Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartoon shows that you remember watching as a kid

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I remember Saturday mornings with the Warner Bros. cartoons, and then Sunday had the old Popeye and other cartoons on KTLA Channel 5 with host Tom Patton. He'd sketch out the up coming cartoon character and introduce them with reverence. Right after that was a healthy dose of the Three Stooges. Now those were good cartoons to build memories on.

Cheers!

Dan

Dragonia

New in Town
mysterygal said:
Betty Boop's attire is not something I want my girls thinking it's proper for a lady to wear...I am a very over protective parent..I'll admit that. But this is how I see my kids: Right now, their brains are little sponges absorbing everything. I have (in the scheme of things) a short window of time with them to try to instill the best moral character and show them the best role models so they can be the best they can be. There is no Disney in this house either...which shocks a lot of parents also.

I have met several people like you. But, my questions are always the same things... How do you expect the kids to deal when they are out in the real world? Isn't it important to be realistic and show them both sides and just direct them to what's right? I assume your kids are banned from watching or knowing about world affairs? So many of these kids get out there and can't handle what else is going on around them/in the big picture. This can bring dire consequences. I hope you know what your kids abilities are. Maybe you're from a small town brimming with Christian values, but most of the world just isn't like that.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Being from a small town or a big city, Christian or not, kids need to have good values instilled into them. I DO NOT shelter them to the point where they are oblivious to the realities of the world, that would be horribly unfair to them, nor do I have intention of just throwing them out to the wolves and seeing how they fare. I teach my girls things of the world, but according to their maturity level and what is age appropriate.
The world if full of teaching opportunities, and many times I use people's consequences(either sucesses or losses/struggles) a lesson tool to why it's important to make good choices.
I want my girls to be strong women who don't have to feel like they need to dress like Britney Spears to stand out...my advice is, looking like a true lady makes a woman stand out 100 times more than any Spears look alike.
Most looney tunes and such I feel are more teenage and adult level viewing.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, I agree, most cartoons we all enjoy from the golden era would be more enjoyed with maturity. I didn't watch cartoons when I was 4 or 5... when I was about 6-8 I watched toons. The kinds I really enjoy today are WB and Disney from the 1930's to the early 1950's. I'm on a Goofy kick right now, I love his classic "Mr. Wheeler" when he's a mild guy till he gets behind the wheel of his car! I just die when I see that one! I wish it was out on DVD, I need to have that! It's so funny! Disney cartoons were great in the 30's to the 50's, after that, they lost something. Donald Duck is right up there with the rest! Cracks me up!

Bugs Bunny is also great, I also enjoy "The Three Bears" so funny! Tex Avery is swell also... his early work I just love!

Pre-war, war-time and post-war toons had Moxie! I like them very much!
Betty Boop, early Boop is good, I know her dress isn't very modest but, I find the toons appropriate for most ages... I know I'm a guy but, I never looked at cartoons for fashion tips. The real trouble in the world are magazines at the check-out counter... keep your girls away from them!!! Early Boop is simple and sweet, loves every one and can have a positive influence I think.

Also, setting a good example for your girls is the best way to instill morals and values. ;) I’m sure there are no questions here that you do that already!

=WR=

PS. Here's a link to YouTube... this Goofy toon is so funny! How to play football is great fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ3RPPySgUQ&search=Goofy

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've always loved goofy! he is for sure scary behind the wheel!
I also still get a kick out of watching the pepe le' pu (sp?) toons (the french skunk that terrorized that poor kitty):D

Dragonia

New in Town
mysterygal said:
Being from a small town or a big city, Christian or not, kids need to have good values instilled into them. I DO NOT shelter them to the point where they are oblivious to the realities of the world, that would be horribly unfair to them, nor do I have intention of just throwing them out to the wolves and seeing how they fare. I teach my girls things of the world, but according to their maturity level and what is age appropriate.
The world if full of teaching opportunities, and many times I use people's consequences(either sucesses or losses/struggles) a lesson tool to why it's important to make good choices.
I want my girls to be strong women who don't have to feel like they need to dress like Britney Spears to stand out...my advice is, looking like a true lady makes a woman stand out 100 times more than any Spears look alike.
Most looney tunes and such I feel are more teenage and adult level viewing.

Everyone is different with the way they parent their kids. I would only worry if the women around kids as they are growing up dress and act poorly. I think that whatever it may be, an explaination always works. People often forget that kids are able to understand things when explained. Look at all those kids who grew up watching the old toons and seem to be fine. What about Barbie and all that. Just by playing with one will it make kids want to be thin and sexy? I don't think so. It's a doll. These people who blow it out of proportion just ask for the kids to catch on.

*LovePotion*

New in Town
wgwen00052.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MK said:
I won't let my kids watch most modern cartoons. The characters are rude and crass punks. Same goes for most kids on tv these days. You cannot beat golden era cartoons.

Wow, thats interesting, cause I think Steamboat Willie is one of the most violent cartoon Ive ever watched :)

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Watching Popeye is what made me want to be an animator. As far as clasics, you cant go wrong with Rocky and Bullwinkle, the Flinstones, or even more recently, Danger Mouse.

But my FAVORITE oldie is "An Itch in Time" from the 1940s about a hick flea who just wouldnt stop eating. He'd sing "Food around the corner . . . " I remember seeing that as a kid, now you cant. Damn PC-ness.

LD

OMG! :eek: My cousin and I were singing that song tonight! (we're crazy like that) I hadn't even read this thread before but she was saying how she wished the old cartoons would come on again instead of the horrible stuff cartoon network has now. When they first started years back, you could catch all the good old cartoons on at any time. Then I mentioned this little flea guy and we started to sing the song. Very eerie.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
OMG! :eek: My cousin and I were singing that song tonight! (we're crazy like that) I hadn't even read this thread before but she was saying how she wished the old cartoons would come on again instead of the horrible stuff cartoon network has now. When they first started years back, you could catch all the good old cartoons on at any time. Then I mentioned this little flea guy and we started to sing the song. Very eerie.

itchintimebite211.jpg

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I LOVE that one. lol

Another favorite of mine is the bear who wasn't a bear about this bear who everyone thinks is a man but he's actually a bear. When he tells people he's a bear they tell him, "you're a silly man in a fur coat who needs a shave."

Also, there is this little witch with her broomstick, she keeps going "and away we go." I'm not sure if this is the same with who sings "a cup of tea, a cookie and you-who". Love that.

There is also a cartoon with a ball who was in love with a squiggly line but a straight line loved her and he does all of these bending things to get her to notice him. I wonder if these toons could be bought?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
The kinds I really enjoy today are WB and Disney from the 1930's to the early 1950's. I'm on a Goofy kick right now, I love his classic "Mr. Wheeler" when he's a mild guy till he gets behind the wheel of his car! I just die when I see that one! I wish it was out on DVD, I need to have that! It's so funny!

That's one hilarious 'toon Root! I think of it every time I have to drive across town, with all the crazy drivers and road rage that occur in this city where it seems like there's about one third as much road as is necessary to facilitate a smooth traffic flow!

Hondo

One Too Many
My favorites: Tom & Jerry, Classic Bugs Bunny, and the classic 1930’s Popeye cartoons. I hadn’t seen this thread, I’m grateful to all of you and opinions varied of many subjects may not be just “favorites” still well thought out.

One cartoon that’s rarely heard from today is Walt Kelly’s Pogo, always a favorite of mine since childhood, its not animation like toons, but it was a great word play with characters (read between the lines) really funny once you get it.

Growing up as a child, I saw many early (reruns) of b/w cartoons on TV, I can take you back, but I won’t go that far, I’ll say my favorites were the 1930’s classic, I never tire of them.
Disney's Fantasia I found boring but only enjoyed the colors or animations, which were cool, Walt Disney was a different time period, we all should remember.

Lady Day, I enjoy your threads, posts, links, Thanks ;)

Note: Bettie Boop was as most should know, meant for adults but children.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Dragonia said:
Everyone is different with the way they parent their kids. I would only worry if the women around kids as they are growing up dress and act poorly. I think that whatever it may be, an explaination always works. People often forget that kids are able to understand things when explained. Look at all those kids who grew up watching the old toons and seem to be fine. What about Barbie and all that. Just by playing with one will it make kids want to be thin and sexy? I don't think so. It's a doll. These people who blow it out of proportion just ask for the kids to catch on.
agreed, everyone has their own parenting techniques and ideas. With me, I had too much thrown at me at one time...too young, raising my kids, I realize the same thing, they have a better understanding of things than we may realize. About the barbie thing: I dont have a problem with barbie's...well, most of them anyways, I will not buy my girls brat dolls are the barbies who have the mini skirts and caked on make up....It's important to have them feel good about their bodies. Not that I myself would complain if I had a fiqure like Betty Boop :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Not just Betty, but all the classic theatrical cartoons were made primarily for grownup audiences. Especially in the pre-code era, they tended to reflect the overall feel of other films of the day, so there's definitely risque references in the pre-1934 stuff -- sex, drugs, all that sort of thing.

I love the early Fleischer sound cartoons, but I'd never show a five year old the Betty Boop version of "Snow White," or "Bimbo's Initiation," or "Boop-Boop-A-Doop" or films like that, just like I wouldn't program a kiddie matinee with features like "Baby Face" or "Night Nurse." I think part of respecting the films and the era in which they were produced is not underestimating the adult nature of their content.

My own favorites? I'm a sucker for the mid-thirties Warner Bros. musical/celebrity caricature cartoons. They aren't as brassy and aggressive as the forties product, but they've got some lovely caricature work and the musical scores are often delightful.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cartoons are for grown ups

Thats what angers me about where cartoon have gone these days. Disney was the first to exclusively market animation to children. Nearly all cartoons before 1958 were shown before films and meant for adults.

I get cheesed that because of this now, we cant get these great jems, as PC as they were NOT, to own because of catroons condentation of being mainly for children now.
Grrrr

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav