Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

jemjefferson

New in Town
someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I have noticed about 40's dresses is that most of them were cut with those zig-zag scissors (the exact name of those scissors esapes me at this moment). Without the union tag, I can usually date by style, material and how the material is cut. So I would place that dress in the 40's.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The name you're looking for is Pinking Shears. Still used alot in the 50s, I've found.

I'd say late 40s, early 50s on that dress. And agreed, there is *nothing* better than finding a gem amongst all the dross at the Charity shop!

DandyRags

New in Town
40's Dress

Thanks to all for the help. I thought the dress was 40's but don't like to guess when listing something for auction. The pinking shears tip was also a help for me. I actually have a pair that cuts in scallops....very cute. Bought them over 30 years ago when I was still doing a bit of sewing. Now they reside in my button drawer. Off to the thrift store this morning before the onslaught of wind and rain that is coming later today. Sunny California is not always so sunny :D

Louise Anne

Suspended
jemjefferson said:
someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I have noticed about 40's dresses is that most of them were cut with those zig-zag scissors (the exact name of those scissors esapes me at this moment).

My Mum had a pair of Pinking Shears I can remember playing with them in the mid 60's (pre school) as they did not have a point on the end I expect she thought they were safer for me even if a little to big to handel ( she was a Professional seamstress ( soft furnishings ) and I watch as make a lot of stuff over the years and cannot really remember her using the Pinking Shears then on too much so that style of cut might have been going out of date then.
It could be right as one clue to a dress age.y

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Folks still use pinking shears but I think by the early 60s most clothing sold in stores was serged. I could be wrong on that, though- I guess it depends on each company and their preference [huh]

DandyRags

New in Town
Smuterella said:
A Gigi Young? Wonderful!

According to the Vintage Fashion Guild the Gigi Young label ran from 50's - 60's and was a sister label to Suzy Perette.

http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/...section,6/cat,59/task,view/id,500/Itemid,100/

I found the same info, the VFG is a great resource for research. Between VFG and Fedora I have learned a great deal in a short time. I love the 20's to 50's style but that seems to be more elusive than the 60's clothing. The search goes on......Thanks Ladies!

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Can you help me date these heels?

They're labeled as 70s and I wonder if it's a mistake? I get a late 50's vibe from them. What do you ladies think? Thanks in advance!

il_fullxfull112645252.jpg
il_fullxfull87508453.jpg
il_fullxfull87508524.jpg
il_fullxfull87508593.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
Folks still use pinking shears but I think by the early 60s most clothing sold in stores was serged. I could be wrong on that, though- I guess it depends on each company and their preference [huh]

More like the early 70s, I remember being amazed at it when it came out.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Would somebody please help me date this coat?

The lable says:

Ladies Garment
New Yorkers Union
National Recovery Board
Coat and Suit Industry
AFL CIO
and something else I have trouble reading

23SkidooWithYou has an identical coat, but I don't knnow what the lable on hers says.

cuddlecoatfront.jpg

cuddlecoatback.jpg

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
They could be 70's heels, but if you dress right, you could get away with a 50's look. More modern clothing eras were inspired by the past too. If you wore those shoes with a sheath dress or circle skirt, I would guess 50's.....and if you wore those shoes with a jersey wrap dress and lots of tacky gold jewellry, I'd guess 70's :D

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Cuddle coat mystery solved!

1955-1963
abff_2.JPG

This label was issued after AFL and CIO merged in 1955, and lasted until June 28, 1963. It is usually printed in blue on white, and features a scalloped circle with a threaded needle diagonally behind it. In the center are the large letters ILGWU, crossed with a smaller AFL-CIO. Around the edge is printed Int'l Ladies Garment Workers Union.

found here: http://reviews.ebay.com/Clothing-Labels-Union-Labels-ILGWU-Labels_W0QQugidZ10000000003230636

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Finally picked up a few things

I went to my local thrift store and I picked up a few things that felt vintage. I was going for 50s - 60s. Here are few things, let me know what era you think these are from.
Two pairs of Naturalizers. The word Naturalizer is written in cursive, so I think they are pre-70. There is writting on the inside of the heel, which was mentioned earlier. Is that something to look for? What does it mean?
DSC03116.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

Sorry the pics are so big but at least a get a good shot of them. I picked up several other items and accessories (including some silver tiki cuff links!) but I don't want to overload with pics.

SayCici

Practically Family
Does anyone have any advice on dating crochet or knit items? I bought two crocheted dresses for $10 (marked down from $20 each!) and I'm not as comfortable with dating them as I am with sewn dresses, it's so much easier to tell what the fiber content is. I will post pictures soon, but one is coral colored, the styling and length is very 30s, and on the side it has a hook and snap for closure. I'm sure if I found out the yarn was acrylic or something that would obviously place it much later!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
saycici, i can't believe you found vintage crochet for 10 dollars! i'm dying with envy and haven't even seen it yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21