Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Black 40's pinafore?

Hi ladies,

Recently I bought a dress on eBay, I love it, but it strikes me as kind of strange: it's a black (supposedly) 40's pinafore.

I love black, cotton and dresses that are sculptural so I had to have it, but I have doubts as to whether it's authentic vintage. Have any of you ever seen black house dresses from the 40's? It strikes me as odd, normally they are cheerfully colored or with fun prints. Could it have been dyed? It doesn't seem dyed to me, or if it is, then it's professionally done since the color is completely uniform and saturated/deep (it looks kind of grayish on the photos but it's not).

Regardless of what, I think it's a great dress for me, but I'm super curious. :) Also, I want to leave proper feedback so if the dress isn't authentic or if it has been dyed, I want to put that in my feedback. The seller listed it as: NOS Gorgeous Vtg 30s 40s RUFFLED Pinafore Sun Dress! XL

268638195_o.jpg

268638214_o.jpg

268638376_o.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I'm thinking it's most likely a maid's uniform, which would have been a black cotton dress worn with a white pinny apron. If it were dyed, I'd expect the tag would have also been dyed, which it clearly isn't.

I thought that too. Imagine it with a long sleeved white blouse and a little white apron.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
That makes a lot of sense and explains why it's black! I just didn't think that maids would wear such frilly pinafores. :) If anyone has photos of anything like this, please do share.

I also have to add that it's not open in the sides like an apron but closed like a full dress (which I intend wear it as).

SayCici

Practically Family
Hats! Only one has a tag (the first) which reads "Original Caroline". I googled that and got pictures of hats claiming to be from the 40s-60s.

tanhat2.jpg

bluehat2.jpg

beadhat2.jpg

beadhat.jpg

This one's like a beret, you can see on the right side of this photo where the flat ridge-y part is, like the side that sticks up?

Marla

A-List Customer
I think your hats look very fifties. I really like the little blue one with the bow! Great finds!

Tulip

New in Town
Alper%20Schwartz%20Suit.jpg

I purchased this suit recently, and I suspect it is from the 1950s, although it was listed as 1930s-40s. The label reads Alper Schwartz. It's a velvet suit with a taffeta bow and taffeta loops with glass buttons. The skirt has a side metal zip and the jacket has sweat absorbers.

I'd love to know when it was made, but either way it's a beautiful suit and I plan to wear the heck out of it!

Tulip

New in Town
Thank you very much!

Has anybody got any information on Alper-Schwartz? It would be nice to know when they were in production - Google hasn't been much of a help so far.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Loving the french maid dress, Laura!
And your new dress is an absolute gem, Tulip!!! Wow. :D

I have a 30s dresser and need a mirror to hang above it to use when I do my makeup and hair.
I found this on a craiglist-type site here. It's only 23 bucks.

I know these kinds of mirrors have been done and redone a lot, but does anyone have an idea when it could be from??

%5C67298599_09072010190213_3297_3.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
Cannot tell much from that photo. Is it wood or plastic? Look at the back as it should tell you more. If it is not yours maybe the seller can answer these for you or send you a photo of back. Sandy

D

Deleted member 12480

hello everyone. :) I have two things,

firstly, this lipstick case, with a very dark lipstick still inside (although it is much redder when tested out on paper/skin)

We were thinking 40s due to the tiny size?

DSCF2438.jpg

DSCF2439.jpg

Then there is this brush. The bristles are almost certainly plastic, so i know it can't be particularly old, but your thoughts please?

DSCF2440.jpg

DSCF2441.jpg

DSCF2442.jpg

xxxx

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tinseltown said:
Loving the french maid dress, Laura!
And your new dress is an absolute gem, Tulip!!! Wow. :D

I have a 30s dresser and need a mirror to hang above it to use when I do my makeup and hair.
I found this on a craiglist-type site here. It's only 23 bucks.

I know these kinds of mirrors have been done and redone a lot, but does anyone have an idea when it could be from??

%5C67298599_09072010190213_3297_3.jpg

This is a modern mirror, reproduction style, most likely made out of (pressed, cheap) wood.

I'd say 1980's, perhaps earlier.

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
Vintage Betty said:
This is a modern mirror, reproduction style, most likely made out of (pressed, cheap) wood.

I'd say 1980's, perhaps earlier.

1970ies or very early 80ies, could possible be older (late 60ies) but pretty sure more like the 70ies. Made of plastic like material or that dense painted cordboard/presswood stuff. Parents had an identical one and can remember it in the house as far back as I can remember. She may possibly still have it.

D

Deleted member 12480

Is THIS Forties?

Excuse me if there is already such a thread, or one that It could be merged with, but having a very naive and untrained vintage eye, I was hoping we could post pictures of things that you've never come across, or that you *think* are Forties/Fifties/etc, but would like confirmation from the more knowledgeable gals, or just learn a little bit more about what we've found/bought.

For instance:

051710NvyWhtSwtrSet_02.jpg

Its a sweater-suit?

I just want to learn!

D

Deleted member 12480

i don't think it was. Its pretty, and I can't afford it.... i was just interested, thankyou for your help. I hope other people feel the urge to 'know' as much as i do otherwise this will be a very lonely thread!

xxx

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have several 50's knitting books and I think it's 50's. The high backed collar, 3/4 sleeve and dolman sleeve are all common in my 50's knitting books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto