Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardboard luggage?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
icecold said:
hey there, I have a question about cardboard luggage, such as the one sold by manufactum:

http://www.manufactum.com/Produkt/1....html?choiceId=1455&amount=1&gravureText=null

the aesthetics is spot on, but cardboard? I'm curious if that material has ever been used in vintage luggage, and just as important, how is the durability? I'd imagine that it breaks easily!
Thanks for any comments

There was a *lot* of inexpensive cardboard luggage made during the Era. Some of it was heavy, sturdy board -- I have a cardboard overnight bag out in my garage, and it's as durable as any other bag I've owned -- while the cheapest kind was very flimsy. The stereotypical image of a small-town rube going to the big city for the first time would have him carrying a bulging cardboard suitcase tied closed with a piece of rope, so these were definitely common enough to have made their way into the culture of the time.

icecold

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
There was a *lot* of inexpensive cardboard luggage made during the Era. Some of it was heavy, sturdy board -- I have a cardboard overnight bag out in my garage, and it's as durable as any other bag I've owned -- while the cheapest kind was very flimsy. The stereotypical image of a small-town rube going to the big city for the first time would have him carrying a bulging cardboard suitcase tied closed with a piece of rope, so these were definitely common enough to have made their way into the culture of the time.

thanks a lot (and the imagery was a riot :eusa_clap :) ).
given the low prices, chances are that manufactum stuff is of the flimsy kind, bug given the price, it's worth the risk!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I so hope it was not re-inforced with Asbestos!"

400_F_5912328_A1nuaNigBxwjcWhkvhm6z46cpmUgEmQE.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran