Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casablanca 'style' white Tuxedo / Dinner Jacket

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yes, if he wore just a black tux, that would have been sharp too... but I figure that "Hollywood" would have liked him to wear white to stand out from the rest I guess... who knows what goes on in those costumer's small little minds some times lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
avedwards said:
What about a black single breasted dinner jacket? Should be period accurate, at least in 1930s films they are worn. Would have been equally practical for the action sequences.

In that sequence, Indy is in Shanghai. The white dinner jacket looks more, well, exotic -- in keeping with the far-flung, steamy 'oriental' locale.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Short Round should have made fun of the single-breasted jacket, though. "You left your tux at home, Doctor Jones? That's a suit jacket you stole off some guy, huh?" :p

WH1

Practically Family
Djupis said:
They didn't!? :eek:

Oh, and I couldn't help but think of this, after all that talk about mess jackets:
JWb-726047.jpg

Jeeves would not approve.

That is a truly great picture. We really need an icon/smilie of jeeves looking disapprovingly. It would be most useful in some of the threads. Or perhaps a Mark Chevalier might be more appropriate to the lounge.;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Forgotten Man said:
A dinner mess jacket has cloth covered or mother of pearl buttons I believe and has no epaulets. The mess jackets that are worn by waiters or cruise ship staff have gold buttons and epaulets and also a cuff stripe or two.

Which means that Bertie Wooster (see photo above) is dressed like a waiter.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Which means that Bertie Wooster (see photo above) is dressed like a waiter.

Which is precisely why Jeeves disapproved of it if I recall correctly. Bertie was quite fond of it because the ladies would always try to get his attention.

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
A dinner mess jacket has cloth covered or mother of pearl buttons I believe and has no epaulets. The mess jackets that are worn by waiters or cruise ship staff have gold buttons and epaulets and also a cuff stripe or two.

It is also best worn with a cummerbund and turndown collar, not a black waistcoat and stiff wing collar. And although I prefer off-white when it comes to dinner jackets, mess jackets are small enough that they look crisp and sharp in pure white. The off-white worn by Wooster comes across as dingy.

From a 1933 issue of Apparel Arts:

1933_AA_v3_n1_mess_jackets_sweeteened_crop.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
In that sequence, Indy is in Shanghai. The white dinner jacket looks more, well, exotic -- in keeping with the far-flung, steamy 'oriental' locale.

How about a white single breasted shawl lapel tux? That would be pracitcal. Would it be period?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Is cream accepted @ CANNES....

thought some of you might like this

Inglorious Basterds premiere at Cannes
http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/cannes-heat-day-3-on-the-cote-dazur/#more-14417

For this very special occasion I wore a cream silk jacket with a shawl collar that got a lot of attention along the Croisette — or was it the low-cut black lace dress of my colleague walking by my side?
— we arrive at the first gate in the front of the Palais. Here the young, very badly dressed security guys take one look at me and tell me I cannot get in because I am not wearing a tuxedo. I protest that I am wearing a tuxedo. They call over an older, better dressed security guy and I explain in my Italian/French that I am wearing a tuxedo, just not a black tuxedo. He kindly suggests that I follow him and takes me to the service entrance, where all of the tuxedo policy offenders are rounded up and judged by the security-guy Style Council. My turn: black pattern shoes, okay. Black tuxedo pants, okay. White pleated tuxedo shirt with cuffs and silver cufflinks, okay. Black silk grosgrain bow tie that matches the cummerbund and tuxedo stripes on the pants, okay. Cream dinner jacket with shawl collar, maybe. But in the end, they let me pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112