Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
Make a triangle of your scarf, put it around your shoulders and then slip 2 ends thru the clip. Called a slide also.

I have one similar. As with everything I am a scarf collector. :eusa_doh:

Useful sort of person to have around!

Means I am still on the lookout for the elusive beltbuckle though.

swinggal

One Too Many
Claireg said:
Hi guys
I have another dress I would like to date if anyone can help?
Its velvet, its serged in places.
it has no label.
Any ideas from the style?
It smells old!
Thanks
Claire
v.jpg

v2.jpg

v1.jpg

I would say 30s for this one or very early 40s.

Porcelina

New in Town
Is this night dress from the 1930s?

Hello all!
I've been an avid but silent reader of this forum for a while, and just wanted to say that it's so incredibly helpful!

I have a little item that I need some help with dating. My beau arrived triumphant from a car boot sale yesterday with a present for me, "the lady said it was a silk dress from the 1930s!". (I'm so touched by his indulgence in my vintage obsession.)

It's indeed a lovely dress, but obviously a nightie as it's quite sheer (see photos).

DCP_5585.jpg

DCP_5586.jpg

DCP_5587.jpg

DCP_5588.jpg

Fabric: I'm not convinced it's silk. Feels like acetate to my untrained fingertips.
Fastenings: no zips or poppers, just slips on, and has a sash that ties at the back.
Labels: none.
Stitching: I thought at first it must be machine-stitched but on closer inspection I'm not so sure - the stitches are hardly in a straight line at all on the hem and while they're incredibly small and neat, sometimes the odd stitch appears bigger/smaller than the others.
Embroidery: Again this looks so neat and uniform it made me think it was machine-done but I really can't tell.
Seams: they aren't left 'raw' inside, they have that sort of overlocking/blanket stitch type thing going on.

I'd really appreciate any advice on dating this, hope you're all having a fabulous weekend.

Many thanks,
Miss P xx

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have a thirties silk nightie that is very similar to that, but i know some of the dresses were very sheer. Its very cute. My nightie actually came in some packaging, so i know it was a nightie as i would have been a bit stumped too! It's lovely though. Oh and welcome, i should have said that first, love you hair in your avatar! x:)

Porcelina

New in Town
Thanks all for your input! I was guessing early '50s myself, but there's always an exception to the rule (I have a dress from the 1930s that has overlocking stitch on the seams), that's the fun (and often frustrating) thing about learning to date vintage! Whatever it's actual age, my boyfriend has bowled me over with his thoughtfulness and attention to detail - he bought it because he recognised the shape of the waistband bit from another vintage dress I own! And then he haggled the stall owner down to £5 for it! Brilliant.

Oh and I can't possibly take credit for the hair - the marvellous rolls that stayed up later than I did were thanks to the Lipstick and Curls girls.

Thanks again,
xx

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I'm looking at a skirt online that is being described as a 50's Lucille Ball type of skirt. The thing that has me stumped is the knife pleating. The seller has it displayed with a crinoline underneath to full it out. Were knife pleats common in the 50's? They're something I've always associated with the 70's.

Sunny

One Too Many
I think pleating indicates a later date in the 50s and the early 60s. If we're talking I Love Lucy style, she hardly ever wore skirts that were either pleated or gathered instead of gored or flared. You're right, I've seen a lot of fairly full-skirted pleated skirts and dresses displayed over crinolines; but I think it's a later thing. The length of the skirt can be a good hint; I have a full, knife-pleated skirt that's no longer than my knee. It's definitely 60s.

Sunny

One Too Many
Whoa, interesting - that one is 70s, maybe 80s! The label screams it. The bias plaid is also very typical of later 70s. But it actually looks very good indeed with the crinoline and belt. It's gored with enough flare to look right over a crinoline.

Typical full skirts of the early 50s, I Love Lucy period, gave a triangular/cinder cone peak effect: small waists, very wide hems. To achieve this, skirts were cut as big circles or sections of circles. If you laid out part of the hem flat on the floor, it would curve. During the 1950s, skirt shapes began to change. Waists were still small, and hips still generous, but the width of the skirt at the hem shrank. To get rid of the extra fabric at the hem, skirts were cut out of trapezoidal or square pieces. If you laid out part of the hem flat, it would be straight or only slightly curved. Skirts had to be pleated or gathered into the waist. They were still worn over petticoats to support the material of the skirt, but the petticoats were softer just gave "oomph" to the hem instead of actually holding the skirt out like a crinoline petticoat. It's a very different shape.

Length is merely an indication of a 60s date instead of a 50s date; I've seen shirtdress patterns with nearly identical skirts except for the length.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
My thoughts as well... I don't believe the one that sold had a label on it. Can't remember at the moment. Thanks for the advice!!!!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Wolsey Sweater

I picked this up at a garage sale for 10 dollars. I hardly looked at it; we were in a rush. It still had tags, which I've misplaced:eusa_doh: . Anyways, fast forward a few weeks.....When I actually unfolded it and tried it on, I was very surprised by the shape. It looks very 50's to me. But the condition is pristine and the tags and label were very modern. I looked at the Wolsey website and they don't do reproduction. Could this be an accidental vintage find? I'm going to make a skirt to go with it. I'll start a poll so you gals can help me pick a style!
028.jpg

029.jpg

034.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
MarieAnne, it does look vintage to me. Can you post a detail pic of the label? It also looks vintage. My gut feeling says late 50s-into 60s.

Nomanolo

Familiar Face
I'm new so let me start with saying: hello everyone :) I work in a vintage boutique in The Netherlands, but me and my colleagues are having difficulties dating these shoes:

Foto0730+%5B%5D.jpg

Foto0729+%5B%5D.jpg

I think they are quite unusual, but lovely. Real snakeskin, leather sole... maybe '70 because of the platform...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot