Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

D

Deleted member 12480

thanks kamikat! Although i imagine it'd look terrible on me... ;)

xxx

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Excellent idea for a thread, deleteduser! As someone also relatively new to vintage sometimes I get a bit confused with the finer points of fashion by era...hope this becomes a sticky!

Oh, and I want that outfit, too :D .

D

Deleted member 12480

Lady Day, I was worried that I would be posting too often and would clog it up/annoy people :/

xxx

Smuterella

One Too Many
Don't be daft - you are a breath of fresh air sweetheart and we ALL love looking at things and giving our opinion. :)

D

Deleted member 12480

okay. Well in that case - the last thing posted in this thread before you merged are two things I need some help on :)

deleteduser said:
hello everyone. :) I have two things,

firstly, this lipstick case, with a very dark lipstick still inside (although it is much redder when tested out on paper/skin)

We were thinking 40s due to the tiny size?

DSCF2438.jpg

DSCF2439.jpg

Then there is this brush. The bristles are almost certainly plastic, so i know it can't be particularly old, but your thoughts please?

DSCF2440.jpg

DSCF2441.jpg

DSCF2442.jpg

xxxx

any idea?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, as far as the brush goes, artificial bristles were a wartime innovation, so it could certainly be out of that era or not long after. The design looks thirties-ish, though -- possibly the brush part was replaced at some time after the original bristles wore out?

D

Deleted member 12480

Mm the design was my first thought. It'd be nice to think it is that old. The back design has a thin clear plastic coating - does this change anything?

Oh, and the wooden 'block' that the bristles are set in is slightly loose - could this be an indicator?

xxx

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Transparent celluloid was commonly used for such things in the thirties and even earlier. The more I look, the more I'm thinking the first half of the thirties because of the ornateness of the handle.

The loose bristle block might indicate it had been replaced at some point -- hard to say for sure, though. Sometimes the handle will simply loosen with age and the head won't be attached as tightly as when the item was new. I have a similar sort of hand mirror that's constantly having to be re-tightened.

D

Deleted member 12480

oh, its not the whole head that's loose, its just the wood that slides around the metal 'frame' a bit?

xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

and thankyou for the reassurance Lady Day.

(p.s. When we have a quiz in my music lesson my teacher always puts in the question what was Billie Holiday's Nickname/what have you 'cause she knows i love her. Funny, it always makes me think of you, on here!! Haha.)

xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot