Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Need help dating a jacket

I have this jacket I'm planning to sell and I'm wondering if anyone could help out dating it. I don't know if it's even really vintage, but I think it has a 40s look to it (I'm not into the 40s though so I may be completely off).

It closes with two metal hook and eye closures, and the insides seem very unfinished. The ends of the fabric looks overlocked but it has no lining. It has no brand tag but has one that says hand washing only. It's actually a suit so there's a pencil skirt that goes with it that closes with a zipper in the back and one hook and eye. I'm keeping the skirt though.

kavaj%20%281%29.jpg

lappen.jpg

insidan.jpg

Could it be a 40s inspired 80s suit or is it actually old?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Johanna said:
It's actually a suit so there's a pencil skirt that goes with it that closes with a zipper in the back and one hook and eye. I'm keeping the skirt though.

Is the zipper on the skirt metal or nylon? That's probably going to be your big key here.

Cool jacket!

Mary

Practically Family
First. Post this in the help me date an item tread. More people will see it there!

In most older jackets there's a fabric on the inside (lining) so that makes me think it's newer. Cause it's not homesewn. And a washing tag. Maybe the eighties. What fabric do you think it is?

M

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
First. Post this in the help me date an item tread. More people will see it there!

In most older jackets there's a fabric on the inside (lining) so that makes me think it's newer. Cause it's not homesewn. And a washing tag. Maybe the eighties. What fabric do you think it is?

M

Thanks for the tip! I didn't even notice there was a thread like this before. The no lining thing and the not so vintage looking tag were the major things that made me think it could be 80s or later. I'm not good with fabric, and I don't know what different fabrics are called in English, but it's kind of ribbed and half thick.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Late '80s, likely -- hard to imagine it's been 20 years already since that trend. There were a lot of lightweight suits then with no linings.

The back zipper is also a giveaway -- side closure was standard for '40s skirts.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Johanna said:
I have this jacket I'm planning to sell and I'm wondering if anyone could help out dating it. I don't know if it's even really vintage, but I think it has a 40s look to it (I'm not into the 40s though so I may be completely off).

It closes with two metal hook and eye closures, and the insides seem very unfinished. The ends of the fabric looks overlocked but it has no lining. It has no brand tag but has one that says hand washing only. It's actually a suit so there's a pencil skirt that goes with it that closes with a zipper in the back and one hook and eye. I'm keeping the skirt though.

kavaj%20%281%29.jpg

lappen.jpg

insidan.jpg

Could it be a 40s inspired 80s suit or is it actually old?

Just about everything in the 80s was serged, and this is clearly finished in a zig zag stitch (and pinked), so it may be hand made 50s from a vintage pattern (but that debunks the tag in the jacket, hmmm....).

A lot of early made patters didnt have linings in their pieces, so this could be a late pro job from a seamstress, where she put in a care tag, or, it may very well be older than that.

You said it had a metal zipper? Hmmmm...

Good find...

LD

SugarCoatedKid

New in Town
a little help in dating a dress...

i bought this dress at a vintage shop recently. fell in love the minute i saw it. as to when it's from...no clue. if anyone can maybe give me a little hand it would be greatly appreciated. and if anyone might know what kind of shoes might go with it, that would be peachy:] ThanKs!

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

ShortClara

One Too Many
Re: SugarCoatedKid

Any tags? Is it serged? It looks like a poly stretch to me in the material? Those ties are what is making me think newer, like 70s does 40s at the earliest.

SugarCoatedKid

New in Town
you know...i never really looked, so when i checked, turns out there is tags....hmmm...so i guess it is new. well thank you. i think i was so excited about it i never bothered to check..;)

ShortClara

One Too Many
SugarCoatedKid said:
you know...i never really looked, so when i checked, turns out there is tags....hmmm...so i guess it is new. well thank you. i think i was so excited about it i never bothered to check..;)

I should have said originally that it's super fab and very slinky! So new or no, it's adorable! Oh, and tags don't immediately denote new anyhow. it all depends on what they say, what they look like, etc.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive got a couple of things:

This is a brooch and earring set I got at a Charity shop in SF. The woman said it was from an elderly lady. IT was labeled as being from the 20s, but I think it might be later. A few reasons: The jewels are glued in, and the brooch and earrings are marked.

roochandearset.jpg

Also, altho they are clip on earrings, its not the clamp mechanism that is associated with older jewelry.

Any info Ladies?
LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive had this necklace since childhood, and was told it belonged to my Mom.

globe1.jpg

The closure is silver and glass, but on the inside is a liquid and the chips move like its a mini snowglobe!

globe2.jpg

globe3.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Ive got a couple of things:

This is a brooch and earring set I got at a Charity shop in SF. The woman said it was from an elderly lady. IT was labeled as being from the 20s, but I think it might be later. A few reasons: The jewels are glued in, and the brooch and earrings are marked.

roochandearset.jpg

Also, altho they are clip on earrings, its not the clamp mechanism that is associated with older jewelry.

Any info Ladies?
LD

Well someone over on iOffer says this about the Maker:

BSK was a New York jewelry manufacturer from the late 1940's to the 1970's. BSK stands for the initials of the three owners.

and someone over at TIAS says

BSK was a New York jewelry company started in the 1950's and closed some time in the 1970's.

and the only place that -wasn't using it as an item description- gives a short bio:

BSK: Approximately 1948 - Early 1970s.

The initials BSK stand for the owners: B for Benny Steinberg, S for Hy Sloritt and K for a Mr. Kaslo. The New York jewelry company was in business approximately from 1946 to the early 1970s. The jewelry is of average quality, some with interesting and original designs with gold plating, seed pearls and rhinestones. Mark: B.S.K. with a copyright symbol". BSK jewelry is not rare. We are seeing an abundance of it on the market. It normally sells at low to middle price ranges. The company ceased operations in the early 1970s. Very little is known about the company.

so ...late 40's or 50's ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran