Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain America Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I too read that article in the Scotsman. I seem to recall the Scotsman as the Sloan's employer. I noticed that the author of the story is Siobhan Synnot. Craig, speak up; give us more of the details. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
If I'm not mistaken... Vanson is making a Capt. America Jacket for a third party called "Loganscloset.com" but it's not the Red White and Blue one but the far more bad ass brown leather one he uses on his first foray against Hydra.

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
SS is indeed my other half. When she announced she was interviewing Chris Evans for Cpt America sequel, it seemed daft not to ask about the Aero connection - it's one of the rules of Scottish journalism that you always try to put a tartan scarf around a story if you can. She was delighted when Chris said he spirited one into his own wardrobe, made a great line.
I agree with Otter, I think it'd make a great popular jacket!

Edward

Bartender
Not sure if we're thinking about the same jacket.... the one I remember from the first film was an adapted Bootlegger. There was somebody else put one together and was selling itg on eBay a while back, but Aero haven't as of yet offered a standard repro of their own jacket from the film. I can imagine some of the very hardcore cosplay types buying them, then gonig to extremes to break them down (as I recall, the one in the film ends up very beaten-up, with one sleeve seam ripped right open where it meets the jacket).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It was based on an Alaska Reindeer jacket, but effectively an adapted Bootlegger - why anyone would want to reduce one of them to the ragged condition of the film version is beyond me! :eeek:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No excuse: maintain standards at all times! Mind you, he wasn't quick enough to escape a rather lacklustre sequel...

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I remember there was a previous thread discussing about this. It was really a surprise that Aero did make the jacket for the movie. Long before it was made public, Logan's/Vanson were (and still are) making an excellent cowhide repro, lots of cosplay Caps have bought their jackets and pretty happy with it. It is a pity that the Aero Captain America is an one off pattern just for the movie, but of course, if they want to sell it they may need to pay licence fee to Marvel and Disney.

Edward

Bartender
I remember there was a previous thread discussing about this. It was really a surprise that Aero did make the jacket for the movie. Long before it was made public, Logan's/Vanson were (and still are) making an excellent cowhide repro, lots of cosplay Caps have bought their jackets and pretty happy with it. It is a pity that the Aero Captain America is an one off pattern just for the movie, but of course, if they want to sell it they may need to pay licence fee to Marvel and Disney.

If memory serves, it came about because somebody in a position of influence was a pal of Ken's, and decided Aero were the way to go for that one. I can't imagine Ken being that fussed on that front, no - Aero never really seem to have felt any need to go down the endorsement route. I'm sure I read an interview where Ken pretty much said as much. That does mean that those who are so keen on their Aeros, like Daniel Craig, well, they're obviously paying punters, which to me is a much better sign than someone being effectively paid to wear one. Be interesting to see one of the official jackets to compare with a Bootlegger. Vanson are interesting - I imagine they might put it out at a price band lower than Aero, but they'll certainly be really solid jackets capable of far more than the occasional wear in a convention centre for a few hours a year. I should think some of those Captain America costumers will be wearing the jackets day to day as well.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Daniel Craig and Hugh Lawrie paid for their Aeros ....... that's not what Hugh told me !!!!! I don't think they were paid to wear them but I know Hugh didn't buy his and neither did David Grohl buy his ...... those were VERY clever product placements by Aero Management.

:D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I must be getting old. When I read the title of this thread I assumed it would be discussing a reproduction of the jacket Peter Fonda wore in Easy Rider.

Safer that way. Captain America is one of a phalanx of tedious and bereft superhero characters that live in the grotesquely distorted CGI universe. ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Daniel Craig and Hugh Lawrie paid for their Aeros ....... that's not what Hugh told me !!!!! I don't think they were paid to wear them but I know Hugh didn't buy his and neither did David Grohl buy his ...... those were VERY clever product placements by Aero Management.

:D

I very much doubt that - you assert that Hugh told you that, well pull him up here to repeat himself for us. The thing is, Ken's been making stuff for famous people since the 60s: The Beatles, Hendrix, Santana, Suzi Quatro, The Stones, even The Sweet, gawdhelpus!
Now, when I interviewed him, I had to persuade him to give me some celeb stories, and even though he finally acquiesced, he was always at pains to point out that these people were no big deal - don't forget, he used to play Sunday football with the likes of Pink Floyd the Small Faces and Ridley Scott - and that they all waited in line and all paid for their gear. Given this was his stated position, why would he care about an actor who wasn't that famous at the time, a comedian who was in a US drama on C5, and a rock star whose music I doubt he'd care for?
There are, as you know, Robb, no pics of famous people on Aero's walls, no third-rate actor's recommendations on their websites, or marketing budget to push their designs into GQ or Esquire - it's just not the the way they work, but they seem to get by pretty fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran