Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you get a quality straw hat for $100

deruitem

New in Town
Fedora help

Need some help. Trying to find a panama fedora. Classic with a snapped down front and snapped up rear. Somewhere in the 100-150s

Inusuit

A-List Customer
David Morgan carries some nice Panama fedoras in your price range. I don't know much about Panama hats, but DM is a reputable company. I have ordered Akubra hats from them with no issues. Fast delivery, accurate sizing, generous return policy.

Google will get you lots of hits, but it's difficult to determine the quality from the multiple web pages that come up. Not very helpful, really.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm getting interested in the Peters Bros. hemp, and I'm thinking Stratoliner. Can you get them in darker shades or even black? And how about sizes? Do they go up to a 7 7/8? Thanks for any help.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm getting interested in the Peters Bros. hemp, and I'm thinking Stratoliner. Can you get them in darker shades or even black? And how about sizes? Do they go up to a 7 7/8? Thanks for any help.

Give em a call. Only they can tell u what sizes and colors are available. The had a lighter off white, a darker natural, a darker brown they called Peanut Buttet and a grey/black. Their websites not great. Fellow Lounger NYAH had a STRAT clone done. $100 for fellow loungers. $25 xtra for finished brim binding.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
There was a black Milan body when I was at PB Hats a while ago.

It looked quite nice.

Art Fawcett made me a Dualist (Milan crown and beaver felt brim) in black too - black is a great colour for a straw hats.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Give em a call. Only they can tell u what sizes and colors are available. The had a lighter off white, a darker natural, a darker brown they called Peanut Buttet and a grey/black. Their websites not great. Fellow Lounger NYAH had a STRAT clone done. $100 for fellow loungers. $25 xtra for finished brim binding.

I forgot to call them yesterday. At those prices it looks like you get a lot of hat for the money. The best thing, you get one according to your specs. Can't beat the price on that. I downloaded pics of your hat and also pics of Nyah's Strat clone.

Is there a thread dedicated to PB's hats yet?

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
The Akubra Capricorn is well below $100.00 and is a poly straw. It can be worn in the rain.

IMG_20150804_113057_zpsu50e83rl.jpg

IMG_20150804_112947_zpsrwnji6ud.jpg

tropicalbob

Thanks, gents, for the Peters Bros. tips. A black Milan Strat would be my grail hat. As for the polystraws, I had an Orvis version a few years back but found it so hot and uncomfortable that I gave it to an old fellow on the Greek island I was visiting. That day I went into the village and found a very nice Equadorian straw at a local shop, and in my 7 7/8 size! Swore I'd never wear another poly.

job

One Too Many
I find that the Capricorn has enough ventilation for me. I don't know about the Orvis model. They all have their place. On a summer day that may turn to rain I feel safe wearing the Akubra out. I just don't want to mess up a more fragile, more expensive straw.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to call them yesterday. At those prices it looks like you get a lot of hat for the money. The best thing, you get one according to your specs. Can't beat the price on that. I downloaded pics of your hat and also pics of Nyah's Strat clone.

Is there a thread dedicated to PB's hats yet?

Idk? I haven't seen one but I havnt looked either.

tropicalbob

I find that the Capricorn has enough ventilation for me. I don't know about the Orvis model. They all have their place. On a summer day that may turn to rain I feel safe wearing the Akubra out. I just don't want to mess up a more fragile, more expensive straw.

Yes, I've always liked the look of the Capricorn, but the experience of the Orvis hat put me off the polys. Probably simple prejudice. Anyway, living where I do, especially at this time of year when the weather's as changeable as a baby's bottom, I also wanted one that could handle the rain, so I invested in a Sunbody last year. IMHO, it's one of the best deals out there.

tropicalbob

I just got off the phone with the guys from Peters Bros. and followed up with an email. Stratoliner-style in dark brown with a 2 3/4 brim and a C or teardrop crown. Man, I love the feeling of ordering a custom job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo