Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Bonnie, looking back at the first post here, this purse I found tonight looks like a variation of yours. Nice find you have:
http://www.tias.com/516/PictPage/1922700534.html
5508a.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
ITG,
That IS a really cute purse. I used to see these a lot, but I think they're getting snagged by collectors/dealers.

I'm always on the look-out for a new purse, a gal can't have too many purses! ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
These purses remind me of an interesting find my best friend made last week while pulling stuff out of her attic for a yard sale -- an alligator/crocodile/some kind of reptile bag with what appears to be the taxidermied hide of a baby alligator spread around the sides, complete with head, toothy mouth, glass eyes, and little feet and claws.

It's quite the most hideous thing either of us had ever seen, and she wants to immediately begin carrying it everywhere she goes. I know I've seen other equally-bizarre bags, including one made out of the shell of a roadkill armadillo -- but I have no idea when this particular trend was current. Any ideas? From the rest of the stuff in my friend's attic, I'm guessing early/mid-fifties, but I don't have anything more specific to go on than that.

Sunny

One Too Many
Lizzie, somewhere I've seen a very similar purse. It was probably at an antique mall years ago, before I knew much about what I was seeing, so I can't guess when it dates from. But I do know exactly what you're talking about.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
These purses remind me of an interesting find my best friend made last week while pulling stuff out of her attic for a yard sale -- an alligator/crocodile/some kind of reptile bag with what appears to be the taxidermied hide of a baby alligator spread around the sides, complete with head, toothy mouth, glass eyes, and little feet and claws.

It's quite the most hideous thing either of us had ever seen, and she wants to immediately begin carrying it everywhere she goes. I know I've seen other equally-bizarre bags, including one made out of the shell of a roadkill armadillo -- but I have no idea when this particular trend was current. Any ideas? From the rest of the stuff in my friend's attic, I'm guessing early/mid-fifties, but I don't have anything more specific to go on than that.

Is it like this one?
alligatorpurse.jpg

I found it at http://www.quirkyfinds.com/DesignerSpecialtyPurses.htm but it unfortunately has no date on it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ah!!! That's very much like it -- clearly of the same era. Hers is rectangular, and the unfortunate alligator is splayed out in sort of a diagonal position across the surface of the bag, but otherwise it's the same deal.

My friend enjoys photographing wildlife, and figures carrying such a bag will intimidate the creatures into cooperating with her.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My mom has a bag just like that that she's always trying to get me to use! I think she either bought it in New Orleans or South America, I'll have to ask her. I think she got it in the 70's, but during that time she wore a lot of vintage and would buy all of her things second-hand, so it's probably earlier.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Can someone date this handbag?

Hi Ladies,
This bag belongs to a friend of mine. Someone got it for her at a flea market and she just loves it. She's not into vintage at all, so she had no idea of the age, but she'd love to know more about her favorite handbag. I'm wondering if any of you have an idea on the age. Usually I'm pretty good at dating things, but this time I'm not as sure. I originally guessed '50s because of the size and shape. The leather is thick and heavy, much like a WWII army briefcase I have. I find it interesting how the strap is threaded through the 2 metal links on the top, and how the clasp is such a rough design. Any ideas? Thanks ever so. Trix

dsc00876fe8.jpg

dsc00878sj9.jpg

dsc00880tc3.jpg

dsc00879kt2.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful handbag and lovely vintage Aigner piece. Have your friend take it to a cobbler *stat* to have it cleaned up!

katylouise

New in Town
Hi everyone, this is an excellent thread! I have several items that I'm unsure about and would love some guesses or opinions on!

clothes16.jpg

clothes17.jpg

The jacket has one button closure & two little pockets at the sides. It isn't fitted, it flows nicely along the body rather than nipping in at the waist. Shoot, I should have taken a picture of the label. If that would help let me know & I'll take one.

Thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
katylouise said:
The jacket has one button closure & two little pockets at the sides. It isn't fitted, it flows nicely along the body rather than nipping in at the waist. Shoot, I should have taken a picture of the label. If that would help let me know & I'll take one.

Lovely jacket! Can you post a picture of the tag and also a picture of the jacket buttoned? It's hard to get an idea of the shape of the jacket when it's not buttoned. Also, what is it made of? Is there a union tag inside?

katylouise

New in Town
KittyT said:
Lovely jacket! Can you post a picture of the tag and also a picture of the jacket buttoned? It's hard to get an idea of the shape of the jacket when it's not buttoned. Also, what is it made of? Is there a union tag inside?

Will do! I'm at work right now but I'll take some when I get home :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree- the cut, especially of the pockets, looks 50's.

On a side note- my, my, do you have a lot of jewelry hanging in the background!

katylouise

New in Town
Lauren said:
I agree- the cut, especially of the pockets, looks 50's.

On a side note- my, my, do you have a lot of jewelry hanging in the background!

:p I am a bit of a necklace nut! I just can't stop buying vintage & new costume jewelry and it all starts piling up! My friends call me the magpie, because I tend to hoard shiny things! :)

katylouise

New in Town
imoldfashioned said:
clothes17.jpg

Guh! Look at that beading! Off the top of my head I'd guess late 50's but I'll eagerly await the label.

You know, the more I think about it the more that's probably right...am I totally off in remembering some fashion spreads from that time of models in loose-er jackets & pencil skirts?

Ergh, & the more I think about it the more I think this jacket is at my mom's house in what I like to call my "winter storage" lol It's definitely not jacket weather in Houston...

katylouise

New in Town
While trawling through vintage patterns on ebay I came across this:

IMG_9894.jpg

Despite being 3 buttons, this looks eerily like my jacket...does anyone recognize the time period of this Simplicity pattern? Judging by the design of the packaging? I wish I was that knowledgable, but alas I am not...[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters