Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Well, if they are sewn where they are, I don't think you can turn them back any more. Sorry, I'm new to this stuff and took the best shot I could think of! :) Hope you find out!

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
Questiong about a pair of MINT 1930's/40's Vintage ladies stockings - Beautiful!!!

Hi
I wanted to post these stockings on here for some information.
I am guessing these are from the 1930's maybe 40's. I had some Old socks with the original tags that had the exact same printing as my old socks. The socks were verified 100% from the 30's.

Can some of the ladies here let me know what you think?
I WISHED these were my wife's size as I would LOVE to see here wear these but these are too big for her. They are beautiful!
They are UNTOUCHED, mint, never worn, never tried on, the band was sealed inside, so the only time they were removed out of this package was when I took them out to take the photos of them. That was the best part. The pattern of the fabric is beautiful. They are so soft, delicate,and danty. THey have NO SEEM. That is what they really advertise. I know that Seemed stockings were rare if they didnt have the seem, as I have researched and most of the stockings had seems them. So these probably cost alot more back then as they were seemless. I am curious of how no one used these even during World War 2. I know that ladies stockings were rare back then due shortages of everything, that is why I am trying to figure out how these survived untouched.

Any information is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thank you!!!

100_5621.jpg

100_5622.jpg

100_5623.jpg

100_5625.jpg

100_5626.jpg

100_5635.jpg

100_5634.jpg

100_5624.jpg

Hi cmjordan,

Lovely stockings! Judging from both the stockings and especially the graphics on the box, those look to be from the 1950s. They appear to have had lanolin added to them as well! Lanolin was sometimes added to stockings to make them feel "silkier" and increase the sheen.

The off-white color might have contributed to them remaining unused, since it was not worn as frequently as skin tones or black. (Unless for spring/summer or perhaps a nurse or other light color uniform?)

Hope this helps. :)

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
I finally got around to taking pictures of this...

I bought this for $5 at the flea market earlier this summer. Measurements are 8x6 inches and 2 inches thick. So when do you think it was made? I love the tooling work on the leather. It does have a slight tobacco smell, how can I get rid of that?

handbag1.jpg

handbag2.jpg

handbag3.jpg

handbag4.jpg

handbag5.jpg

M

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
cmjordan77 said:
The socks were verified 100% from the 30's.

100_5621.jpg

Hi. They look like RHT (reinforced heel toe) stockings to me, knitted in a circular fashion there by forgoing the back seam from flat knit stocking from the 20s, 30s and 40s. How can you tell they are from the 30s, they seem to be 50s-60 to me because they are seamless. The mesh looks like a victory lace, popular in the 40s, but them being RHT makes me look again to late 50s 60s when it became fashionable not to have a seam.

Im sure some other ladies could weigh in, but I do think they are later.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The earliest RHT nylons I've seen advertised were from the early forties, just before the war, but they weren't popular and weren't produced for long before the war put a halt to all production of nylon hosiery, so if these do date that early, I'd think they'd be quite rare. As LD says, RHTs didn't catch on until quite a bit later.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Graphics on that stocking box definitely saying 50s to me. Images of Ballerinas were super popular then and also the fact they are 100% Dupont nylon would say Post War.

Nylon wasn't widely used for stockings till after WW2. Too busy being used for the war effort.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
please help date this outfit..

and also tell me what it is! Im not sure if its a night outfit or petticoat and top or what!!
Its about size 8-10 NZ womens size, made of cotton and its not got any labels. they were pinned together so i assume they are a set - but not positive.
I found them in a box at an auction with some other clothes -including a 1940 jacket that I am going to brag about in another thread!
Thanks guys
1412034.jpg

1412035.jpg

th_1412036.jpg

1412037.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi!
I clicked on your links and they were bigger there. It looks like what you have is a 1910s camisole and petticoat. It looks like possible there is a place at the waist to put in a drawstring at the bottom of the bodice? Probably homemade, with homemade crocheted lace as well. Cute!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Femme Fatale Dress

I have my own vague ideas, but I need your sharp minds. When do you think it's from?
fatale3.jpg

fatale2.jpg

fatale1.jpg

I don't have any more pictures, but here's a description:
It has a side metal zipper. The tiny zipper handle design is three tiny balls ending with a large ball (ofcourse, it could have been replaced).
There are no tags, it seems to be hand sewn (especially at the neckline, big zig zag by hand, not even). The entire dress is lined (I don't know what fabric it is, but it's lovely, definately not polyester) and covered in black lace with embroidered dots in gold thread. There is a frill at the skirt hem.
It has a sweetheart neckline. There are shoulder pads (that aren't the modern foam I'm accustomed to) sewn in by hand. The sleeves are gathered on top of the shoulders , and end in a lovely upside-down V.
Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo