Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care for pull-up leather boots?

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Hey Folks,

I recently bought me some very nice Kochmann Boots and they are made from pull-up leather. http://cgi.ebay.de/Kochmann-Leder-O...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5832003901950270201

I just realised that they are not very water-proof, frankly because it didn`t know the features of this kind of leather before. What kind of care product would you recommend for those boots? Sno-Seal? Leather fat or oil? I'm hoping for you guys with more experience in nice boots:)

Thanks in advance!

MissMittens

One Too Many
The best thing for natural leather would be Mink Oil. I don't use or recommend anything else for natural leather because a lot of products inhibit the leathers' ability to breathe, and eventually cause cracking

kyboots

Practically Family
Mink oil is certainly recommended by many manufacturers, but I don't know if it's the only exclusive thing. I do like it and use it some, but there are recommendations for bees oil, neatsfoot oil, and others. Lanolin is important. I would suggest talking to the owner of a good leather store and also hear their recommendations.I am sure the maker of these boots has some too. A few things that I also might suggest: alternate wearing the boots ( I think most important ); never wearing them 2 days in a row, and invest in shoe trees for the boots( or even paper ) really keeps their shape and form. It is also important to let the leather slow dry when they get wet and never put them down near a heater; to use a good non-detergent cleaner especially keeping road salt out of the leather. I also have a personal preference of not using saddle soap. Keeping them clean, alternate wearing the boots,using shoe trees or something else for the shape, never rapid dry them, and using a good wax or oil on occasion will keep them looking great for the next 20 years. Good-looking boots, enjoy !; it may be the first pair of many.----John

Last edited:

Horseman978

New in Town
I second the opinion that there's nothing worse for boot leather than using saddle soap!!:mad:

Although I can highly recommend the products from Bickmore :eusa_clap I've been using the Bick 1 cleaner and Bick 4 conditioner for a couple of years now on all my leather goods (boots, saddle, tack), and it's AMAZING stuff!! Comes highly recommended.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner