Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartoon shows that you remember watching as a kid

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back in the early to min 90's I used to watch Centurions reruns on Cartoon Network, Batman: The Animated Series on Fox Kids, Batman Beyond on Kids WB in the late 90's, the remake of Johnny Quest that never really took off, as well as the Magic Schoolbus along with a show that had the teenage son of James Bond as the main character.

Magilla Gorilla, Snagle Puss,("Exit...stage right"), Jinix the Cat,(I hate mices to pieces!"), Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McDraw and his pal Bobba Louie, and his ultra ego super hero "EL Cobong"! How about some of the characters in the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show...Capt. Peach Fuzz, Mister Big, Boris and Natasha, Fearless Leader, Peabody and Sherman, Fractured Fairy Tails ( narrated by Everett Everett Horton). I'm sure I've missed a few, but all these memories of yesterdays gone by, is slowly comming back.

Jim

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Well, there are of course the classics of Bugs (What's Opera Doc and The Rabbit of Seville spring to mind). Along with the other classic cartoons, they gave us a great exposure to classical music.
However, the cartoon which was really emblematic of my time as a geeky child in the 90s would be The Magic Schoolbus. Along with Wishbone and Bill Nye the Science Guy, these were really the shows I loved to watch and now lament that kids these days don't have them.

Big fan of Bill Nye and Wishbone too, but I don't think those really classify as 'cartoons.'

I think it's funny that me, growing up in the nineties and early twenty-first century watch some of the same shows as people who were kids in the fifties, sixties, and seventies. Now, there is this overload of modern cartoons and within the past decade everything classic was just been pushed out. Not that each generation didn't have their 'modern' show, but they still had older ones...

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I'm a HUGE fan of the original Jonny Quest! (By the way there is no H in the way his name is spelled) I've got all 26 episodes of the original show on DVD.

Also a big Looney Tunes fan. I think I identify most with Marvin Martian. I also love the Goofy "how to" cartoons of the 40's and 50's.

Doug

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In the early 50's there were no made for TV cartoons at all, so what we got were lots of Out of the Inkwell (which I believe were produced in the 20's) and Farmer Gray, always chasing those pesky mouses. But eventually Jay Hanna came up with the first ever cartoon show produced for TV, Crusader Rabbit. Hardly any real animation, just stills with voice-over. As a 5 year old I didn't even notice the lack of animation, I LOVED Crusader Rabbit.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
In the early 50's there were no made for TV cartoons at all, so what we got were lots of Out of the Inkwell (which I believe were produced in the 20's) and Farmer Gray, always chasing those pesky mouses. But eventually Jay Hanna came up with the first ever cartoon show produced for TV, Crusader Rabbit. Hardly any real animation, just stills with voice-over. As a 5 year old I didn't even notice the lack of animation, I LOVED Crusader Rabbit.

That brings back memories. Crusader Rabbit episodes were still played in Australia up until the late 70's. I loved Crusader Rabbit too :)

I also remember (and I don't think it's been mentioned) King Leonardo & his short subjects. I loved the theme song, "here comes Leonardo all his subjects too...."

Last edited:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Oh yes, I have seen the Venture Bros. It's hysterical.

I remember watching the Bugs Bunny and Road Runner Show on saturday morning cartoons. That was my first dose of Looney Tunes.
And of course the Batman and Superman animated series were a regular treat.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Looney Tunes, Hercules, Astro Boy, Inspector Gadget, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, HeMan, Transformers, ThunderCats, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, (ohjeez this is making me nostalgic!), Duck Tales.

I never really liked Spiderman, or Scooby Doo.

I never really could see the humour in "Samurai Pizza Cats", maybe I was too young. Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and Pinky and the Brain had their moments.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I didnt realize just how many cartoons I actually watched. A lot of you mentioned stuff I left out.

I wasnt a kid when they first aired, but the original 6 episodes of Ren and Stimpy were brilliant. Also, the Saturday morning versions of Bugs Bunny and crew were 70s versions of the 1940s original and pale in comparison.

Although shows like Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5 and Stingray were marionettes and not cartoons, they were still fun to watch and favorites of mine.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I grew up in the 70s, and recall each fall there'd be a new season of cartoons, just like dramas and sitcoms. I have memories of waking up at about 6, and waking my sister up to see the "new cartoons". I recall a lot of the live action shows, H.R. Puff n Stuff, Lidsville, The Bugaloos (sp?) and something called Lost (not Lost in Space, another campy fave) that had Jim Neighbors and Ruth Buzzy in it. The Hilarious House of Frightenstein was a Canadian favourite, and of course Mr. Dressup, Polka Dot Door (both Canadian).

Cartoon favs of course were the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes. A Buffalo NY station showed oldies like Tom and Jerry, Beenie and Cecil, and Hekyl and Jekyl (sp?), were they crows or jackdaws? Roger Ramjet was great, Spider Man, and anyone else watch Rocket Robin Hood?

Donald in Mathmagic Land

This is the cartoon that takes me back to my childhood. It was always a special treat when they used to show these films at school back in the '70s. I can still hear the old Bell & Howell projector behind me as I watch this.

[video=youtube;-6w9VYbptPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6w9VYbptPQ[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo