Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can You Identify this Military Jacket?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I was leaning toward it being a Naval tunic, due to the shoulder board attachment tabs/lack of an epaulet button(not American)- I think this makes a lot of sense.

I have a feeling that it could be French- but haven't seen an example to convince me yet.

Any type of Police, or HWP..?
I have seen some older Police uniforms that were quite similar
but not in khaki.

B
T

Mike K.

One Too Many
What about Gurkha or Sikh?

The Wingnut said:
WWII USN service dress uniforms used shoulder boards, however, they had notch lapels and did not have a belt.
True, but what about something other than a Class A uniform?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
True, but what about something other than a Class A uniform?

Sleeve cuff stripes for officers and sleeve grades for enlisted on most everything else. Work khakis(petty and commissioned officers) used collar brass.

JoshK

New in Town
To me it looks to be a USMC(if it is one then it is pretty rare) or USN officers tunic. The easiet way to be sure is if you could get some detail shots of the lower pockets on the jacket.

-Josh

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Cigarband said:
Check out the Khaki Drill Jacket the Canadian Major (Cliff Robertson) is wearing in this clip from the movie "The Devils Brigade". As soon as I saw your photos I remembered this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1awwAgU_t8

Nope again.
Cliff actually seems to be wearing a 1970s, civilian "Safari Jacket".
Definitely non-regulation, in any case.

Thanks,

B
T

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I have a picture of a USAAF Officer in CBI with a bush jacket that is damn close to that. The book is, I believe, US Uniforms of WWII by Shelby Stanton. I would say it's a USN bush type or a USAAF with removable shoulder straps that are gone.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm... I have that book too.
I think I know the photo you mean- AAF officer, cap, no shirt and open necked
bush shirt/jacket.

This jacket is definitely more of a service dress item than a bush jacket.

But the officer version of the US Army/AAF service uniform jacket has the
peaked lapel, at least- no belt though. As I said, my jacket is definitely (as can surely be seen)more of a service dress jacket in KD, than any type of "bush" jacket, or shirt.
It does accommodate removable shoulder boards(which I don't have),
or epaulets but that could be a means to CBI, or tropical laundering practicalities, or realities. This could make sense in a theatre-tailor made uniform jacket.

My best guess was that this was a "costume" garment, or a custom uniform piece, observing a few detail choices beyond those of regulation.

Strangely, another FL member, Thunder21w, has picked up a jacket and trouser, in KD, with the same name stenciled in the jacket.
Does the name belong to an individual, or a costume company...?

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy