Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

maisie

Practically Family
KittyT said:
of course, my real question is whether or not a small (as in not too full) petticoat would be appropriate under either dress?

I think you could get away with out for the late 40's look but a little (not too full) petticoat may give it more dramatic effect (little nipped in waist, etc)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
What perfectly gorgeous dresses KittyT and you look absolutely smashing in both of them. That salmony pink one is just so pretty. And they look like they are in great shape to boot!

I think you are looking at dresses from the early 1950s--like 1952 or so. A nice transitional dress from the slimmer silhouettes of the 40s to the grand new look with all of its crinoline glory of the 50s.

Have fun wearing them!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
What gorgeous dresses, you look great!!
I say early 50's. The blue one I'd wear a bit of a crinoline under so it poufs out just enough to show off the soutache on the skirt. I probably wouldn't wear one under the salmon dress but you'll have to try it and see.

Nikki

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Can you help date this "______"?

I've noticed we've had quite a few "Can you help date this dress?" type threads in the past couple of months. I tried searching to see if there was a catch-all thread for these sorts of questions already, but with 19 pages of search results I gave up not even halfway through.

So maybe, if there isn't one already, this could be the new thread to post your clothing dating queries?

I'm terrible at dating things, so here are two for you ladies!

This dress I nabbed for $1 at a thrift store yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's vintage. It features cloth covered buttons up the front and a metal zipper on the side. It's pretty big on me, so that's why the first picture is kind of awkward. Sorry for the poor quality!

clothes001.jpg

clothes005.jpg

The tag (which is actually yellowed)

clothes008.jpg

Close up of the fabric

clothes007.jpg

It's hard to see, but there are shoulder pads covered with the dress fabric inside.

Any guesses as to the date?

And here are a pair of shoes I picked up for about $12 about 6 months ago:

clothes011.jpg

clothes013.jpg

Inside of the right shoe. In the left shoe (my camera died before I could snap a pic) it says "Urbanites" by James Kean New York City. I also couldn't get a picture of this, but on the bottom of the heels there are semi circular metal "tap' type things that make them impossible to walk in! Any ideas as to what those were meant for?

Thanks!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I'm not the greatest at this either and always enjoy these threads.

First glance at dress, I'd say late 50's because of 3/4 sleeves and neckline. Could be very early 60's as well, look up 50s patterns on the bay and you'll see some very similar frocks.

Shoes I'm guessing 30's. Very cute buys, and cheap Pige! So, aren't they some sort of dance shoe with the tap? Can they be taken off?

Nikki

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First, let me say I am terrible at dating things and am probably wrong. That said, I think you might have a modern dress on your hands. The telephone number and the fiber content aren't things I tend to see on my vintage pieces, plus the tag size of 42 seems strange. What size are you modern? I believe a 42 Euro is something like a 12, or if it's Italian the sizing is different/smaller.

Totally helpful right? :rolleyes:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
First, let me say I am terrible at dating things and am probably wrong. That said, I think you might have a modern dress on your hands. The telephone number and the fiber content aren't things I tend to see on my vintage pieces, plus the tag size of 42 seems strange. What size are you modern? I believe a 42 Euro is something like a 12, or if it's Italian the sizing is different/smaller.

Totally helpful right? :rolleyes:

No, you're helpful! I'm about a US size 6. The waist is a little loose on me in this dress, but nothing big. I was thinking the 42 meant a bust of 42 inches since the bust is really huge on me (I'm 33 inches). But then if it's Italian it wouldn't be in inches! So I have no idea what the tag means!

Miss_Bella_Hell

pigeon toe said:
No, you're helpful! I'm about a US size 6. The waist is a little loose on me in this dress, but nothing big. I was thinking the 42 meant a bust of 42 inches since the bust is really huge on me (I'm 33 inches). But then if it's Italian it wouldn't be in inches! So I have no idea what the tag means!

You could definitely be right about the bust though, did you measure it yet?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Pigeontoe, the dress looks 80's to me by the label and is adorable! The shoes are 30's, and metal taps were very common for two reasons- they were popular with the college aged gals and a fashion trend. So all the up-to-date gals had a tap-tap-tap where ever they went. Also, becuase of the depression the metal plates made it so they would not wear down as quickly. The taps I have on mine are usually at the very tip of the toe- a tiny little metal plate, but I am supposing it could be on the back as well. Congrats on the good finds!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren said:
Pigeontoe, the dress looks 80's to me by the label and is adorable! The shoes are 30's, and metal taps were very common for two reasons- they were popular with the college aged gals and a fashion trend. So all the up-to-date gals had a tap-tap-tap where ever they went. Also, becuase of the depression the metal plates made it so they would not wear down as quickly. The taps I have on mine are usually at the very tip of the toe- a tiny little metal plate, but I am supposing it could be on the back as well. Congrats on the good finds!

Lauren,
Wouldn't the shoulder pads be a give too? I dont recall any vintage dresses I have where the shoulder pads made/covered in the same fabric of the dress itself.

LD

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The dress doesn't look finished enough on the seams to be 80s to me. I think earlier, but hard to say how much earlier.

I have a 40s hat which is from Italy and it has a much more sophisicated label than Englaish/American clothes of the era. For example, it has a phone number, so that is what makes me think it isn't so new.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Wouldn't the shoulder pads be a give too? I dont recall any vintage dresses I have where the shoulder pads made/covered in the same fabric of the dress itself.

True that LD, I shoulda known! I get so bamboozled by "metal zipper" sometimes that I tend to ignore other obvious clues.

I don't see any serging in the seams pictured, but is there any in the side seams, etc?

Nikki

BegintheBeguine

pigeon toe: The silk dress looks like it was made in the 80s or early 90s by a dressmaker who had a boutique or sewed for a boutique. This is why the zipper is metal, as metal zippers are still available at dressmakers' and tailors' supply companies, and would explain the seam finishing, and the shoulder pads are covered in self-fabric. Size 42 is American off-the-rack size 12, for a woman with a bust measurement of about 37-38". This dress is lovely and probably cost a lot of moolah at the time, and the 40s influence is clearly shown. Nice.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thank you all for the great info! I am totally stumped with this dress, because it does seem 80's, but none of the seams are serged, which makes me think it's earlier. Oh well, it's a nice dress anyway!

And Lauren, about the shoes, I think they used to have little taps up front too, but they got taken off. It's nice to know what those taps were actually for now.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I picked this up a couple days ago, listed in the 1947-early '60's, but with no specific date. I was thinking it looked late 50's. I was hoping to get some information here. Thanks! :)
IMG_3145.jpg

*Note: Not me in the picture,haha*

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy