Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas(Duck)-jackets

Looks pretty clean and new for 20 years old! What kind of activities do you wear it for?

I wore it nearly everyday in school-life until 2000 and since them unsteady for ways in my small-town. :) It got only one small inner-pocket without zipper or knob. ;)

But ultra-robust, like a potatoe-sack.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone know why they call it Duck canvas? I've always been curious....its not made of duck is it? :eek:

Does anyone know why they call it Duck canvas? I've always been curious....its not made of duck is it? :eek:
I always assumed it had to do with hunting gear...duck hunters need heavy canvas for shooting ducks? I don't know...the only duck I ever hunt comes from the Chinese grocery store.

Totally off topic but they take the whole damn duck, head and all and cut it cross-sectionally. It's cooked and just needs to be warmed. It's so damn good. I love that layer of fat around a duck in between the meat and skin. This thread just settled my dinner plans and that's a first for me around here. Sorry for straying off topic...

"Duck" seems to be the dutch name for Canvas.

Zeildoek = sailcloth
Doek = cloth

Any early british importers named it "Duck", so there are two parallel names, today.

Last edited:
Is clothing-industry that specialized on twill, that simple twill-jackets are costing 80 Euro, but the same simple jackets, made from Canvas, are costing 130 Euro?? o_O

Anyone knows?

Would you prefer the twill-jacket?

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Totally off topic but they take the whole damn duck, head and all and cut it cross-sectionally. It's cooked and just needs to be warmed. It's so damn good. I love that layer of fat around a duck in between the meat and skin. This thread just settled my dinner plans and that's a first for me around here. Sorry for straying off topic...
Kind of reminds me every time someone asks a Front Quarter Horse Hide question, My mind slinks off to France when I ate my first Horse Burger. Yummmm ;)

The typical slim-fit of this original type III-jacket is tighter, than on my beloved storebrand-type III-jacket, so I had to set the waist-straps on the wide-position, instead of narrow. And everything is fine! Life's good. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Carhartt Detroit duck cotton is amongst the best in terms of the actual design - like a cool leather utility jacket and with blanket lining. A duck cotton halfbelt would be great too.

Duck cotton does have something - the characteristics of leather.

The Carhartt Detroit duck cotton is amongst the best in terms of the actual design - like a cool leather utility jacket and with blanket lining. A duck cotton halfbelt would be great too.

Duck cotton does have something - the characteristics of leather.

That jacket is extremely nice!

I never took canvas seriously until I had a leather jacket with pockets lined in it. It was the heavy stuff that probably would've outlived the jacket. Figured right then a garment made of canvas would be something else... But sadly, I don't think I've ever once seen an entire jacket made from it here where I am.

It really does age the right way...

il_fullxfull.678370726_n6kw.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big fan of cotton duck. Bought my first Carhartt duck workpants and jacket on my first trip to the USA 25 years ago, before Carhartt even existed in Europe.
Been a fan of that fabric since then, it is impossible to kill! I still have my 25 years old jacket and pants, they have pretty much turned white and have a few holes, but they are still used to work outside and crawl underneath the car...

My current summer jackets are a pair of Type 3 cotton ducks made by Iron heart.
Much thicker and nicer than what Carhartt uses, don't think i will wear through them in my lifetime.

DSC_3980_zps449a1869.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ha, well Carlos, at ten times the cost of Carhartt, they had better be ten times thicker! I have a psychological barrier paying that much for fabric. But then I am not the target market as no matter how rich I've become, I won't pay more than $50 for jeans.

There is of course a great deal of variation in duck cotton. I've had some clothes in duck that fell to bits pretty fast. It isn't in itself a textile miracle.

IXL

One Too Many
Here in Oklahoma, everyone wears a LOT of heavy canvas garments. Heck, most parents use diapers made from the stuff....starts the kids out right.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo