Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

SayCici

Practically Family
coral.jpg

coral2.jpg

I forgot to get a full view, it has a flared hem.

stripe2.jpg

stripe3.jpg

stripe.jpg

For reference, the hem of each falls around the thickest part of my calf, so they're a couple inches below the knee. I also did a burn test but I mostly just got a headache. I asked the owner of the shop if she knew anything about them and she just said that they belonged to the mother of the person who brought them in. They each have matching scarves/tie belts which are pictured.

Thanks, guys!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
They both look 30's to me.

I have a dress sewing pattern from about 1930 that has the same kind of sleeves as the coral one, so it may even be early 30's, but I really couldn't pin them down further at the moment.

SayCici

Practically Family
Thanks Tourbillon! That's what I'm thinking/hoping, but the sleeve style of the black and cream dress and the fact that I know nothing about yarn was throwing me for a loop.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Gorgeous dresses!!! They definitely have the 30s cut. But the yarn is throwing me off. Maybe made later using a 30s pattern? Not sure I bet Lauren or Miss Sis might have a better idea. Maybe compare to this one

SayCici

Practically Family
Yeah TexasGirl, I know what you mean! The chunkiness of the yarn and the somewhat simple stitch don't help in dating.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I´ve searched the Forum to find a matching place for my request... so I hope it fits here.

I have some yards of finest woven (vintage) fabric and would like to ask you if you can help me to find out something about it.

l_a0ebabc6c61d489ab7cbc0c3a339c5d9.jpg

From what I can read it says:

--- UNK BY F. (P.?) FARR & CO LTD LONDON ----- LAND

I appreciate any kind of thoughts.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Cici, the peach one is screaming 30s to me with it's sleeves and lace up front but I'm thrown by the black and white one. The shape isn't saying 30s to me and the yarn looks a bit thicker? The style if anything looks earlier?

Hmmmm, very hard to say, but at $10 each, has to be a bargain! I just *love* the peach - it's so sweet! :)

Frankly Scarlet

New in Town
Buenos días.
I bought this dress on ebay like 6 months ago. At first I was unsure if it was 40's or what because I could not find any picture or draw of long casual dresses in the 40's. But the zip and. the pattern and the fabric tell me it's actually from then. What do you think?
(I could not find any other place to hang the dress from, I have sliding doors)
vestido001_800x1202.jpg

vestido004_800x533.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Frankly Scarlet, yes, it is a late 30s or 40s house/casual dress - a bit dressier than a dressing gown, not as restrictive as an actual dress.

Zips started to be used alot in these in America in the late 30s into the 40s and they do turn up quite often, so they must have been very popular.

crwritt

One Too Many
31053_1124012677548_1744062716_229703_8292947_n.jpg
31053_1124012797551_1744062716_229704_1688386_n.jpg

31053_1124012837552_1744062716_229705_7187718_n.jpg

These belonged to my mother in law. Any guess as to what age? I'm thinking 40's-50's.
The gold ones fit me but are not as comfortable as Remix reproductions. The wedge takes a hard curve
at the wrong part of my foot.

Foofoogal

Banned
SayCici:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eek:

how in the world did I miss these earlier. Devine, devine. They both are astonishing. The black and white one screams for long jet black flapper beads. Black and white ones even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner