Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for cotton oxford shirts

felix03

One of the Regulars
Hey all,
Could you give advice for caring for my cotton oxford shirts? The thing I like best about cotton oxford is the rich, full texture. The problem is when I iron them they go all flat. I'm reluctant to stick them in the dryer b/c of shrinkage. So how do I get rid of the wrinkles while still keeping the fullness in the fabric? Thanks.

Edward

Bartender
I just low temperature machine wash, line dry (I consciously chose not to buy a dryer - don't like 'em), then hand iron. Never had a problem.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
As much as a "pain" it may be, hand washing shirts is one of the very best way to take care of shirts, and you will find the shirt will last much longer. While you hang the shirt to dry, check it every ten minutes or so, smooth the wrinkles and sort of shape the collar and sleeves and cuff areas. When the shirt is dry, then iron. If you just wish to "smooth" the shirt out, take your time low heat iron. If you want to "military crease" the shirt, spray bottle with distilled water and hot as hell steam iron.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Haven't had a drier for years, we use a kitchen airer....one of those wooden slatted things with cast iron/aluminium ends that you pull up on a 'rope'....just make sure you fasten it into something solid as full of clothes they are heavy...we put clothes up around 5pm and generally they are dry by the same time the following day....one of the best things we ever bought by far!

Claudio

Vendor
never had problems with oxford cloth so not much to add to what has already been said: do not use dryer (ruisn clothes IMO), and maybe you can try to hang the shirt on a plastic clothes hanger to dry (rather than clipping it up as per normal)?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
hang the shirt on a plastic clothes hanger to dry (rather than clipping it up as per normal)?
Yes and preferably one with nice round shoulders.

image.jpg

Also, after washing, roll the shirt in a towel ( do not wring) to remove excess water before hanging to dry.

And, if possible, iron while still slightly damp rather than bone dry. If dry, use a water spray bottle to dampen shirt before ironing.

That's all I got.......

felix03

One of the Regulars
Thanks all for the great advice! Gonna try the gentle cycle/cold water wash followed by the hang dry, followed by low-heat ironing while still damp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925