Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
The tag looks 1960's or 1970's me to me, but could maybe be more likely from the from the 1970's because of the style and the length of the stress. Not sure how long it is.

Oh yes, and certainly don't dismiss the items from the 1970's. My vintage collection runs from the Victorian era-1970's, and I love each and every piece. Some of my cutest dresses are little polyester floral sundresses from the seventies.They wear well, they are cute and are great for summer.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Just looking at it without reading any of the posts i immediately thought late 60's....the lace design is very typical of the period. You could change it and make it into a cute little top...or save it for when you get pregnant (if you are ever planning to be):rolleyes:

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Cheesecakecutie said:
Just looking at it without reading any of the posts i immediately thought late 60's....the lace design is very typical of the period. You could change it and make it into a cute little top...or save it for when you get pregnant (if you are ever planning to be):rolleyes:

i have been there, done that hehehehe. well i plan to have more, but I dont know, i am too short for this dress, and I would not want to alter it, I guess i can throw it up on ebay, and see what I can do there...
or something who knows.
[huh]

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New dress to date

This dress looks very accurate 40s to me, label, style, matching belt that looks just like my 40's-50's ones etc. BUT! It has an elastic waist that is nice and stretchy (and could have been added later), the dress is almost PERFECT except one button is detached. I don't know what to look for regarding stitching. I am just trying to figure out if it's a modern copy with a vintage tag sewn into it, or if it's the real deal. It SEEMS real, but the elastic waist is throwing me off. (Also, the bust ended up being way too big but I'll just have it tailored.)

Ask if you'd like more pics to help you determine.

mlb1.jpg

mlb2.jpg

mlb3.jpg

mlb11.jpg

mlb10.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

Kimberly said:
According to the VFG it looks like a 50's label.

I asked a similar question on the vintage board on eBay and they told me that elastic was being used as early as the 30's. It looks vintage to me and it is really pretty.

VFG Site
http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/component/option,com_alphacontent/section,6/cat,59/task,view/id,108/Itemid,100/

Ah! 50's label. I know that elastic has been used for a long time, but this feels like, new and springy and not tending to crack like the old stuff they used to use. Maybe I just got lucky.

Kimberly

Practically Family
I think you just lucked out with that in the condition it's in. Have fun wearing it over the summer and enjoy!

Since we are on the topic of dating things, does anyone have any ideas on this ribbon suit. Obviously I will need a full spip for it as it's not lined. :eek:

It has a side metal zipper too.

BrownRibbonSuit.jpg

towncountrylabel.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
help me date these dresses!

Hello there fantastic FL ladies... I have some dresses I'm having a hard time dating. Both were bought from nice vintage shops, both labelled 1950s. However, in an attempt to get an opinion about wearing a small petticoat under the blue one, I had my mother take a look and she suggested that it's 1940s. The ample fabric at the front led me to believe that it was 50s... however, it does have a metal side zipper.

This blue dress has no tag, very small shoulder pads and the skirt is 27" long. The fabric is a linen-type weave but I really have no idea of the content. The buttons on the front are clear plastic/lucite with large rhinestones in the middle.

Maybe late 40s, early 50s?

p.s. please forgive my un-made-up, uncoiffed self.

dress1-2.jpg

dress1-3.jpg

dress1-4.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
the pink dress

Metal side zipper, front pockets. No shoulder pads. No picture of the tag unfortunately. The appliques on the front are decorated with (what used to be silver) beads and rhinestones. The silver coating has worn from the inside of most of the seed beads. Skirt is around 27", though I haven't measured it.

dress2-1.jpg

dress2-2.jpg

dress2-3.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Both dresses are gorgeous!

The blue one (in my humble opinion) has waaaaay too much fabric to be 40s. So my guess is 50s.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Bella, I know research on the label says 50's, but the styling says 40's to me. It is possible that the elastic was replaced. Or maybe due to very good storage and it never being worn, it stayed in pristine condition.

Kimberly, I have a suit very similar to that one. The seller I bought it from really knows his stuff, and he dated it in the 40's. Being that your suit is almost exactly identical, I'd say it's from the 40's as well. I love the tag and that it is from a dress shoppe in Wellesley. Wellesley's a well to do area, no cheap dress shoppes there, so you know you've probably go a very well made, higher end suit.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks for the info and reconfirmation Daisy. Yes I love getting clothes from the various clothing designers in Massachusetts. I like to picture what the stores were like, who shopped there, etc. Wellesley is a gorgeous part of the state and I was so happy when I saw where it came from.

Sunny

One Too Many
I agree about the skirt on the blue - except that the back has a great deal less material. But the collar and sleeve look like early 1950s. I'm guessing that late 1940s is good. It's the skirt treatment that really gets it. There was a lot of inventiveness going on in those years, and those side front pleats are beginning to really have the "look" for me.

The second does look more like early 1950s to me. The bodice design, the un-gathered but full skirt, and especially the neckline (front and back) - they don't look like late 1940s to me.

Just my own $.02. :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
of course, my real question is whether or not a small (as in not too full) petticoat would be appropriate under either dress?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk