Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CARHARTT jacket...i dun went country

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
strolled into my local boot barn (that's the name of the store) today.

i parked my boat in the lake that was the parking lot during the current storms, and went into boot barn for a new pair of cowboy boots...well, half boot zippered (such a panzy, i know) ... and there iT was!

the last one in the store, a carhartt black "Blanket Lined Duck Detroit Jacket". it was really none other than the eastman luftwaffe jacket i'd just purchased except in black denim with corduroy collar...or, just as easily, it was the aero highwayman...i knew my wallet was going to say bye bye to another $65.

simply amazing jacket. when i got home the measurements in 46 were basically the same as my eastman luftwaffe size 46...1/4" bigger armpit to armpit, and 3/4" longer sleeve length...had the waist cinches made out of snaps and denim...had the 1-piece back...had the aero bi-swing back around the back shoulders...yiXe

i know this forum is usually on the various leather out there, but this is such an amazing jacket, and so much a part of the classic aero/luftwaffe design history, i had to mention it...

yeah, i dun went country...here's the little doll that did it to me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000WKZ3K/ref=dp_image_text?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&img=MAIN&color_name=1

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's a classic Johnny. I want one, it's the alternative to leather for those who want to save but want the capacity to take hard wear.

Is it heavy? The weather here is generally mild - do you think I could use one in Australia? I guess our weather is a bit like yours in LA.

Cheers

cptjeff

Practically Family
I'm a fan of canvas work jackets. Have one myself in a similar style, and it sees a fair amount of wear.

Don't like the logo patch though. I would take that off.

Papa M

A-List Customer
cptjeff said:
Don't like the logo patch though. I would take that off.

Yes, it is slightly unfortunate that Carhartt has a bit of an association with Urban Skate culture and Hip-Hop. They make some great clothing at terrific prices - so I don't blame you for making it "de-griffe".

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Papa M said:
Yes, it is slightly unfortunate that Carhartt has a bit of an association with Urban Skate culture and Hip-Hop. They make some great clothing at terrific prices - so I don't blame you for making it "de-griffe".

[huh]

I've NEVER seen it associated with Urban Skate Culture. Down here in the hills it's a redneck/country thing.

I'm not ashamed to say I own one. They're truly amazing things. My entire family wears them. They'll keep you warm in a West Virginia Winter. Carhartt, Justin cowboy boots, Tractor supply is your best friend for clothes, and a stetson cowboy hat, and you have my brother :rolleyes: Ditch the tractor supply cloths (ok, ok, I do own some) add a flat cap or fedora, and you've got me lol

So glad you decided to join the realm of warm country folk :p

Papa M

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:
[huh]

I've NEVER seen it associated with Urban Skate Culture. Down here in the hills it's a redneck/country thing.

Over here in Europe it became a high street fashion brand some years back. The baggy-pants youth brigades love Carhartt.

pipvh

Practically Family
Great jackets. I've owned one (in tan) for about 20 years - the Duck Detroit, not the Roper. Worked in it, hiked in it. Still going strong (and still standing up on its own, in fact!). Some spots of creosote here and there only add to the charm.

Brian R.

New in Town
Any type of carhartt is a nice jacket. I usually wear a brown duck jean. Doesn't look to bad with the brown fedora either.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Papa M said:
Over here in Europe it became a high street fashion brand some years back. The baggy-pants youth brigades love Carhartt.

I found this to be very surprising when I moved to the UK, but yep, Papa M is right. Theres an entire sub brand over here called Carhartt Streetwear, and they actually make some nice shirts.

http://www.carhartt-streetwear.com/

In the states however, its just a blue collar working mans brand. Farmers, Construction Workers, etc. My father was their head product photographer in the mid-90s (not the Streetwear, the regular stuff in the states).

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I love them too and have the Duck Traditional Coat/Arctic Quilt-Lined jacket, which is surprisingly warm for the weight, extremely hard wearing (i use it for work around the house and putting snow-chains on etc.), which a friend brought from the US.
However Carhartt Europe has a workwear and a streetwear division and most europeans only know the streetwear stuff, while most US people I have met can't imagine Carhartt doing such a thing as streetwear :D

Anyway, the workwear stuff is a steal!

Papa M

A-List Customer
repeatclicks said:
I found this to be very surprising when I moved to the UK, but yep, Papa M is right. Theres an entire sub brand over here.....

Not that I'm suggesting that there is anything wrong with the Skate/BMX/Hip-Hop culture.
I'm simply pointing out the incongruous juxtaposition between the radically different markets that Carhartt target.

I guess that it is no different to the marketing re-directions that Levi's took. Originally blue-collar workwear; eventually youth fashion statement.

I wonder how Burberry are doing with their attempts to remove their association to the so-called "Chav" culture here in England. That was a market turn that was clearly undesirable to the brand and its original middle/upper class clientelle.

willyk57

New in Town
Congratulations on adding a great jacket to your collection. My now wife bought me my Detroit Jacket the first Christmas we were dating. Sadly, after eight years the jacket was retired this week.

That jacket will serve you well.

WillyK

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Hey All,
Does anybody know the difference between Carhartt's Duck and Duck Sandstone fabrics?
I have a feeling that it's just that the surface is brushed.
The Duck Sandstone version of the Detroit jacket comes in more colors.
Lenny

mattfink

Practically Family
I have a black zip Carhartt winter jacket that I've owned for years....little longer than the one you posted.

TomS

One Too Many
I have a Carhartt Detroit jacket that's about 10 years old. The thing wears like iron, and still looks good.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Me Too

I have the Detroit duck jacket in brown. I have had it several years and like the fit and style. It fits pretty much like my Highwayman, but with a bit more room in the shoulder area. Good purchase Johnny. Now I am thinking about a black one. See what you started!

2 Carhartt coats...

I have a Ranch coat & a Chore coat by Carhartt. Ranch coats are pretty popular at the cool weather horse shows. They have snaps that let you sit in a saddle better. The Chore coat is what I use for mucking out stalls. They are both blanket lined. I also have a Carhartt vest that I use to layer under them when it really gets chilly. These are tough coats & very functional too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21