Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Idledame

Practically Family
The first pair has that high vamp that was so popular in the 30s. The others look 40s. I love them!!
Does anyone know the history of these plastic necklaces? I assume they're '40s but I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing plastic in any movies. Maybe it was just teenagers who wore them? Or was it like just vacation beach wear? I've never noticed them in any family pictures either.
Jyc1ZDDfosPODdlJCV7s27R78Oh1GUnb0300.jpg

Xh3wr7KDan3RU6VAMbASP0IFiBUANGpO0300.jpg

Hctamz+txfFE1Z0M5jf6OtWvecUnKHsb0300.jpg

6x2MBp6Em6UEd0U8UX+PhU0SPdmiZcit0300.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Canisters

Thanks for your input ladies!! I am just going to assume that they are 50's. :) And here I guessed 70's! I thought about trying to find the coffee and tea tins to match, but I don't drink either so there is no point. If I ever find a man who does though... oh boy... I am going to have to look. :(

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks for your help.

Yes it's me in the picture. I'm a beginner with cameras and can't get that with line away but in time I will.

I adore those necklaces. Haven't seen them before so can't be of any help, I'm afraid. What do you wear them to? Do you wear them to dresses mostly? Have you any pictures of them on someone? I 'll have to google them a little to see if anything comes up.

M

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LolitaHaze said:
Thanks for your input ladies!! I am just going to assume that they are 50's. :) And here I guessed 70's! I thought about trying to find the coffee and tea tins to match, but I don't drink either so there is no point. If I ever find a man who does though... oh boy... I am going to have to look. :(

Well you can always use them as storage containers for other things like grains or pasta.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary, the 2nd and 3rd pair definitely look 40s. I'd say the first pair looks more 30s, due to the heel shape and the lower heel height (and also the higher vamp, as Idledame mentioned).

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Idledame said:
Does anyone know the history of these plastic necklaces? I assume they're '40s but I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing plastic in any movies. Maybe it was just teenagers who wore them? Or was it like just vacation beach wear? I've never noticed them in any family pictures either.

Idledame, I've always heard that necklaces like this were from the 40s, but I'm not an expert.

I can tell you one thing though - celluloid necklaces like that tend to fetch high prices on Ebay. Great finds, they're stunning!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Well you can always use them as storage containers for other things like grains or pasta.

Hahah so true so true! My dumb head would probably forget what I put in there though! Hah! But that does give me an idea... while I won't fully go on a quest to find the other two, if I see them, I am grabbing them! :)

Mary

Practically Family
Thank you Lauren. You are very precise. Fun to hear that you believe the third pair is from the late 30's. I didn't know at all. And others have suggested 40's. What makes you say late 30's?

I'll have to look through more books on shoes! Is there a good book on 30's and 40's shoes only? I'd love to read it if there is!

M

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think it's the shape of the heel and the way the toe is shaped which makes me say earlier. I have one pair in this style, and they are getting harder and harder to find. I was just leafing through a Vogue magazine from 1937 last night and saw similar shoes. I don't personally know any good shoe books, other than one from Schiffer, but it's focusing more on designer shoes. It's good to go to the library and leaf through magazine back issues to get familiar with silhouettes of different times. I'm no expert on shoes, but that's what I think anyways :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very cute, and Im no expert, but Id say maybe (only because of how fitted the skirt is). Is there a metal zipper (or zipper at all)? Is there serging in the inside? Whats it made of? What does the label look like?

LD

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lady Day, I shall take more detailed pictures and post them here. It has a metal zipper, and there is no machine serging inside, it is done neatly by hand, as far as I can see.

No label. I'm not sure about the fabric, maybe wool crepe? How do I tell?

Unfortunately it is damaged, I tried to repair it but it turned out bad... Such a shame. It had two moth holes right on the bum and now it has two patches, I took some fabric from the hem... But it is so visible, because it is right there on the back side. I think I need to do something completely different, maybe replace the entire piece of fabric in the back.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'd say it's 40s, but the real key is going to be the zipper PLACEMENT. If it's a side zipper, this dress is likely 40s or very early 50s, a back zipper and it's likely 50s.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I'd say it's 40s, but the real key is going to be the zipper PLACEMENT. If it's a side zipper, this dress is likely 40s or very early 50s, a back zipper and it's likely 50s.

It is a side zipper. I couldn't decide whether it was 40's or 50's either, so I shall take your word. I think it has a 40's feel to it but the silhouette was kinda 50's at the same time.

How come you can tell by the zipper, were back zippers very uncommon in the 40's? I would like to hear more about that if you can tell me. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
It is a side zipper. I couldn't decide whether it was 40's or 50's either, so I shall take your word. I think it has a 40's feel to it but the silhouette was kinda 50's at the same time.

How come you can tell by the zipper, were back zippers very uncommon in the 40's? I would like to hear more about that if you can tell me. :)

I have never seen a 40s dress with a back zipper. Side placement was the standard in the 40s (replacing the side button placket of the 30s) and into the early 50s, with the back zipper mostly replacing it after that. Side zippers were definitely still used throughout the 50s, and I have a couple of 50s wiggle dresses with side zippers, so a side zipper definitely doesn't rule out a 50s dress. If it has a back zipper, though, you can pretty much guarantee that it is not a 40s dress!

That said, I do have a couple of 40s dresses with front zippers. This was much more common for house dresses, though I have an evening dress with one as well.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I have never seen a 40s dress with a back zipper. Side placement was the standard in the 40s (replacing the side button placket of the 30s) and into the early 50s, with the back zipper mostly replacing it after that. Side zippers were definitely still used throughout the 50s, and I have a couple of 50s wiggle dresses with side zippers, so a side zipper definitely doesn't rule out a 50s dress. If it has a back zipper, though, you can pretty much guarantee that it is not a 40s dress!

That said, I do have a couple of 40s dresses with front zippers. This was much more common for house dresses, though I have an evening dress with one as well.

Oki, that's a good rule of thumb. Thanks Kitty. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou