car colors...

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by davestlouis, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

Our current car is metallic navy blue. Nice, but not very interesting.

2. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

White and silver. The sun is too brutal here to consider any darker color.

For a while, there were six cars at our house. White Camry ('96), white Camry ('00), white Camry ('01?), silver Camry ('09), silver Corolla ('01), and white Chevy Suburban ('97). :D Oh, and my grandmother has a white Camry, '09.

Now people have moved out and we're down to three Camrys (white still winning, 2-1) and the Suburban.

And my brother and his wife finally messed up the streak with a dark blue Corolla ('08, I think). :p

3. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

My VW Passat was white, and my Scion tC is gray. My favorite colors on cars seem to be silver, blue, red, and gray.

4. normanpitkin

normanpitkin One of the Regulars

my 48 new yorker is black and my girlfriend's nissan figaro is spring green with an ivory roof.

5. Gromulus

Gromulus Practically Family

Good data. Having worked in the automotive coating industry for several years we were aware of the trends in colors. White and black have historically been the tops sellers. (Henry Ford's first cars were only offered in black, although for technical reasons above others).

A few years ago silver metallic ran away with the top spot and has been there ever since.

6. ClothesHorse

ClothesHorse Familiar Face

I am the embodiment of boring cars. Taking a twist on the Henry Ford quote, I have told many a salesperson when asked about the color. "It can be any color, as long as its white."

You'd be surprised how many of the sales people don't get it, and continue trying to sell me the black, Dark Gray, or Metallic Green version.

All the best,

CH

7. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Right on Smithy, another vote for British racing green!:eusa_clap

8. Tango Yankee

Tango Yankee Call Me a Cab

The two cars I've purchased new in my life were both red. What I really like, though, are two-tone jobs, with creamy white on top and underneath a turquise, or yellow, or... you get the idea. :)

The problem these days is that the body styles of most vehicles do not lend themselves to a proper two-tone look.

Cheers,
    Tom

9. azhiker

azhiker One of the Regulars

Graphite Blue

Which is actually kinda a dark blue/grey charcoal affair. it's wrapped around a 2010 VW Jetta. I love the car, and if I was out West, or down South, this color would be too hot, but here in the Midwest, it's very nice. It looks very rich and expensive.

10. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Good choice of vehicle!

[​IMG]

11. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is the car you get when you cannot deciede on a colour

[​IMG]

And yes, they really produced these.

12. davestlouis

davestlouis Practically Family

Those harlequin VWs were wild. I saw a webforum devoted to them once, couldn't believe there was any retail appeal in something like that. Here's a site devoted to them...

http://www.rossvw.com/harlequin/

13. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

I see exactly what you are saying. There's something about say, a 1950s era car that could convincingly pull off the two-tone look (example: cream top, lime green body), but today's vehicles would just look pretty tacky for the most part. I don't know, this is something I really haven't seen done frequently at all. It's basically a rarity.

Also, I don't own a car yet, but if I have the means (assuming I don't just go vintage, there's a 1951 model, if still around, that costs $10,000), I would purchase a Jeep Wrangler (green, as olive drab would be great, but that wouldn't be easy to acquire), or some pickup truck (light blue or silver would be the ideal color). If I just purchase a sedan, I'll try to scout something efficient enough in a silver/grey, or blue color. Maybe red or yellow...

14. handlebar bart

handlebar bart Call Me a Cab

Jeep Green

15. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

My last car was BR green, but we didn't get along, so I was a bit put off the colour (as well as VW Polos)!

16. davestlouis

davestlouis Practically Family

The only really bright colored car I've ever owned was a "reflex yellow" VW Beetle turbo that I bought for my evil x-wife while she was my evil wife...it was a bright school-bus yellow color with a black interior and she just HAD to have it. Then she ran off with the cop she met online...

Anyway, I don't like bright colors, I want to blend in and be invisible.

17. Salty O'Rourke

Salty O'Rourke Practically Family

My current rides are silver (Ford Fusion) and white (Ranger pickup). Past vehicles have been mostly silver/gray, with a couple of tans, a royal blue, and a really sick looking green (1974 VW Campmobile).

18. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

davestlouis

Sounds like if she was so evil she did you a favor. lol Sorry.

19. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

A silver '94 Jaguar XJS convertible.