Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casablanca 'style' white Tuxedo / Dinner Jacket

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
PADDY said:
61mm_ep207_don_betty_760x535_7219.jpg

66mm_ep_207_don_betty_760x535_7599.jpg

Look closely at the photos; Don and Betty are inside the Oviatt Building's "Cicada" restaurant.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
Please do check your bowtie. I recently saw a Palm Beach bowtie label and I believe there was the fabric content noted on it.

This is getting "curiouser and curiouser". I'm wondering whether the label is from before or after Goodall sold the Palm Beach Cloth name. In the '50s, when the name was sold, Palm Beach Cloth became simply "Palm Beach", and artificial fibers were added to the fabric.

Feraud said:
Please do check your bowtie. I recently saw a Palm Beach bowtie label and I believe there was the fabric content noted on it.

Woudn't you know that I forgot to check last night. :eusa_doh:
I am sure this bowtie is from before the 1954 sale of The Sanford Goodall mills to Burlington.
I'll check tonight for sure.
If someone happens to have one sitting around, check and post it here. :D

filfoster

One Too Many
Dinner at 8

Mike K. said:
I bought a dinner jacket very similar to this at an eBay store. Off-white, 100% wool, double-breasted, shawl collar. Since I already had a black dinner jacket and pants, I figured this one would pair nicely with the black pants to give me more options. I might add two additional buttons above the existing ones to give it a more traditional look.
IvoryDB.jpg
I just got my Magnoli dinner jacket and trousers today (how on earth do they pack these in a box the size of a small city telephone book?) and it looks exactly like this except for the cuff buttons (Magnoli uses three).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
And the labels says:

50% rayon
35% mohair
10% cotton
5%

Interesting! There's something mysterious about this, too: the presence of rayon. The original Palm Beach Cloth came out (I believe in the early 'teens) before rayon was used for clothing textiles. At some point (the '20s? the '30s? the '40s?), Goodall changed Palm Beach Cloth's fabric content and percentages in order to include rayon. Clearly, at some point Goodall also decided not to keep those number secret anymore. Fascinating!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
We're expecting to pics soon of you wearing this...:)

filfoster said:
I just got my Magnoli dinner jacket and trousers today (how on earth do they pack these in a box the size of a small city telephone book?) and it looks exactly like this except for the cuff buttons (Magnoli uses three).

filfoster

One Too Many
Pix

chanteuseCarey said:
We're expecting to pics soon of you wearing this...:)

I am almost ashamed to post mentioning my garments because I am so handicapped at the picture technology! I would love to post some! Perhaps my daughters, when home for the holidays will oblige with a few. They have all the gizmos and know-how.
I warn you though, I have never been threatened with a modeling career although I have the brains, not the looks for it.

Marc Chevalier said:
Interesting! There's something mysterious about this, too: the presence of rayon. The original Palm Beach Cloth came out (I believe in the early 'teens) before rayon was used for clothing textiles. At some point (the '20s? the '30s? the '40s?), Goodall changed Palm Beach Cloth's fabric content and percentages in order to include rayon. Clearly, at some point Goodall also decided not to keep those number secret anymore. Fascinating!

50% rayon
32% mohair
12%cotton
6% nylon

I didn't get to finish the list out right. :eusa_doh: The Palm Beach fabric was certainly changed after WWII or maybe even a bit before. Before that it is neither the same weave nor the same fabric. The earliest mention I have seen of the Palm Beach fabric is 1916. [huh]
Now have a heart atttack about the inclusion of nylon. ;) :p

CheBsAs

New in Town
Thank you for this thread!

I would like to thank all of those who posted photos to this thread. I copied many of them and brought them to my tailor’s shop in Buenos Aires, Argentina in order to explain to him what I wanted. Attached is a photo of myself wearing the finished dinner jacket shaking hands with Francisco. I’m very happy with the way it turned out, and would not have been able to find the particular details necessary if it hadn't been for the excellent images you all gathered and shared

A question, has anybody faced any issues with their jackets changing color or yellowing over time? Do you have any tips on maintenance and/or storage? I hope to keep and maintain this dinner jacket for a very long time.

Have a nice day!

9858895286_4fc2654b25_o.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21