Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capricorn

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I'm thinking about ordering an Akubra Capricorn for office wear for this spring and summer.
It looks like it would be an easy, fairly dressy straw that would go with lots of dressy casual stuff.

Are they comfortable? Are they cool?

Also, what are the greens like? I'd need to order one today if I want to wear it for a month in August, apparently from the wait ...

Thanks,

Sam

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Sam, they are fairly comfy and cool. I can feel air flow through the open woven area in the crown. They are not as light as straw, but will stand up to rain. Looking for a straw hat for Summer is what brought me to the lounge. Never did get a straw, but I've been happy with the Capricorn for sun protection in the Summer.

Edward

Bartender
Never seen a green one in person- I like the idea, but wary it might be a bit leprechaun (especially with my accent, and if it's the weekend and I've not shaved...) if too bright a green. I do have the straw coloured one and a grey, though. Very pleased with these. Much more robust than an actual Panama, but not too hot at all. I'd choose a different hat for a full day of rain, but for a shower or a day when it *might* rain, these are great. None of that fear of them dissolving I have with real straw.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'll second the others. I've had one for about a year now and I wear it most days. I used to be a Panama hat wearer but Panamas are little too high maintaince for me to wear everyday (worry about rain, worry about it getting crushed, etc.). The only drawback I've found is that when its really hot they are not quite as cool as a real straw hat since they are plastic they heat up like plastic. Not a big deal on the balance though. I've ordered a Country Club now and I am waiting for it to arrrive.

Last edited:

MCrider

A-List Customer
Don't know about the green one, but I've had the fawn for two years now and it's the only hat I wear in the summer months. If you are wanting the fawn or grey, Hats Direct could have it to you in a couple weeks.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I have the Capricorn in Fawn and Gray, along with the indentical Rink model in Cream. These are my "go-to" hats during ther summer. Not quite as cool as my panama hats, the actually ventilate very welll and no worries about wet weather!

Had you told me a couple of years ago that I'd be at all interested in a plastic "straw" hat, I'd have questioned whether you knew me from Jennifer Aniston. But now that I've seen several not-at-all-bad-looking ones in photos as well as "in person," my opinions have changed.

They're no substitute for a better-grade "real" straw, but I question if they are really meant to be. A plastic summer hat is far more practical for far more people, for the reasons already enumerated in this and other threads. Go ahead, wear it while boating or when the skies are threatening. Wouldn't do that with a 500-plus dollar Montecristi, not unless you got a whole lot of expendable income or a close relationship with Ecuadoran hat weavers.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I realize the only way to get a green one was to order and wait for a quarter of a year and my vanity won't allow for that.

I have done a lot of business with The Hattery and the tan or gray would be great.

I'm in the middle of Kansas where rain is not much of a problem. I plan to leave my hats to my great-great grandsons, though, and they might seen rain someday.

It rained this past weekend here. I wasn't all that excited but my 35-year-old son had never seen it before and it was a big deal for him!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sam

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Here's a picture of me wearing mine last summer. I'm the guy on the left with the white beard. I like the Capricorn a lot, because you don't have to handle it with care.
DSCN3160.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Nice looking hat and a great view.

If it wasn't for that whole witness protection thing you could tell us what river that is in the background.

I am checking with the ladies in Katoomba on the tan Capricorn in my size, so I should be able to get one here before the sweat starts to flow this season. It looks like it will be a good deal for a daily wearer.

I found a great coconut straw, a milan and a new Sunbody last year and towards the middle to end fo the summer, I even got one of the Stetson Whitehalls in sort of a blue/gray mix. So this should see me through another summer.

Sam

99benzman

New in Town
That looks like the Tennessee river with the Vols stadium in the background...Tennessee is where they send most in witness protection.

I have to agree, I have the tan and the grey, both are really great summer hats, I also have a country club in cream, but that 3" brim was just too much for a "fedora" style hat, and in bright sunlight I felt like I had a florescent bulb shining in my eyes, so I tacked a piece of green felt to the underneath of the brim and that worked wonders! know I know why they have a "green under" option. I'll wear my two capricorns to the office / casual, etc. but when I need real extened sun protection, I'll switch to my columbia Torrent Downpour hat.

felkor

New in Town
It's a special order hat from australiangear - takes 11-12 weeks. I know, because I just ordered the Hayman (just like the Capricorn with slightly smaller brim) from there, and they emailed me and said it would take 12 weeks. Would be nice to get it earlier, but they are the only place it seems that will ship to Canada at a reasonable rate.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Nice looking hat and a great view.

If it wasn't for that whole witness protection thing you could tell us what river that is in the background.
It's the Three Rivers area of Pittsburgh (but don't tell anyone!).

And the guy on the right is my old buddy Ordinary Guy from our very own Lounge here. I flew back and visited him last summer. He showed me all around and we had a blast.

scooter

Practically Family
The only complaint I have with mine, is the sweat seems to be of a synthetic material and makes me sweat profusely. I like the hat, and may have a leather sweat put in.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
The only complaint I have with mine, is the sweat seems to be of a synthetic material and makes me sweat profusely. I like the hat, and may have a leather sweat put in.

Yeah and after a little while the fake leather coloring/paint on the plastic starts coming off and makes little brown specks on your brow...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ