Calados -- hats with decorative -- yet functional -- venting in the crown. More air, more better.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
For the Sales you input your size then see pics of the actual hats, close-ups, too. Soon the whole regular site will be like this!

Interesting. That's how my order went down (stock hat). I was able to see the picture and while on the phone, William actually looked at the hat (plus one other one), described it and answered questions about it. I felt that if I ordered again, that would be the only way.

Andy

RJR

You can absolutely get a "good quality straw"for under $100.The issue is type,weave,etc.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
No. Told them to apply it towards my next hat... PS. That vented Scala Brisa I'm wearing today was only $85 at Bencraft. Its pretty decent.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Looking for a summer hat. Never had a straw one.

I'd like one that looks the most, shape wise, to my Henry.

Can you get a quality one for around $100?

-Tim
You can get a mediocre straw for around that kind of money. I bought a Cappas Bogart a couple of years ago for near to that price. I wasn't overly impressed with it. For a good quality straw be prepared to dig deep into your pockets. Maybe one of the custom hatters here on the Lounge Can make one up for you. You may pay a little more for a custom, but it would be just the way you want it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
If most people are like me, those who have limited funds to shell out , the lesser expensive straws are a far more appealing option. Warehouse work doesn't pay me enough to where I can afford to buy a nice vintage straw or a Brent Black panama, (i.e.), that would cost to the hundreds and even thousands of dollars. I'd definitely buy a lesser expensive one if I could even afford that! A couple of years ago I bought a Cappas Bogart. I hated that hat after I got it. It was okay quality wise for the money. I just hated its low tapered crown of under 4 inches and it's 2 1/2 brim width. I'd want a taller straight sided crown with a wider brim of around 2 5/8 - 2 3/4. It's hard to find those dimensions in an off the shelf lesser expensive straw....

Check out these prices! The finer the weave, the more you pay.

https://www.brentblack.com/prices-and-pricing.html

No standardized grading system for panama hats...

https://www.brentblack.com/pages/panamahatgrades2.html

Summary: There is no standardized grading system for Panama hats. Different sellers often use the same numbers or terms to describe very different hats.

Many sellers use numbers to describe Panama hat “grades.” Unfortunately, they use different formulas to calculate their grade numbers. So a Grade 10 from Seller #1 is not the same quality as a Grade 10 from Seller #2, and both are different than a Grade 10 from Seller #3.

Many sellers use terms such as Fino Fino and Super Fino to describe Montecristi Panama hat “grades.” As with numeric hat “grades,” different sellers often use the same words to describe very different hats. Unfortunately, there are no Hat Grade Police.

The common practice of different sellers using the same numeric or word “hat grades” to describe very different hats is one explanation for why sometimes the words sound the same, but the prices are so different.

Conclusion: You cannot reliably compare hats from different sellers by comparing the “hat grade” numbers, or words, they use to describe their hats.

NOTE: informational, only. Not a criticism.

In my case, and with my limited funds, I'd shell out the 100 bucks for something that I could afford.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
TJones: I did the same thing. Last Spring/Summer began my first year of buying and wearing hats. I ended up with hats that had smaller brims, lower and more tapered crowns than what I now currently enjoy. If you like Milan Hemp straw, contact Peter Bros. They'll make somethin custom in your specs and price range for $100 if you tell them you're a Fellow Lounger.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
+1 on the P.Bros hemp milan. I have one and it's my all-time favorite Summer hat. Much more durable than any panama, much better ventilation than non-calados.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TJones: I did the same thing. Last Spring/Summer began my first year of buying and wearing hats. I ended up with hats that had smaller brims, lower and more tapered crowns than what I now currently enjoy. If you like Milan Hemp straw, contact Peter Bros. They'll make somethin custom in your specs and price range for $100 if you tell them you're a Fellow Lounger.
Excellent. I'll probably give them a call. The biggest drawback for me to buying a newer straw is that I don't have the options to getting the dimensions I want. Looks like Stetson is trying to make some retro looking straws, but still, the same problem, low crowns and narrow brims, 2 1/2 and under. If I were designing straws for Stetson I'd look at the specs that most people prefer in their felts. I think the new Milan Strat still has a lower crown and narrow brim width. That wouldn't even interest me. But, yeah, I think I'll try to give Peters Bros a call and see what they can come up with.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars

Still waiting for mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo