Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartoon shows that you remember watching as a kid

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
When I was a little kid, my favorite cartoon was Clutch Cargo. I can still hear the bongo drums that started his theme music.

Then, when I was a little older, I really liked Top Cat. But even then, I suspected there must have been some adult humor in Top Cat. My folks would watch it with me and would be knee-slapping silly at stuff that I didn't even think was funny.

AF

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My favorite was probably Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. I also liked the whole Warner Brothers group, Foghorn Leghorn, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, and Speedy Gonzales. I also watched Tom and Jerry, Underdog, Boris and Natash, Rocky and Bowinkel (spelling).

Back in the early 1970's they were already working on banning Road Runner because of all of the violence in the cartoon. I remember "emotionally" telling some stuffy lady that "Unless I watch all of that violent stuff on cartoons, I have to, I have to go do it myself (hangs head)..."

Hey AF,

Didn't Clutch Cargo use real mouths in their cartoons? Actually, if I remember correctly...that the cartoon was really a drawn picture, "stills" with a story line...with only the dog "Paddlefoot" not having a movable mouth. Also "Space Angels" was another cartoon done with the same effects as "Clutch Cargo"...and you are right, AF...once you've heard the opening theme music to "Clutch Cargo" you can't get it out of your head!

Jim

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hey AF,

Didn't Clutch Cargo use real mouths in their cartoons? Actually, if I remember correctly...that the cartoon was really a drawn picture, "stills" with a story line...with only the dog "Paddlefoot" not having a movable mouth. Also "Space Angels" was another cartoon done with the same effects as "Clutch Cargo"...and you are right, AF...once you've heard the opening theme music to "Clutch Cargo" you can't get it out of your head!
Jim

clutch_cargo.jpg

Doom-Ta-Da-Doom-Doom-Doom-Ta-Doom-Doom!

I think you're right about 'ol Clutch's mouth.

AF

Hey, AF...

Just went online and saw a complete episode of "Space Angel"..."Space Highjackers" on youtube...The art work is top notch, (comic book style). If you look at the spaceship "Starduster" it looks almost like the jet plane on Jonny Quest. I don't know if you have seen Space Angel before but I was really locked into the whole space thing...Mercury and Gemini programs was full speed ahead, during the early 60s and pulled a lot of kids like me into watching anything that was space related. I wish I knew more about downloading on the computer...I bet some of the Loungers would like to see some of these early cartoons...also they have DVDs with Clutch Cargo and Space Angel, for sale...along with others as well.

Jim

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Animated or no, this is one of the coolest title sequence ever done for television!

[video=youtube;D88g1vCydZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D88g1vCydZk&feature=related[/video]

Doug

The Jetsons! :)

Remember when 2000 was still a long way away? We all thought by that time we'd be zipping along in those Jetsons space cars. I still can't believe that 2000 is already the past! :(:mad:

[video=youtube;OZL3l8iCA4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL3l8iCA4k&feature=related[/video]

Japan doesn't seem to have a problem using weapons in their cartoons...only in the States! But I agree Tom, that the episode "Robot Spy"...was one of the coolest for Jonny Quest. I remember a couple of other episodes that I thought were pretty good...something about a swamp...graveyard of ships...frogmen...and the other is when Race dogfights some Baron in South America...Don't know the titles, but I remember they were pretty good. Also check out Space Angel on youtube...its pretty '50s style but the art work is really good!

Jim

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Jetsons! :)

Remember when 2000 was still a long way away? We all thought by that time we'd be zipping along in those Jetsons space cars. I still can't believe that 2000 is already the past! :(:mad:

Hi

My parents bought the World Book Encyclopedia in about 1966-68. It had pictures of magnetic or otherwise floating cars taking you to grandma's house. The car had lots of chrome, Dad in a suite and hat, Mom in a dress and a hat, I think both were smoking. Note that you didn't DRIVE to grandma's house anymore, the car took you there.

Later

Gene

Practically Family
Ren & Stimpy (yes, I'm only 26). When I watch it now I can see how much of an homage it was to classic cartoons.

[video=youtube;BdlVcPxTd6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdlVcPxTd6k&feature=related[/video]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
When I was a little kid, my favorite cartoon was Clutch Cargo. I can still hear the bongo drums that started his theme music.

Then, when I was a little older, I really liked Top Cat. But even then, I suspected there must have been some adult humor in Top Cat. My folks would watch it with me and would be knee-slapping silly at stuff that I didn't even think was funny.

AF

I used to babysit a little boy whose parents told me he was allowed to watch The Simpsons. One night there was the episode where Bart does a ridealong in a police car, and they pull up outside a sleazy motel and the cop says "There's Mayor Quimby's car. He's polling the electorate". I burst out laughing and the little boy did NOT understand what I found funny. Fortunately.

I don't think my favourite cartoon has been mentioned - Battle of the Planets. I also loved Pepe le Pew, Rocky & Bullwinkle and Dangermouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo