Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thank you ladies! I thought it was 40s too. I found it at a fleamarket a long time ago and fell in love with it. Alas, the bust is perfect for me but the waist is tiny. I'm parting with it on tradera (swedish e-bay). I hope it finds a good home!

epr25

Practically Family
Ok I have 2 things that I need help with. Sorry for the long post but i wanted to add many photos so the info is there.

1st blue velvet outfit found at Goodwill if you can possibly believe that!
I am thinking 30's?

blue1.jpg
[/IMG]

blue3.jpg
[/IMG]
blue4.jpg
[/IMG]

blue6.jpg
[/IMG]
blue7.jpg
[/IMG]

The 2nd thing is the fabulous Lilly Ann coat. I was thinking 40's not sure though. I also wanted to ask about the minor repairs that this needs. Should I have these done or just let the buyer do that?
caot1.jpg
[/IMG]
coat5.jpg
[/IMG]
coat4.jpg
[/IMG]
coat3.jpg
[/IMG]
coat2.jpg
[/IMG]

maisie

Practically Family
Wow! That blue velvet number is a fantastic find! Especially to still have the matching coat with it!
Yep, I would definitely say that was 1930s, maybe mid 30's.

The coat is gorgeous too! I would say that was late 40's early 50's, due to the nipped in waist and flared skirt.
Maybe leave the reapirs to the buyer, all it would need was a few stiches to secure the bead work :) .

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The blue velvet outfit is definitely 30s - I'd say about 1934/35 from the very low back and swing style coat combination.

Amazing that you found it at Goodwill! It looks to be in fantastic condition, too. If blue was my colour, I'd be begging you to sell it to me. :)

Foofoogal

Banned
I love blue velvet. Definitely 1930s. I have one similar to your dress but no coat and definitely did not find it at Goodwill. What a find. :eusa_clap
I love Lilli Ann label and your Princess coat is so cute.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
This dress is glued to me, I love it!!!! I think it's 30's but I'd like everyones opinion, no labels or anything

13931_212667881068_502411068_3000136_429544_n.jpg

it's a two piece, navy blue and cream, the print on it is sort of a taj mahal type print

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OMG!!!!!!

epr25 said:
Ok I have 2 things that I need help with. Sorry for the long post but i wanted to add many photos so the info is there.

1st blue velvet outfit found at Goodwill if you can possibly believe that!
I am thinking 30's?

blue1.jpg
[/IMG]

blue3.jpg
[/IMG]
blue4.jpg
[/IMG]

blue6.jpg
[/IMG]
blue7.jpg
[/IMG]

The 2nd thing is the fabulous Lilly Ann coat. I was thinking 40's not sure though. I also wanted to ask about the minor repairs that this needs. Should I have these done or just let the buyer do that?
caot1.jpg
[/IMG]
coat5.jpg
[/IMG]
coat4.jpg
[/IMG]
coat3.jpg
[/IMG]
coat2.jpg
[/IMG]

The blue velvet is about 1930 to 1933. If you put it on Ebay it would probably sell for $300 easily, very rare to have both pieces and the belt!!! If it is your size, hang onto it. If not, you have a gold mine.

The Lilli Ann coat is probably late 40s and also a VERY valuable piece - the flared skirt, the nubby wool, the embroidery - a collector may go as high as $500 or more for this.

Where did you say this thrift store was? Can we do a field trip?

Miss_Bella_Hell

Some antiques

Not sure if this is the right thread for this. My parents are looking to sell some antique furniture pieces, but don't know anything about them, other than they got them 30 years ago and may be 100+ years old. I offered to put them up on this site to see if anyone might know anything about value. They both have cosmetic condition issues but are structurally sound. I'd be interested in the value as-is and if perfect. Here goes:

Hall Stand
P1000092.JPG
P1000093.JPG

P1000094.JPG
P1000097.JPG

(the last is the matching mirror that should be hung where the mirror in the first pic is)

Secretary
P1000095.JPG
P1000096.JPG

Thanks!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm going to take a stab, but I well may be off! Don't know about values, but the hall stand looks 1910s to 1920s to me, and the other 1890s to turn of the century- but maybe the glass was replaced later?
I know that's absolutely no help at all, but hopefully it's somewhat close. [huh] Best of luck!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Just a thought have you found a makers or shop label/ ? it might not be there if it had one if it did then the added provenance will add to the value greatly,
Ff there is one it could be any where, one the back , inside the drawers, in the carcase anywhere.
Do not worry to much about "cosmetic condition issues" it's old and been used every day that to be expected and a expert will know what can be fixed and what's best left along which is normally the best thing to do.,
apart from those issues are the best way of proving it's genuinely old.

Take photos to several dealers not all local to you, as markets can vary in different areas.
In the UK sometimes the best market today is the home interior decorators who need who need items for a particulate project and have a better budget than Antique Dealers who may just take a punt and put it into stock pay you a low price.

I would be a guess if I was to try and give you a value sorry research always pays! as I only on the very edge of the antique furniture business apart for market so different with you.
Good luck!

Miss 1929

And whatever you do, don't refinish it before you get it appraised! You always see stuff on Antiques Roadshow where they are saying "Well, if it had its original finish it would be worth $20,000 but because the varnish was stripped, it is only worth $50." Amazing what the dirt of the ages can do to the value of furniture!

Miss_Bella_Hell

I know ALL about the refinishing thing! Thank goodness for antiques roadshow teaching us THAT little lesson, right? ;) I'll pass the info along to the parents...

DandyRags

New in Town
Help Please

I found this lovely dress at my local thrift store, not in the small vintage area but with the current?? dresses. The fabric is a dark toast brown and has a soft sheen like rayon, the bottom pleated skirt has a black stiff net underskirt. The bodice has a fabric liner. I can find no problems with this dress, no stains, spots or wear except one side of the hook and eye at waist needs to be replaced. I'm new into vintage but I love this dress, awesome with peep toe 2 tone shoes. Can someone help me date this dress, I hate to keep listing things as "vintage" because I can't define a better time frame. I found a few GiGi Originals on ebay but none close to this style, they were all from the 50's with full skirts. Thanks to all for your help. Diane ;)

gigi1.jpg

gigi2.jpg

DandyRags

New in Town
CherryBubbles said:
What a lovely dress! And a great find - exactly why it pays to look on all the racks whilst thrifting ;)

I cover every inch of the thrift store when I go shopping. It takes me hours but what fun and I've found some beautiful vintage pieces in the regular stuff. A black velvet Victorian turn of the century cape cloak in beautiful condition stuffed in with the current trendy coats! for a whopping 6.00, I love it when I stumble across vintage pieces like this. Makes all those hours worthwhile.
I sold the cape to a girl in England who was going to add sequins and beads and glitzy things to it aacccckkkkkkkkkk. Why or why.......:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo