Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

cemetarian

Vendor
Women's Hat is it 30's or 40's Any Ideas???

I just fell in love with this little beauty and as trying to get a date and name for it. It feels late 30's or early 40's to me and the detailing is exquisite.........It's something I can see Garbo wearing.......LOL

Does anyone have a suggestion for what I can call it to get it found? And do I have it on her correctly?

Blue_Hat.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Cute hat! It's a bit of a stumper. It would be worn just a teeeeny little bit back of where you have it- If you look in a profile, the bottom of it would be just about straight across. This hat seems to me to have two eras it could be from, and the easiest way to tell which would be to look at the label. If you want, you can post a pic of it here.

The first is that it would be somewhere from the late 30's-early 40's- abt 39-43, when the more cone shaped brims were in style. Big names during that time were Schiaperelli (sp?) and Lily Dache, among others. Hats like this were pretty prevalent in movies like "The Women", where Adrian was the designer. He was influnced, as were many designers of this time, including Schiaperelli, by the "new" surrealist art by painters like Salvador Dali. So the kind of spacey, otherworldly feel of designs of this era have their place in that world of surrealism (if you have you have time it's really amusing to see Salvator Dali's exhibit at the 1939 world's fair with "real" mermaids swiming in a huge tank.) So you can see how a hat like this would fit into that.

The other time this could be from would be the later 50's. Think Audrey Hepburn or those fantastic old Vogue magazine covers with the women's hair perfectly smoothed back and their eye makeup done huge and expressive. Hats again had the more pointed, tall look, along with the cute little headband hats (which were also popular in the late 30's, though those don't turn up much anymore). So that's another era this can be from.

Best bet is check the label for the name and lettering style, but it's a cute hat. Kind of reminds me of a fire hydrant for some reason. Love it!

Lauren

I may be wrong, but I think the label looks older to me... especially the head size one. It's very nice! I think it's probably earlier 40's, but it's got me stumped! [huh]

Foofoogal

Banned
I should know this but don't at the moment. When did the symbol of c in a circle come about. Would help date this hat. I think it may of been around 1955 but not sure. [huh]

vintagelaura

New in Town
Yes, the guild is a great resource! There are a lot of things there that are helpful in dating items or learning more about them.

As far as the use of the copyright symbol, I am pretty certain I have seen earlier items using the C in a circle. And I found this,

The use of the copyright symbol as part of the copyright notice was
established by the 1909 general revision of the copyright law (title 17 of
the U.S. Code).

and
"...the notice may consist of the letter C inclosed within a circle ...
accompanied by the initials, monogram, mark, or symbol of the copyright
proprietor..."

both found here http://lists.asu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0308&L=histarch&P=10390

Laura

Foofoogal

Banned
Wow Thanks Laura for narrowing it down. I looked all morning on the net and couldn't find it.
I will say then late 1930s or early 1940s as well on this hat. Why does it seem like I saw a movie with lots of snow and women wearing this type of hat. Maybe Switzerland?

StraightSeamGal

New in Town
Hello ladies, would anyone be kind enough to help me out with these two dresses, they are listed on sale as 1940's, but the site doesn't appear too accurate with dates, i just wanted to check and im new to dating items and a little flummoxed. :eusa_doh:

Theres this one...

40sBlackSplashPrint.jpg

And this one ....

40sDarkGreenFloral.jpg

For some reason with this one im leaning to the 50s. Perhaps the sleeves?
And the ruffles and print remind me of those 80s does 50s dresses!

Anyone shed some light ?

Foofoogal

Banned
From photos I would say 1940s on top one and maybe 1960s even for bottom one but you can tell much more by feeling the fabric. Is the top one sheer?

Lauren

I second the dates above :D
Top one looks late 40's (I'd say post war but pre 50's). Bottom looks 60's- I thought late 50's at first, but the ruffles on the sleeves like that didn't come in until later, and the ruffly collar is a mid 60's thing. The top one should be blousy in the bodice- it's obviously too big for the dress form, but I bet it would be really cute it it was fit right :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
StraightSeamGal said:
Hello ladies, would anyone be kind enough to help me out with these two dresses, they are listed on sale as 1940's, but the site doesn't appear too accurate with dates, i just wanted to check and im new to dating items and a little flummoxed. :eusa_doh:

do you have any more info? what's the fabric? what are the tags like (photos)? are there zippers? and if so, what are they made of and where are they located?

StraightSeamGal

New in Town
Foofoogal, Lauren - Thank you very much indeed, you gals really know your stuff.

Kitty - Unfortunatly i dont have anything like that, the dresses were for sale on a site which didnt offer any useful infomation like fabric, measurements etc:eusa_doh:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
I second the dates above :D
Top one looks late 40's (I'd say post war but pre 50's). Bottom looks 60's- I thought late 50's at first, but the ruffles on the sleeves like that didn't come in until later, and the ruffly collar is a mid 60's thing. The top one should be blousy in the bodice- it's obviously too big for the dress form, but I bet it would be really cute it it was fit right :)

What is with the corset detailing on the top one? That is something you see from the 40s?

Lauren

Yup! It was really popular in the late 30's and then came back again in the later 40's. It was just a design detail... they had a thing for peasant outfits then and for some reason putting lacing on made it more like that or something [huh] kinda fun.

You're welcome, Straightseamgal!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran