Can you help me date this item??

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by BonnieJean, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Laura Chase

Laura Chase One Too Many

Black 40's pinafore?

Hi ladies,

Recently I bought a dress on eBay, I love it, but it strikes me as kind of strange: it's a black (supposedly) 40's pinafore.

I love black, cotton and dresses that are sculptural so I had to have it, but I have doubts as to whether it's authentic vintage. Have any of you ever seen black house dresses from the 40's? It strikes me as odd, normally they are cheerfully colored or with fun prints. Could it have been dyed? It doesn't seem dyed to me, or if it is, then it's professionally done since the color is completely uniform and saturated/deep (it looks kind of grayish on the photos but it's not).

Regardless of what, I think it's a great dress for me, but I'm super curious. :) Also, I want to leave proper feedback so if the dress isn't authentic or if it has been dyed, I want to put that in my feedback. The seller listed it as: NOS Gorgeous Vtg 30s 40s RUFFLED Pinafore Sun Dress! XL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I'm thinking it's most likely a maid's uniform, which would have been a black cotton dress worn with a white pinny apron. If it were dyed, I'd expect the tag would have also been dyed, which it clearly isn't.

3. crwritt

crwritt One Too Many

I thought that too. Imagine it with a long sleeved white blouse and a little white apron.

4. Second the theory that it's a maid's uniform, or something similar. It certainly doesn't *look* dyed. Whatever it is, it's cute! :)

5. Laura Chase

Laura Chase One Too Many

That makes a lot of sense and explains why it's black! I just didn't think that maids would wear such frilly pinafores. :) If anyone has photos of anything like this, please do share.

I also have to add that it's not open in the sides like an apron but closed like a full dress (which I intend wear it as).

6. SayCici

SayCici Practically Family

Hats! Only one has a tag (the first) which reads "Original Caroline". I googled that and got pictures of hats claiming to be from the 40s-60s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one's like a beret, you can see on the right side of this photo where the flat ridge-y part is, like the side that sticks up?

7. Marla

Marla A-List Customer

I think your hats look very fifties. I really like the little blue one with the bow! Great finds!

8. Tulip

Tulip New in Town

[​IMG]

I purchased this suit recently, and I suspect it is from the 1950s, although it was listed as 1930s-40s. The label reads Alper Schwartz. It's a velvet suit with a taffeta bow and taffeta loops with glass buttons. The skirt has a side metal zip and the jacket has sweat absorbers.

I'd love to know when it was made, but either way it's a beautiful suit and I plan to wear the heck out of it!

9. swinggal

swinggal One Too Many

10. Tulip

Tulip New in Town

Thank you very much!

Has anybody got any information on Alper-Schwartz? It would be nice to know when they were in production - Google hasn't been much of a help so far.

11. Tinseltown

Tinseltown A-List Customer

Loving the french maid dress, Laura!
    And your new dress is an absolute gem, Tulip!!! Wow. :D

I have a 30s dresser and need a mirror to hang above it to use when I do my makeup and hair.
    I found this on a craiglist-type site here. It's only 23 bucks.

I know these kinds of mirrors have been done and redone a lot, but does anyone have an idea when it could be from??

[​IMG]

12. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

Cannot tell much from that photo. Is it wood or plastic? Look at the back as it should tell you more. If it is not yours maybe the seller can answer these for you or send you a photo of back. Sandy

13. AnniePancake

AnniePancake Practically Family

hello everyone. :) I have two things,

firstly, this lipstick case, with a very dark lipstick still inside (although it is much redder when tested out on paper/skin)

We were thinking 40s due to the tiny size?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there is this brush. The bristles are almost certainly plastic, so i know it can't be particularly old, but your thoughts please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xxxx

14. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is a modern mirror, reproduction style, most likely made out of (pressed, cheap) wood.

I'd say 1980's, perhaps earlier.

15. RainEdayWoman

RainEdayWoman Familiar Face

1970ies or very early 80ies, could possible be older (late 60ies) but pretty sure more like the 70ies. Made of plastic like material or that dense painted cordboard/presswood stuff. Parents had an identical one and can remember it in the house as far back as I can remember. She may possibly still have it.

16. AnniePancake

Is THIS Forties?

Excuse me if there is already such a thread, or one that It could be merged with, but having a very naive and untrained vintage eye, I was hoping we could post pictures of things that you've never come across, or that you *think* are Forties/Fifties/etc, but would like confirmation from the more knowledgeable gals, or just learn a little bit more about what we've found/bought.

For instance:

[​IMG]

Its a sweater-suit?

I just want to learn!

17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Might even be late thirties -- sweater-suits were very popular around 1936-37 or so.

Is the skirt pleated? That would suggest fifties more than thirties or forties.

18. AnniePancake

i don't think it was. Its pretty, and I can't afford it.... i was just interested, thankyou for your help. I hope other people feel the urge to 'know' as much as i do otherwise this will be a very lonely thread!

xxx

19. Sincerely-Dee

Sincerely-Dee One of the Regulars

I was thinking it was more 30s than 40s.

20. kamikat

kamikat Call Me a Cab

I have several 50's knitting books and I think it's 50's. The high backed collar, 3/4 sleeve and dolman sleeve are all common in my 50's knitting books.