Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hello ladies, i was wondering if you could please help me date a cape i was recently given with a bag of fur collars as i don't have the first idea. I'm so sorry i don't have any photos, but my Mac is on the blink (again). I'll try as best i can to describe it for you:

It's black astrakhan, unlined, it ties round the neck with two thin ties of astrakhan, it has two large front pockets and the whole of the bottom of the cape is covered with black fringing about six inches in length. There are no labels or fastenings for the cape other than the ties at the top and one large black hook and eye fastening near the top. I also got a selection of artic fox collars and a forties fox tippet in the bag, so i thought perhaps it would be around that kind of era? Thanks, and thank you for all the other info on dating items it's really been invaluable! x

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Sounds delicious! And late 40s/ early 50s to me.
Thanks for the advice Puzzicato! Yes it's beautiful, an elderly guy i used to work with gave me the cape and collars after his wife died, which was really sweet of him, so i couldn't part with it. He said she was the most beautiful woman he had every met, until the day she died. I was practically weeping into the bag when he gave it to me. No pressure on me to keep the torch burning! Thanks again!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
Thanks for the advice Puzzicato! Yes it's beautiful, an elderly guy i used to work with gave me the cape and collars after his wife died, which was really sweet of him, so i couldn't part with it. He said she was the most beautiful woman he had every met, until the day she died. I was practically weeping into the bag when he gave it to me. No pressure on me to keep the torch burning! Thanks again!

What a lovely story! It makes them so precious.

Other people with more knowledge may be able to advise better, but I have seen a lot of pictures of short astrakhan capes being worn at that time, hence my suggestion.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree, as i said i would never part with it, i just need to find a really great dress to wear with it now to do it proud! Thanks for the advice again, much appreciated, i'm still finding my feet with dating items so any advice is gratefully received x

lareine

A-List Customer
I was in a little junk store today and picked up this handbag because I thought it was pretty. I've got no idea how old it is, though -- anybody care to hazard a guess? The junk store carries a real mixture of modern, vintage, and antique bits and pieces. For all I know the bag was made in 2006 and the label hasn't aged well lol
brownbag.jpg

I'm sure it's leather, and the label inside reads, "Clarissa, Jack D. Phillips Ltd., Wellington."
brownbaginside.jpg

It's a lovely bag, regardless of its birthdate. However old it is, I'll carry it with pride.

lareine

A-List Customer
Yes, I also googled and saw that the company is still around, although I'm not sure if they manufacture or just import. These days it's most likely the latter [huh]

The "everyday bags" thread here inspired me to upgrade my rather shabby bag collection, so I'm very happy now to have a nice leather handbag to carry around.

D

Deleted member 12480

right, is a pill box hat a forties thing?

on ebay.uk most of the hat-results are pill boxes listed as '40s pill box hat' and that kind of thing, but i was always under the impression the pill box hat was a 60s thing?

Confused!
xx

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Annie, you're right, at the earliest pillbox hats are a late 50s, early 60s look. Late 40s (New Look) hats I would not describe as pillboxes, more like Juliet caps.

You can't trust people's descriptions on Ebay. Many don't know what they're talking about and just write any old thing. You have to get to know your subject matter to weed out the wheat from the chaff!

swinggal

One Too Many
Pillbox hats have been around since medi-evil times. Typically is a small cap with sides that are straight up and down with no brim. It also has a history of being worn in the military. Jackie Kennedy really made it a 60s icon. When I hear 'pillbox hat' I immediately think late 50s, early 60s.

When I think of a generic style of '40's' hat I think of tilt hats, ladies cocked fedoras, juliet caps etc.

Good vintage sellers will get the description right but so many sellers have no idea. I've seen Juliet caps being sold as '20s Cloches'. A cloche hat is so distinctive!! The amount of things that come up listed as 'Art Deco' also and they are so far from it! Really annoying when you spend a lot of time in ebay like myself and many FL ladies do.

Call me a meanie but I will actually email some sellers to tell them their dating of an item is incorrect. Shoes especially are dated wrong all the time. I think many sellers are just trying to cash in on people who don't have the knowledge we do about vintage items, making things seem older than they are to make it seem more valuable. I don't like seeing people who may not know getting ripped off. 60's shoes are constantly listed as 40s. Arrrg!

D

Deleted member 12480

Ah, thankyou for the confirmation!

What about these?

BznEUKB2kKGrHqVjcEw5BD8Y8PBMWdlmsgQ_3.jpg

xxx

Puzzicato

One Too Many
A while back I decided that I was desperate for an enamel belt-buckle. I bought this one:
buckle.jpg
buckle2.jpg
- now the seller said it was Art Deco. Which it clearly is not. I think it looks like 1970s does Art Nouveau. Any thoughts from anyone?

And part B, how the heck do you use it as a belt buckle!?

crwritt

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
A while back I decided that I was desperate for an enamel belt-buckle. I bought this one:
buckle.jpg
buckle2.jpg
- now the seller said it was Art Deco. Which it clearly is not. I think it looks like 1970s does Art Nouveau. Any thoughts from anyone?

And part B, how the heck do you use it as a belt buckle!?

It does look like 70's or 80's to me, but it is pretty. To use it as a buckle, it looks like you could use it to decorate the front of a belt, slip the belt through it and then buckle the belt at your back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points