Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you get a quality straw hat for $100

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Excellent. I'll probably give them a call. The biggest drawback for me to buying a newer straw is that I don't have the options to getting the dimensions I want. Looks like Stetson is trying to make some retro looking straws, but still, the same problem, low crowns and narrow brims, 2 1/2 and under. If I were designing straws for Stetson I'd look at the specs that most people prefer in their felts. I think the new Milan Strat still has a lower crown and narrow brim width. That wouldn't even interest me. But, yeah, I think I'll try to give Peters Bros a call and see what they can come up with.
They gave me abt 5+ inch front crown height 5.75 inch side and abt 2.75+ in brim.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
"Indy" no. My specs and creases are different as is the blocking and pug. Here's some pics
efcc7bb677844e09a097d732bc0d93b0.jpg
abdb9e1f73a1dfe01730003866efb084.jpg
9f4f750c8730a7e3e1ea787bc7dbd686.jpg
6b387e444f71c2e36925b53d9f818513.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
"Indy" no. My specs and creases are different as is the blocking and pug. Here's some pics
efcc7bb677844e09a097d732bc0d93b0.jpg
abdb9e1f73a1dfe01730003866efb084.jpg
9f4f750c8730a7e3e1ea787bc7dbd686.jpg
6b387e444f71c2e36925b53d9f818513.jpg

That's from Peters Bros? Nice. Yeah, that's one I would definitely like. I have to say, that's far and above one of the best looking straws I've seen. I bet it was made on the same block as their Raiders. Nice straight sides with a tall crown and creased with a Center Dent. I definitely like your hat. Was it very pricey?

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thx "T" I've posted it so much on The Lounge that Fruno thinks I'm getting a commission from them! LOL!!! It was $150 on sale for $100. Sales over but after talking to Brad the owner he EXTENDED it to Fellow Loungers only. Indefinitely... So the custom Milan Hemp is still $100. As far as i kno mine is not the same block as the "Indy." Per my request, I believe Shane used a BIGGER block for this hat...

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thx "T" I've posted it so much on The Lounge that Fruno thinks I'm getting a commission from them! LOL!!! It was $150 on sale for $100. Sales over but after talking to Brad the owner he EXTENDED it to Fellow Loungers only. Indefinitely... So the custom Milan Hemp is still $100. As far as i kno mine is not the same block as the "Indy." Per my request, I believe Shane used a BIGGER block for this hat...

It's definitely a nice tall straight sided crown. It really looks nice. I'm going to give them a call and see about getting one. I like everything about that hat.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Another example of a custom hemp milan by P.Bros is my strato. The brim binding is not included in the $100 sale extension but, even without, this would still be a functional and durable (and stylish, IMO) hat for Summer.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Specs and full size pics available here.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Another example of a custom hemp milan by P.Bros is my strato. The brim binding is not included in the $100 sale extension but, even without, this would still be a functional and durable (and stylish, IMO) hat for Summer.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Specs and full size pics available here.
Nice. I like that one too. That's closer to looking more like a Strat than Stetson's very own straw version. How tall is the crown and brim width on yours?

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Nyah has a tighter front pinch, lower center point crown at 4.75 abt 5 in sides and a deeper break towards a lower rear of the C crown. I believe a slightly smaller brim. I asjed for a "softer" pinch with softer sides. I have a higher simple center crease, with a 1/8 to 1/4 in hardly discernable break front to rear. I requested a deeper flange as I like a shorter brim break.

Last edited:

Nyah

One of the Regulars
The crown is 5" at it's highest and the brim is 2&5/8". In addition to that I told them I wanted the crown to be as straight-sided as possible, with a teardrop crease. I also said I wanted the ribbon and binding to match a vintage Stratoliner but that was my only request in which I specified that hat model. The sum of it all just seemed functionally asthetic to me.

Interesting to know that my hat is a better repro of a vintage Strat than even what Stetson is offering. Maybe I should go taunt the Modern milan Stetson Stratoliner thread with it. :eek:

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nyah has a tighter front pinch, lower center point crown at 4.75 abt 5 in sides and a deeper break towards a lower rear of the C crown. I believe a slightly smaller brim. I asjed for a "softer" pinch with softer sides. I have a higher simple center crease, with a 1/8 to 1/4 in hardly discernable break front to rear. I requested a deeper flange as I like a shorter brim break.
Okay. I see it now. I'm posting from my I phone and I didn't see the link he provided until just now. I like those dimensions for either a Strat or an OR. He has it creased at 4 3/4 at the pinch with a C Crown crease. Perfect on that style of hat. My OR style hats are done that way.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I wasn't really even trying to make a close reproduction of a stratoliner. I'm not a tall guy and wasn't sure if a 3+" brim or huge crown would work for me.

That said, I also placed an order for a Bob Roberts model, just for kicks.:eek:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yes, his hat is nice. I didn't want a Strat clone... LOL!

I'll be calling Peters Bros one day this week. My first straw purchase from them is going to be a hat similar to yours, then I'm going to save up $$$ again and get a second hat like his. At least, that's the plan. :) I really like that tall straight sided crown on yours, especially with the Center Dent.

Last edited:

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I'll be calling Peters Bros one day this week. My first straw purchase from them is going to be a hat similar to yours, then I'm going to save up $$$ again and get a second hat like his. At least, that's the plan. :) I really like that tall straight sided crown on yours, especially with the Center Dent.
Shane made both of these hats so, ask for him if you want to be sure of getting the same hat for your own size.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't really even trying to make a close reproduction of a stratoliner. I'm not a tall guy and wasn't sure if a 3+" brim or huge crown would work for me.

That said, I also placed an order for a Bob Roberts model, just for kicks.:eek:

Lol. Your hat is a beauty! Just wanted somthin different...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Thx. Shane didn't want to use the big 6in block but I sorta insisted. Lol. I swear the hat is like a "10 gallon hat!" Lol. They have 7in block but it has more taper so I passed...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thx. Shane didn't want to use the big 6in block but I sorta insisted. Lol. I swear the hat is like a "10 gallon hat!" Lol. They have 7in block but it has more taper so I passed...

I love tall crowns. The 6in block would be fine for me. I downloaded the pictures of your hat. When I talk to him I'll show him the pictures. Not sure about the ribbon treatment yet. Don't know if I'll go with a pug or a ribbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo