Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain America Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I very much doubt that - you assert that Hugh told you that, well pull him up here to repeat himself for us. The thing is, Ken's been making stuff for famous people since the 60s: The Beatles, Hendrix, Santana, Suzi Quatro, The Stones, even The Sweet, gawdhelpus!
Now, when I interviewed him, I had to persuade him to give me some celeb stories, and even though he finally acquiesced, he was always at pains to point out that these people were no big deal - don't forget, he used to play Sunday football with the likes of Pink Floyd the Small Faces and Ridley Scott - and that they all waited in line and all paid for their gear. Given this was his stated position, why would he care about an actor who wasn't that famous at the time, a comedian who was in a US drama on C5, and a rock star whose music I doubt he'd care for?
There are, as you know, Robb, no pics of famous people on Aero's walls, no third-rate actor's recommendations on their websites, or marketing budget to push their designs into GQ or Esquire - it's just not the the way they work, but they seem to get by pretty fine.

Craig .. Ken wasn't even there when these jackets were done ! He was retired in the Highlands with the missus.

The Foo's got there's during T in the park ( there were many pics of this on the Aero website ) .... Hugh got his sent to him in 2006/7 ??? while doing the last series of House ( again there were multiple pics both online and in the Gala showroom) ..... Daniel got his back in 2006 or 7 ( again check the pics online and there was even a testament on the website ISTR . Even the main players in the Queen of the South semi final team got jackets and Aero was a shirt sponsor for the team for a year !!!!!!!!!

Speak to Ken ( I doubt he knows ... because he wasn't there ! ) ....... So doubt all you want ..... I really coundnt't give a hoot ...... but once again my reporter friend, check your facts !

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Right, there's lots to unpack from Mr Eadie there, so I've gone to the source on this: images of Hugh's jacket were on Mark Moye's website, not Aero's and not in the showroom. If he got one from Will for nothing, then that would have been his fourth Aero, as Ken sold him three previously.
Daniel C's would not have been free, though it appears the filing on this is 'patchy', so he might have better gen on that.
For the others mentioned, that would be Will's look out - but what Mr E seems to be saying that he was giving away free jackets without Ken's permission and flying in the face of the company's policy. So I have to ask: Is that the case, Robb? Because that's pretty serious if it is...

Plumbline

One Too Many
I don't know who gave them or where they came from ( Aero UK, Aero USA, Insurrection or anyone else) ..... I just asked the question. Wether the MD of Aero had that authority to issue a free jacket, or the absent chairperson had to approve that, or wether staff could buy jackets at a discount or were offered as a staff incentive ..... I have no idea, that's an Aero issue ( and quiet frankly I couldn't give a toss .... the petty ( and not very serious at all) internal policies and politics of leather companies are not my concern and were not what was being discussed here ).

There isn't much to unpick Craig .. I asked Hugh Lawrie in 2006/7(in Los Angeles) where he got his famed Highwayman .. he replied he was GIVEN it by Aero. I then asked if he knew where DC ( another Brit) got his did he got given his as well .... he replied he thought he had been given a black one for publicity but it didn't look as good as his brown one. It wasn't an in depth interview it was at a dinner in LA with about 200 people who had an interest in petrol and it including Bud Elkins, Evil Kinevel, Fonda, Jay Leno, Nick Cage ( that's not name dropping just an idea of who was there) and a whole raft of petrol heads in aid of the Peter Fonda Foundation ( I think) ..... I was there representing Castrol.

Grohl's jacket and the Foo Fighters was during T at the Park ( In Carlisle) and is a matter of public and Aero record and press story / photo.

The QoS team jackets and Aero's sponsorship of QoS ( in 2007/8) is again a matter of record and press story / report. There was a picture of 4 members of the team in their Aero jackets in your paper I think prior to the semi-final against Glasgow Rangers.

What's to unpick ...... to suggest Aero never "gave away" jackets to celebrities or used free jackets to generate publicity and generate marketing content is A NONSENSE ( see above) .... Ken MAY have never given away a jacket I can't vouch for that ... I can only point out where I have been told that Aero HAVE given away jackets to celebrities based on the info I have.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't going to bother replying to this ping pong game, but that's an interesting little bit of Stalinism you did there, editing your dates to match your posts: Changing “Hugh got his sent to him in 2008/9 while doing the last series of House”, to “Hugh got his sent to him in 2006/7 while doing the last series of House” to match your comment in a previous post “I asked Hugh Lawrie in 2007 (in Los Angeles) where he got his famed Highwayman ..”, which in itself has been edited to read 2006/7. I'm sure you have a very good reason for the correction, which you'll explain at length and I'll probably fall asleep reading.

Anyhoos, the QoS sponsorship came from a raffle - I'm reliably informed that it was a case of local companies paid £250 and the winning ticket had their name on the strip for the season. The picture of the players in Aero jackets was staged for the benefit of the paper, Will apparently gave Ken assurances that they would not be allowed to keep them, I'm sure he wouldn't have fibbed to the Managing Director, would he?
Let's face it, any free jackets handed out in whatever situation, was down to to Will, and this is the point: you keep saying that Aero has had a marketing strategy of handing out jackets, that's not the case, it was Will who seems to have been open-handed with other people's property.
Funnily enough, he told me during the one time that we met, that rich or poor, everybody paid and everyone waited in line - except, according to him, the actor James Cosmo, who got to keep a Barnstormer he wore in some film [huh] - which is exactly what Ken has always stated. Soooo, what we're saying here is, petty politics or not, Will must've known what he was doing wasn't Aero policy, as most fashion houses and labels are pretty open in getting their stuff on to the backs of famous people, whether its advertising campaigns or product placement - that's why the rest of us pay through the nose for their stuff.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Yawn ......

The sycophancy is becoming boring now ...... the dates were edited because I can't actually remember the specific date ( it was a long time ago) .. I do however remember the event !

Moving on .....

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Word to all. I saw a Capt. America near my size on ebay for $750 US. Went to the Logan's Closet Webbie and it was about $200 less so... Plus, I've lost enough weight that I fit a size 50 in a Vanson now and the auction was for a 54.

Worf

Otter

One Too Many
I have always steered clear of the film replica market, I mean how good is a $200 leather jacket going to be? A whisper had it that there were some new Aero designs in the pipeline and I wondered if, as the new film is just hitting cinemas, that this could be one.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yawn ......
The sycophancy is becoming boring now ...... the dates were edited because I can't actually remember the specific date ( it was a long time ago) .. I do however remember the event !

Yeah, yeah, when in doubt ad hominem all the way. :rolleyes: Anyway, back to more fun stuff. I've always steered clear of the repro market too, it just doesn't hold much of an appeal for me, I'd always catch my reflection and think 'nope, I don't look as good as X star who was wearing it in Y film - certainly, I'm not going to pass for Cpt America any time soon :D, not without some serious gym time...

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Yeah, yeah, when in doubt ad hominem all the way. :rolleyes: Anyway, back to more fun stuff. I've always steered clear of the repro market too, it just doesn't hold much of an appeal for me, I'd always catch my reflection and think 'nope, I don't look as good as X star who was wearing it in Y film - certainly, I'm not going to pass for Cpt America any time soon :D, not without some serious gym time...

I know what you mean. I watched the first Captain America with my girlfriend - who isn't in to sci-fi/super hero stuff at all. But I'd really wanted to see it and on this occasion she indulged me - and she watched it in a nonplussed kind of way - until our hero went into that machine and out he popped, all buff and tall - and my girlfriend suddenly beamed and clapped and said "Oh, we have to get you one of those !"

Otter

One Too Many
I know what you mean. I watched the first Captain America with my girlfriend - who isn't in to sci-fi/super hero stuff at all. But I'd really wanted to see it and on this occasion she indulged me - and she watched it in a nonplussed kind of way - until our hero went into that machine and out he popped, all buff and tall - and my girlfriend suddenly beamed and clapped and said "Oh, we have to get you one of those !"

Was that the jacket or the body? :)

Stand By

One Too Many
Nah ... the jacket appeared later. :(

And when it did, I sat up - and she didn't.

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud was quite right in his decision to close this.

Sadly there are a 'few' individuals who are coming into the Outerwear Section and using it as an excuse to publicly 'snipe' with barbed comments at other members and believe that it is acceptable to 'de-rail' a decent thread from the anonymity of their computer.

Even 'after' a Bartender has asked them not to, which shows a total lack of respect for those who administer this joint. And 'that' is a major 'no-no!'

So..start asking yourself, "is this the right place for you to come to..?" Do you want to contribute in a positive way to this forum? Do you feel your character type can adhere to the rules of civility that is part of the unique ethos of TFL?

As, quite frankly, that choice will be taken out of your hands for you pretty quickly and you will be shown the door. That's not up for discussion. Just the way it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran